Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Polikarpov I-153 restoration
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 05:06:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Polikarpov I-153 restoration  (Read 48900 times)
xan

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2011, 08:04:59 AM »

I will look for the "fana" today
Xan
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 02:48:10 PM by xan » Logged

xan

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2011, 03:14:30 PM »

Hello friends!
I bought the fana and the paper is really great!
I propose you to digitize the paper and his traduction with google traductor. If something is not understandable, I will try to translate it with my fantastic english  Wink

here the first part of the paper (it's quite long to correct the OCR!)

well, let's go on:

in google English:

The restoration of the only surviving Polikarpov I-153
The truth under the painting

The Museum of Air and Space (MFA) Bourget told the Memorial-Flight restoration of the original single-153 Polikarpov left in the world.

This plane belongs to the museum halves the early 1950s. Road restoration of this type has a long mandatory preliminary investigative work, like that which was done with the Heinkel 162 (see Le Fana de l'Aviation No. 480).

We knew that this was taking 1-153 German war moved to Nanterre for reasons that remain to be discovered. Luckily he seemed to com-plete. Only the color green was above pects. It could have been applied previously to the museum, which suggested that below were the original colors.

During a first visit in February, it was found that the paint began to flake off because of the humidity in the shed that houses metal and textile aircraft of the Second World War, she left the show in wings a painted canvas or coated aluminum and green at the top of the vertical stabilizer, a different shade of green bottle whose aircraft is currently covered.

After removing the wings on March 5, 1-153 arrived in the workshop at Memorial Flight Dugny few days later. First priority: remove the four machine guns SchkAS to return to where they are stored MAE.
To access them, dismantling many covers removable metal was needed, which did appear several four-digit numbers painted in red on the inside of these plates and other stamped on the metal.
However, in the fuselage, the same issue was identified nine times on several pieces, the 7277 ...
Thanks to various articles published in Russia and in France by Mikhail Maslov, it is certain that the numbers belonged to the construction of F153 series 6000.7000, 8000 and 9000. However, it was clear that 1-153 was assembled with parts from several planes.
 Governments, for example, all come from different devices, the wings will be scrutinized later.

The study then showed that the fabric covering the greater part of the canvas sides of the fuselage is of Soviet origin, but German: it was tense with a typical red coat and stitched on the original features , leaving tails intact large enough canvas Soviet - the complexity of the lacing of the interlining of origin may be frightened German reparations when they attempted to repair it.
 Thus, the back and bottom of the device are still provided with their original canvas covered with a coating of aluminum color. Before 1941, "Chaika" were delivered gray aluminum. The painting received five layers of transparent coating of tension, then a final layer of coating pigmented with aluminum paint or IIA Al Aluminiovyi complemented the stabilizer. Covers and other metal parts were painted outdoors in bright gray-beige AE-9 while the metal parts inside the unit were covered with bright blue-gray paint (maybe A-14).

Apart from the fuselage, empennage elements have their original canvas. However, windows were roughly cut by the Germans on most fabric-covered items, probably to inspect the structure. They were closed with patches which also served to hide the different addicts to give a good look at I-153. Under these patches, there is therefore also the original color, not degraded. The fabric element of the tail was also covered with aluminum color, with the exception of the rudder. It was already hidden by green paint cellulose, Russian, Garlic zashchitnyl.

Once "fixed", the aircraft was painted entirely in green RLM 62 to TException lower surfaces. Strange, because the aircraft had large parts of its original coating. The repairmen had they not in their immediate possession of aluminum paint, or did they make up for that mission the unit to make it look new?

However, it must be remembered that the rudder was green, and wore the identification number 9 (see below). We also know that the rudder was not painted by the Germans, and it is possible that they have repainted the plane to standardize its appearance. They are the ones who painted new Soviet star.

The I-153 was then recovered by the Air Museum in circumstances unknown to us, it surely is when the aircraft was painted green on top and blue underneath. Identification marks were also covered. Two photographs taken between 1954 and 1962, Chalais-Meudon where was then the museum show that the fabric of the fuselage was cut again and again repaired. These patches of canvas French are recognizable by their transparent coating of tension, not red, and strips of cloth on their serrated edges.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 04:12:29 PM by xan » Logged

xan

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2011, 03:52:13 PM »

here's the second part.
the pics are very beautyfull and important to understand the paper, but I prefer if Neoking himself put them on line...

in English:

Secrets
aircraft updated

Etching delicate drift finally gave the secrets of the aircraft. On the right side, there appeared the figure 1 red with black, painted coarsely but clearly identifiable on the original foil and a red stripe outlined in black on the top.
The trace of a second number, a cover protecting the fixing axis of the rudder to the left of a red, suggesting that the plane was carrying a 2-digit code. Another stripping on the left side allowed to unveil the first digit: a red 2. In addition, a large German patch, once removed, freed most of that figure.
The aircraft is "21 red".

A detail can combine the No. 7277 to this drift. Can be seen in the middle, near the patch, the figures in this serial number in black. The most amazing is that this drift carries a manufacturer's plate with number 7396. It seems it was mounted on No. 7277 when the aircraft was unity in the USSR. Nevertheless, we can confirm that the aircraft is No. 7277.

On the left side of the drift, a new detail was clear: a "V" painted yellow on the front, which is the second part of the Roman numeral "IV" (the vertical bar being more severely degraded because it was not protected by the German linen, but is still visible).
It is this detail that allowed us to locate the aircraft on a photo taken after his capture, placed on a flatbed wagon low. It sees the "IV" is a number of German stock. Unfortunately, for legal reasons, we can not publish the photo. The identity of LI-153 is thus confirmed.

The aircraft is stripped of most of its covers and its vertical stabilizer.
The rudder current numbered 9, painted green, probably comes from another 1-153. Similarly, this picture also allows us to understand why the engine cowlings are of different serial numbers of the cell. They too were reported.

Armed with this information, Memorial Flight made contact with Russian historians who too happy to work on an airplane symbol of their heritage, exhumed the true story of 1-153 of the Museum of Air and Space.

The Polikarpov 1-153 No. 7277 was built in the factory No. 1 in Moscow, and taken into account by the WAS (Soviet Air Force) January 24, 1940. It was equipped with the engine M-62 No. 1474 (built 31 December 1939) at the time of delivery. It is probable that he participated in the Winter War, between the Soviet Union to Finland on 30 November 1939 to March 13, 1940.
On 20 August 1940, he appeared in the number of 15 IAP, fighter air regiment based in Lithuania, part of the 8th SAD (Joint Air Division), attached to Military District of the Baltic.
 1 June 1941, this unit reversa majority of its 236th and 238th 1-153 to IPA. No. 7277 was then transferred at 238 DPI (6th SAD, the Baltic Military District), based on field-Pane Vezy [Ponovezh], Lithuania.

At the time of the operation Bar-triggered Barossa June 21, 1941 - so 18 months after delivery of the 1-153 No. 7277 -, 13001-153 3001-153 hunting and assault in service with VVS. In total, within the Air Force of the Baltic, 284 1-153 were divided into six regiments.

Facing the District was then the Baltic Luftflotte 1 of Generaloberst Keller. His hunting consisted of Jagdgeschwader (wing) 54 Bf 109E and F, and the bombing of Kampfgeschwadern KG 1, KG 76 and KG 77, Ju 88 over all.

German bombers attacked airfields in the district nine in the morning of June 22 and another 11 in the afternoon. Some were strafed and bombed six to seven times. Ground, Army Group North attacked Marschall von Leeb from East Prussia to Lithuania. This group of armies, Panzer Grup-pe 4 of the 16th Army General Hoepner found himself facing the Soviet 8th Army, and returned to Lithuania and Latvia to rush to the cities of Kaunas, Memel and Riga. The ground was well taken Panevezys 26 j uin 1941, 7277 and one of its counterparts bearing the code tactics "25 red" were captured.

The photo showing IT-153 No. 7277 "21 red" on a car was probably taken at the outset of these planes to a park that centralizing these devices. During Operation Barbarossa, the Germans created four new Beutepark der Luftwaffe (Beutepark d.Lw.), whose No. 7 jn located in Vilnius (Vilna) in Lithuania. These parks distributed aircraft caught, either to other farms specialized in the dismantling of the aircraft (Zerlegebetrieb), as No. 5 of Nanterre, either to aircraft factories for the rehabilitation of theft, such as Vienna, Austria, which took care of 1-153 for Finland, a new ally of the Germans.
An unanswered question
Before finishing the Beutepark d.Lw.5 of Nanterre, No. 1-153 7277 1-153 thus crossed soon Finland. Indeed, the nine planes donated by the Germans in November and December 1942 (17 months after their capture) come mostly from two Soviet regiments, the 238 and 46. These two units were widely separated from each other
 (Panevezys in Lithuania for 238, and Mlinov in Ukraine for 46), and their aircraft were very different colors, aluminum for the 238, green and blue for the 46th IPA (production airplanes later). But the 7277 has no parts of No. 6514 and No. 7046, from the 15th IPA, which were respectively the "IT-23" and "IT-25" Finnish! It is quite possible, but not yet confirmed, that the drift of our plane with the code "9 White on green background (not" red 9 "present) comes from a 1-153 of the 46th IAP captured in Ukraine.

The four wings still keep their secrets, but at least three of them are colored aluminum with Soviet red stars black circle of the first series of 1-153.

After this junction with 1-153 Finnish Polikarpov went to this park # 5 of Nanterre, since he was appointed, with a MiG-3, as Russian equipment destined for the "mus?etechnique" of Beutepark d.Lw.5.

During the insurrection of Paris and its suburbs in mid-August 1944, the former aviation park Nanterre-La Folie was guarded by 250 soldiers under the command of Major Biesenberger.
From August 16, 1944, Italian workers Park No. 5 were evacuated and sent to Varennes, near Saint-Florentin. They were followed by men who Biesenberger retreated eastward in Vesoul.
Park and workshops SNCF (French Railways) were kept attached by Oberleutnant Koning and his 59 soldiers who turned it into the fulcrum, the Stiltzpunk?92 L, becoming one of the strong points for the protection of Grof Paris.
Under repeated attacks by some 300 FFI since 17 August, the Germans left the Beutepark d.Lw.5 the night of 19 to 20 August 1944 for Mount Valerian.
 At the liberation of Paris August 25, 1944, the French transformed this park central Establishment of Air Materiel (ECMA), Nanterre, and became again Zerlegebetrieb Montupet foundries. A school of mechanics in the Air Force was created to September 19, 1945.

One question remains unanswered for lack of reliable evidence and official documents before returning to the Museum of Air and Space in the early 1950s, how to survive 1T-153 No. 7277?
 In August 1944 the Germans had destroyed or transferred their art museum ... Who saved this 1-153 Nanterre? A legend was created, but we are still looking for the truth! A reader knows it?
The restoration will begin once the historical and technical investigations carried out.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 10:32:29 AM by xan » Logged

xan

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2011, 04:48:41 PM »

I'm sorry I take out the french paper because of the writer's rights...
If someone is interest send me a PM
However, the paper is done by the memorial flight, and neoking will be able much netter than I to answer...

Xan

John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2011, 12:12:23 AM »

Well done, xan! Thank you very much for sharing that with us!

John
xan

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2011, 12:29:45 AM »

good news, neoking gave me permission to scan the pics who are really great.
I'll do it tomorrow.
I tols me too a really english version , such as a rusian one was going on...
Xan

xan

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2011, 01:11:39 AM »

Here are the pics (too beutyfull to stand until tomorrow!)

The plane is the n?7277 with some parts of an another one I-153.
the interior color seems to be A-14:

behind the first cover (deutch, as shows the red protective) appears the original color AII aluminium

Getting off the cowl appears the grey paint for metal part, AE-9

and last but not least: the original code, the "21" in the rudder:

you can also see the yelow IV number put by the deutch wo permit to identificate the plane in a pic.

if the n?7277 were coded "21" , her's the 25 who permit to make us an idea how did the plane look like:

That's all falks!
thanks to neoking to let us see thoose pics!

Xan

learstang

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2011, 01:29:47 AM »

Very interesting pictures, Xan!  Thank you (and Neoking) for posting!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2011, 06:51:39 AM »

Hi Xan,
thank you for posting these scans and the translation. Really an excellent article.
Regards
Massimo
xan

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2011, 06:29:05 PM »

Oh I'm realy stupid!
I forgot to scan the last sentence:

"special thanks to Sergey Chekunov, Konstantin Lesnikov, Andrey Mikhailov, Massimo Tessitori, MikhailTimin and Yuri Svoyski"

sorry

Xan

xan

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2011, 11:57:25 AM »

Here two news pics from the forum "aviation ancienne" thanks to marc_91:

the pic of the plane who couldn't be edited in the "fana"

(see the yellow "IV" in the tail)

and an another plane of the same squadron:

Xan

Neoking

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2011, 10:45:11 AM »

Thanks Xan for posting the pic of the I-153 #7277.

If any of you know where the original picture is or if it comes on ebay again (was sold on ebay a few years ago), please contact us.  Smiley
marluc

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2011, 02:45:57 PM »

Many thanks to Neoking and xan for sharing these excellent articles and pictures with us.Greetings.

Martin
Neoking

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2011, 10:47:13 PM »

Hi, I just added 3 photos of the engine bay on Memorial Flight's website :
go to www.memorial-flight.com and click "news button"

Wink
xan

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2011, 11:52:35 PM »

Thanks neoking!
Xan

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print