Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Yak 9T photo.
Sovietwarplanes
May 02, 2024, 01:17:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yak 9T photo.  (Read 8240 times)
barneybolac

« on: July 26, 2013, 09:50:58 PM »

I found this profile on line & I would like to find a photo of it if possible. It was listed with this  Unit: 113th GvIAP, 10th GvIAD, 10th IAK, 2nd VA.

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/15/1/7

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 10:36:15 PM »

Hi,
the colors and lines suggest an artwork of EP.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 11:58:12 PM »

suspicious, to say the least:

113th giap was equipped with Lavochkins, first LaGG-3s, then La-5s.  GSS Capt. Orlov was KIA in Dec 1943 while flying a La-5FN; Orlov has never flown on Yak-9Ts...  Lips Sealed
Quick internet search didn't produce any photos; only one profile...

Massimo's comment explains everything...  Tongue

Regards,
KL
barneybolac

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 01:28:33 AM »

Thank you.
Thought this profile seemed a little to good to be true.
bbrought

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 01:49:11 PM »

Hi,
the colors and lines suggest an artwork of EP.
Regards
Massimo

Massimo, you are correct. I thought I had seen this before. See the following page:
http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Markings/BigGuns/big_guns_2.php

The profile on that page is a slightly later version of the one posted here, with EP having changed the yellow in the stars to white. Here is what he had to say about it:

Quote from: From Hobbyvista Page
Yak-9T "White 91"
113 GIAP
Viktor Orlov
autumn1943

Quote from: From Hobbyvista Page
Hero of the Soviet Union Kpt. Viktor Orlov spent most of his flying career in the famous 42 IAP of Maj. Shinkarenko, flying various Yak-9Ts. In September 1943 he was awarded the Gold Star HSU with 18+4 confirmed victories and reassigned to the 113 GIAP. In a wonderful ceremony on the 29th, Orlov was given this stupendous presentation Yak-9T, donated by the workers of the "Baydar" Collective Farm.

"White 91" wears a typical AMT-6/-4/-7 scheme of 1943, but featuring somewhat soft color demarcation lines on the upper surfaces. The Kremlin type national markings were trimmed beautifully in yellow, and the tactical numeral was white. The spinner was painted red and white, while the vertical fin/rudder were done in red. A Guards emblem was located on both sides of the engine cowling. The inscription was given in white.

Sadly, Kpt. Orlov was killed shortly after receiving this machine in an epic battle. On 9 December 1943 Orlov and his flight of six aircraft rushed to the rescue of a small group of Pe-2 bombers that had been cornered by more than fifty German fighters in the Kiev area. Fighting desperately, Orlov destroyed two Messerschmitts before his machine was fatally stricken. Although he successfully bailed out, Orlov was shot in his parachute by a German pilot and killed. His body was later recovered and subsequently buried in the Kiev Victory Park with a nice plaque describing his service.

And, about the yellow changed to white:

Quote from: Erik Pilawskii
Looking over the information on "91" again, I have made some small changes to my earlier interpretation. I think the borders around the Kremlin type stars might in fact be white; a bit filthy, but white nonetheless. Other researchers who have looked at the photo more recently than myself have indicated that I did not execute the numeral correctly; I have amended it to suit their description.

BA Broughton
KL

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 10:11:18 PM »

It's typical Pilawskii:

wonderful ceremony
stupendous presentation Yak-9T
somewhat soft color demarcation lines
trimmed beautifully in yellow
epic battle
nice plaque

So descriptiv and so detached from the truth...
V.N. Orlov's biography at:  http://airaces.narod.ru/all11/orlov_vn.htm
- Orlov hasn't ever been assigned to 42 iap
- Orlov has never flown on Yaks
- Orlov was killed in an accident, not in combat

Pilawskii profile was called a lay in 2005 at:   http://rumodelism.com/gallery/img71/m1425.shtml

Вы другие боковики Пилавского посмотрите, тот же Як-9Т Орлова 113ГИАП, осень 1943 - надпись на борту переводу на руский язык не поддается: "ГСС Кап. Орлову от колхозницы им. Байдар Широградского обл." Или может эту надпись самолично делали безграмотные колхозники?))) А если учесть, что 113ГИАП осенью 1943-го уже летал на лавках, то приговор этому боковику один - лажа.

regards,
KL

bbrought

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 10:57:39 PM »

It is a conspiracy against EP, I tell you!   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Seriously though - after my post I spent some time going through my various books and I couldn't find a photograph of a Yak-9 (of any type) with a number 91. Any idea what photograph EP based his profile on? He even revised it at some point, so I take it a photograph of such an aircraft must exist (regardless of the fictional history of Orlov).

BA Broughton
KL

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 09:02:23 AM »

Any idea what photograph EP based his profile on? He even revised it at some point, so I take it a photograph of such an aircraft must exist (regardless of the fictional history of Orlov).

If he modifies his fantasy it becomes a historical fact???  Roll Eyes

Quote from: Erik Pilawskii
Looking over the information on "91" again, I have made some small changes to my earlier interpretation. I think the borders around the Kremlin type stars might in fact be white; a bit filthy, but white nonetheless. Other researchers who have looked at the photo more recently than myself have indicated that I did not execute the numeral correctly; I have amended it to suit their description.

Pilawskii has a second hand information only - he may have based his profile on a published (fictional) profile, or a description (rumor?)...
It could be some other Yak type, could be other GSS Orlov???  Presentation logo is ridiculous, could be a different kolhoz from a different Region (Shirogradska doesn't exist!!!)>
bbrought

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 09:50:37 AM »

Just to be perfectly clear: I very much doubt just about everything about that profile. I also can't make out the inscription in the profile beyond the "Г.С.С." and "орлову", so I have no clue what he tried to put in there. I completely ignored it, since we know it doesn't fit the history of the person that he claimed the aircraft to have belonged to and it certainly wouldn't be the first time he puts an inscription on a profile that made no sense.

My question was purely based on the presumption that someone at some point saw a Yak with a number 91 that looked interesting. I was just wondering if anyone else came across such a photo, which may have been the original inspiration for the profile if it wasn't completely fictional. Knowing EP's history, I obviously never exclude the possibility that it could be a completely fictional profile.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 08:33:51 AM by bbrought » Logged

BA Broughton
KL

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 10:58:05 PM »

Check here:  http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_6209_start_0.html

The same Yak-9T profile was criticized in 2008 at scalemodels.ru forum.  Presentation logo was shown as an example for broken Russian, and general stupidity.  By that time (2008), Pilawskii has already made changes:  stars were outlined in filthy white, number 91 became narrower and presentation logo became smaller and illegible.

It's interesting that changes didn't matter to Russian modellers.  To Western modellers, few changes were a proof that there was a photographic evidence behind this profile.  +1 for Pilawskii  Lips Sealed

Regards,
KL
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 11:04:39 PM by KL » Logged
B_Realistic

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 08:12:39 AM »

EP did it again. Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: