Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Il-2 Camouflage Schemes
Sovietwarplanes
April 29, 2024, 12:30:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Il-2 Camouflage Schemes  (Read 47955 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2011, 01:56:33 PM »

Hi,
I've updated the page, splitting it into two subpages, for single-seaters and two seaters. I've added new drawings too.
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/il-2/il-2.htm
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2011, 05:43:04 PM »

Looking good, Massimo!  It helps me in my ongoing research into the paint schemes utilised on the Shturmovik.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
JP
Administrator

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2011, 08:42:01 PM »

Nice work!  The pages look very good.  Makes me want to do an Il-2!
learstang

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2011, 09:39:45 PM »

Nice work!  The pages look very good.  Makes me want to do an Il-2!

For the love of Bog, don't!  That's how it starts - with just one IL-2.  Then before you can say "AII Brown was never used", you're sucked inexorably into a descending spiral of madness. I know!

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
JP
Administrator

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2011, 10:10:35 PM »

And just like the devil - they look better in black!  Grin

Anyway, I've had the 1/48 AM kits in the stash for years.
learstang

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2011, 10:53:26 PM »

And just like the devil - they look better in black!  Grin

Anyway, I've had the 1/48 AM kits in the stash for years.

I just got a hold of the Eduard "kit bash" of the straight-winged two-seater ("IL-2M").  They just put the AM straight wings with the AM arrow fuselage in the same kit, with some masks, appropriate decals, and some photo-etch.  Very nice kit; I've actually started cutting the pieces off the sprues and I'm tempted to start working on it, but it's not really my scale, and I've got two 1/72nd scale Shturmoviks I'm working on right now.  I'm doing the Eduard arrow (also a very nice kit), as a postwar Yugoslavian example (simple grey over blue paint scheme and I can leave the fuselage metal), and the Eastern Express rebrand of the Dakoplast single-seater, which I'm doing as "Red 7", an interesting wooden-winged single-seater with a black underfuselage and white splotches on the aft fuselage and the wings.  In addition to these, I've got a field-modified single-seater (with the makeshift rear gunner position), and an IL-2KR that I need to finish painting.  The madness continues.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2011, 08:34:27 AM »

Hi Jason,
is there an Il-2M of Eduard? I didn't know!
And what about the field modification into two-seater and Il-2KR? Are they resin conversions?
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2011, 07:06:05 PM »

Hi Jason,
is there an Il-2M of Eduard? I didn't know!
And what about the field modification into two-seater and Il-2KR? Are they resin conversions?
Regards
Massimo

Massimo, Eduard did indeed produce an "IL-2M", although it's now out of production.  I found mine on eBay and it wasn't cheap - over $50USD including shipping, but I'd say it was worth it.  No doubt Eduard will resissue it sometime when they finally tire of issuing every variant of the Bf-109E.  The field mod is a nice resin conversion kit from HR, complete with modified rear canopy, decals, and guns with the appropriate mounting ring (either a 7.62mm Degtyarev or a 12.7mm UBT).  The IL-2KR I'm making myself (there's not much more to it than attaching the antenna mast to the front, although I should have cut down the fuel tank for the large radio, but I don't think I'm going to do this as I decided to make this arrow into an IL-2KR after I'd already put the cockpit detail in and the canopy on).  I could still attach a large camera on the gun mount - I might just do that; it would certainly be something different.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
learstang

« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2011, 12:41:55 AM »

I've now actually found a resin conversion set for the IL-2KR on eBay.  In addition to parts for an IL-2KR (including the radio and camera), it comes with a conversion set for a ShKAS-armed field modified Shturmovik, and a production straight-winged two-seater version, along with a photo-etched set.  This boxed set was made by someone called Meritko, apparently Czech.  It's definitely worth it if you can find it.  I suspect it's long out of production.  It appears to be designed for the Smer single-seater but the parts can be used on just about any 1/72nd scale Shturmovik kit.  I paid around $42USD for it.  Not cheap, but I'm glad I bought it.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2011, 01:02:02 AM »

I've now actually found a resin conversion set for the IL-2KR on eBay.  In addition to parts for an IL-2KR (including the radio and camera), it comes with a conversion set for a ShKAS-armed field modified Shturmovik, and a production straight-winged two-seater version, along with a photo-etched set.  This boxed set was made by someone called Meritko, apparently Czech.  It's definitely worth it if you can find it.  I suspect it's long out of production.  It appears to be designed for the Smer single-seater but the parts can be used on just about any 1/72nd scale Shturmovik kit.  I paid around $42USD for it.  Not cheap, but I'm glad I bought it.

Regards,

Jason

Part of that set (or one like it) is still available from HR Model:
http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/HRMC7222

Also go here for more discussion, somewhere on page 2:
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80844&st=0

John
learstang

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2011, 03:34:48 AM »

Thank you, John!  I have actually bought two of the HR sets, and I've done the ShKAS-armed conversion, and just need to finish the painting (some day).  I intend on also doing the UBT field mod; in fact, I plan on doing the 1/32nd scale Hobby Boss kit as this version as I even have the masks for the markings (thanks to Viktor Povinsky).  I also need to start checking Britmodeller more often - I missed that thread completely!  I did just now leave my tuppence, however.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2011, 08:32:18 AM »

Hi John,
Also go here for more discussion, somewhere on page 2:
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80844&st=0

The discussion on colors at Britmodeller is interesting, but, collecting the photos of Il-2 at http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/il-2/il-2.htm, I had the impression that the known schemes and colors were well respected on this type, apart for few images of obviously non-standard camos.
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2011, 08:25:29 AM »

Hi,
a pair of interesting images from the thread on Il-2 on Scalemodels.ru:

Why is it so reddish?

interesting pattern, even if uncommonly seen. It has to be made by masking.
Regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 04:13:39 PM by John Thompson » Logged
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2011, 04:16:17 PM »

Hi Massimo! I was getting red X's, so I took the liberty of going in and editing your post to show the correct thumbnails from PostImage.org.

Cheers!
John
learstang

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2011, 06:21:22 PM »

Hi,
a pair of interesting images from the thread on Il-2 on Scalemodels.ru:

Why is it so reddish?

interesting pattern, even if uncommonly seen. It has to be made by masking.
Regards
Massimo

I notice that in some places, the red seems to shade into the yellow (ALG-1?).  Perhaps it's just ALG-1 that turned red over the decades.  About the camouflage, that is interesting the way the bands on the starboard wing "interlock".  That would make an interesting subject for your IL-2 page, Massimo, if you can figure out the rest of the camouflage.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: