Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Need help with snowy sturmovik
Sovietwarplanes
May 02, 2024, 10:34:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with snowy sturmovik  (Read 13283 times)
papa_bear

« on: March 23, 2011, 11:47:57 AM »

Hello guys, I'm reading this forum for a long time, but this is my first post Smiley

In all publications this plane is represented as yellow 6... I need info about camouflage on the wings...

Does anyone knows was it black-green, just green or mix with winter white camo?

I'm researching this plane because I want to paint my scale model like that...

Here are few photos/drawings which I found on net.

Cheers,
Dalibor
learstang

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 05:42:09 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Dalibor!  As it happens, I've built this very aeroplane from the nice Smer kit (which has the proper wooden rear fuselage, something the otherwise excellent Academy kit doesn't have).  Attached please find photographs of my finished model.  Please note that this is just my interpretation, so the green/black camouflage pattern is speculative.  However, the general layout of the paint scheme, with white on the rear fuselage and wings, and the "summer" camouflage on the nose is correct, I believe.  Also, given that this is the winter of 1941/42, the aeroplane would most probably have had its summer camouflage in the black/green scheme specified in the June 1941 Directive.  If you have any more questions about the Shturmovik (note the correct spelling - Shturmovik, not Sturmovik, something even many kits get incorrect) just let me know, as it's something of a speciality of mine.  One thing to note is that the white cowling aiming lines may not have been present on this particular aeroplane - according to Russian IL-2 expert Oleg Rastrenin the cowling lines may not have been added to Shturmoviks until (mid?) 1942.  I'll probably paint over mine, someday.

Regards,

Jason

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 05:48:38 PM by learstang » Logged

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
papa_bear

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 06:02:57 PM »

Hi Jason,
thank you on warm welcome and big help...
Now I can just seat and cry Cheesy
I got academy's Shturmovik (thnx on spelling correction, I forgotten that this is not our forum from Srbija, we wrote ?turmovik or Штурмовик)

Do you know some other crazy "half winter" camouflage for IL2 from Academy's box? This one was love on first sight, but... Smiley

Cheers,
Dalibor "Dada" Repic
learstang

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 06:19:46 PM »

You're welcome, Dalibor, and I wouldn't give up so quickly on the Academy kit.  I did N.A. Zub's 'plane (with the big slogan "Smert' Fashistikim Okkupantam! on the side) from the Academy kit and it turned out pretty well.  It's not that hard to sand down the panel lines, and there's enough plastic to where you don't have to worry about sanding through.  That's what I did for Zub's aeroplane; I sanded down the incorrect panel lines on the rear fuselage to represent the correct smooth wooden rear fuselage.  If I can do it, I'm sure you can.  As far as the spelling for the Shturmovik goes, I forgot that in some languages, such as Czech (and Serbian when written in Latin characters), the "sh" sound can be represented by an "s" with the suitable change to the "s".  I still find it hard to get used to seeing Jakowlew in Polish instead of Yakovlev, however.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
papa_bear

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 06:28:22 PM »

Ok, thank you again Smiley
Good idea, sandpaper is my best friend Smiley
When start with this build, I'll post here new topic...
Pozdrav Smiley
Dalibor
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 07:12:27 PM by papa_bear » Logged
learstang

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 12:30:19 AM »

Brilliant, Dalibor!  I look forward to seeing the build.  However you paint the summer camouflage, it is a great paint scheme, with the non-winter camouflaged nose and the replacement rudder.  It's also a significant aeroplane, in that it belonged to Hero of the Soviet Union, A.I. Borodin.  I see from that colour profile and some of my own reference material that the 'plane was used over Stalingrad during the winter of 1942/43, so it probably did have the white cowling lines and would have had the green/black scheme.  Now all I need to do is add the external carburettor intake filter to my model.  Oh well, it's always something.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
papa_bear

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 10:58:22 AM »

Now I can't wait to start this build... Before that must finish some "cobras" and RYAF Hurricane...
Here are few my builds, hope you like them Smiley
http://www.maketarskikutak.com/index.php/topic,5057.0.html
http://www.maketarskikutak.com/index.php/topic,4663.0.html
http://www.maketarskikutak.com/index.php/topic,5237.0.html
http://www.maketarskikutak.com/index.php/topic,4006.0.html
http://www.maketarskikutak.com/index.php/topic,5221.0.html
And one in progress
http://www.maketarskikutak.com/index.php/topic,2132.0.html
Sorry If I am Borring. Smiley
Dalibor
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 03:42:54 PM »

Very nice models, Dalibor. Well made and well photographed.
Massimo
marluc

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 04:00:49 PM »

Welcome to the forum Dalibor.You?ve done an excellent work on these models,thanks for sharing them.
Regarding the Academy Shturmovik,instead of erasing the panel lines with sandpaper as kindly suggested by Jason,I think it should be better to fill the engraved lines with putty filler and then sand them,just to keep the after fuselage shape.You should repeat the putting/sanding process as many times as needed to fill the lines.
Greetings.

Martin
learstang

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 04:34:26 PM »

Welcome to the forum Dalibor.You?ve done an excellent work on these models,thanks for sharing them.
Regarding the Academy Shturmovik,instead of erasing the panel lines with sandpaper as kindly suggested by Jason,I think it should be better to fill the engraved lines with putty filler and then sand them,just to keep the after fuselage shape.You should repeat the putting/sanding process as many times as needed to fill the lines.
Greetings.

Martin

Of course that works also, Martin.  The reason I sand panel lines off is that the change to the fuselage shape (i.e. it's slightly smaller in circumference) is insignificant, and I've had problems in the past with lines and holes I was sure I'd properly filled in showing up again as the putty shrinks, with the lines sometimes reappearing months after I thought I'd taken care of them.  With sanding, there's no chance of them ever reappearing.  However, each modeller has their preferences and I may not have been using a good enough filler.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
learstang

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 04:43:09 PM »

Very nice models, Dalibor!  I must say the F-47D's look very striking in Yugoslavian markings.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
papa_bear

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 04:59:08 PM »

Guys, thank you on nice words about my modells. I'm glad you like them. Smiley

@ Martin & Jason:
When I must fill panel lines, I use stretched sprue. Fix it on panel line and one drop of Tamiya extra thin cement. When it's dry, just sand off the excess of plastic...

stretching sprue is very simple method:
Place it above candle or lighter and when plastic get warm enough, Pull each end to get wanted diameter... It is easy way to made structure on cockpit walls, hydraulic lines, radio aerials etc...

Regards,
Dalibor
learstang

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 05:14:35 PM »

Very nice tip, Dalibor!  I'd never thought of using stretched-sprue for filling in panel lines.  That takes care of the problem I noted of the panel lines reappearing after filling in with putty.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
KL

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 05:31:45 PM »

another "snowy Shturmovik" photo:

Cheers,
KL
learstang

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 05:45:38 PM »

Nice photo, Konstantin.  Here's another one of Borodin's machine.  It appears to me from this picture that the wings, except for the wingroots, were painted in the white distemper camouflage.  Unfortunately the photograph is not of good enough quality to determine what the pattern is on the summer camouflage.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: