Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
contributions to mantain the site
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 12:47:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: contributions to mantain the site  (Read 32619 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« on: April 25, 2011, 07:29:16 AM »

Hi all,
as many of you already know, JP Myers is the owner of this site and he pays about 50 US$ a year for mantaining it. To give my contribution, I've sent 20 ? to his paypal account at the address
iltridente1 -at- gmail.com
If someone wants to give freely any other contributions to JP, I think that it will be well accepted.
Regards
Massimo

(Correct the email address by replacing the -at- with an @)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 07:37:26 PM by JP » Logged
learstang

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 07:52:27 AM »

Massimo, I have a question.  20 Euros equals $29USD, which leaves a residuum of $21USD to meet Mr. Myers maintenance costs.  I can see the members of this forum (including myself) contributing an aggregate amount much in excess of this.  How would this excess be used?

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 08:32:53 AM »

Hi Jason,
well, it's not necessary that anyone sends 29 US$, one can send much less, what he wants if he wants.
I've taken into account that JP has paid for years the domain without any contribution, so I was large in my offer.
Regards
Massimo
-spokito-

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 05:05:58 PM »

hello massimo,
i understand perfectely the probleme because i have also a website and i know how it cost to me every year.
it's also a website about planes and kits (in french of course) http://www.desavionsetdesmaquettes.com
the firsts years, i didn't ask to anyone a contribution and i paid but recently (because i lost my job)i put a donation paypal kit in the website but didnt work sufficientely then  i'had to start ads on the website to pay the hosting.
fortunately i found goods partenaires (french web kit shops) and now it's ok for the future of the site.
but i understand it could be unpleasant to have ads on an associative website.

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 08:49:33 PM »

Hi Francis,
I have just had a look to your site and it looks nice. I have seen the sprues of MiG-31 of Zvezda, and looks better than I expected.
Regards
Massimo
JP
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 01:56:55 AM »

Contributions are not required for the running of the site.  If you don't feel like it, it generally won't affect anything, and my feelings will not be hurt over it.  What happened most recently was a mis-communication between between the domain registrar and the site host.  (Working to get them with the same company now).

What this represented was an opportunity for those so inclined to help out if they felt this site/forum was of value to them.  I had not considered strict accounting of the funds (mostly from not expecting any), as this site is not in the business of making money (definitely!).  The last several years' fees were taken directly from my beer/model fund.  If I suddenly got $5, it would probably be converted back to beer/cafe money, and the site funding would continue as normal - from my own funds.   Cool

But to address the concern raised here - If I should suddenly find myself with significantly more than replacement beer money, I would immediately hire a professional web designer to re-design the site entry portal and all my badly organized files, since I lack the time/skills to do so anymore.  Or perhaps extend the registration of the domain/hosting as increments of those costs were reached.  It really all depends.

There is a case where the site Modeling Madness solicits $5,000 annually to keep the site running!   Shocked  Frankly, I find that very suspicious.  He clearly intends to live off some of that money, and I wonder if he reports that as income for tax purposes . . . anyway, I can assure you nothing of the sort is going on here.

Rest assured, I do not plan on making a haul of donated money and funding a Caribbean vacation.
learstang

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 02:03:20 AM »

Thank you for the clarification, JP!  I'm sure the people who use and enjoy this site will do what we can to make it a better site, even if that means coming up with a bit of bob.  However, it sounds like that's not strictly necessary right now so you may have to put your Caribbean vacation on hold. Smiley  However, I might have a bit of spare change somewhere...

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
JP
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 02:10:11 AM »

Ok team, here is an update.  Massimo and I are talking about how to revamp the site and forum now that I have more time for this kind of thing again.  What this basically means is me getting off my ass and doing something about the entry page and other content of the site, blending it with Massimo's work, and customizing the forum away from this generic looking thing we have.

This place is really about the community here, so I open it up to you for suggestions/consideration.  Here's is the idea so far:

The web page -
1. Blog style.  Instead of having to create a web page every time I want to post something, I simply enter an article like a forum post with images, etc.  By blog, I simply mean an easier way for me to post things.  Massimo would have access and be able to "blog" post and link updates, giving the entry portal relevance it has frankly never had.  (Massimo's portion would remain unchanged.)  An example of what I might use it for  - post a model work-in-progress thread like I'm doing on the forum.  When the aircraft is done, write/publish an article on the finished product, and link back to the forum showing the work in progress and all the discussion leading up to the finished build.
2. Install a robust search feature and delete my useless index style of pages that no one uses anyway.  This way, I can re-edit the articles already on the site and begin re-adding them as blog posts.  (Minus the spam ads that somehow found their way into the pages.)  If anyone wants to find something specific, they should be able to search the entire site and find results.  This is better and easier than trying to establish and maintain a large structure of files with an index for people to click through.

The forum -
1. A custom site banner at the top linking back to the main page.
2. A more obvious message box indicator.  The one we have is hidden among other buttons at the top of the page and is very small.
3. A new template and custom color scheme.  Nothing drastic, but I have always disliked the basic forum package we have.  It is the generic template every basic forum starts with.  Basically, I'd like it to be designed specifically to go with our site.

In light of this, it's rather obvious I need to hire someone with web design skills to do this.  I currently have queries out to hire a legitimate web designer.  I put this post here because now we're talking an outlay of funds that will probably be rather more significant than the annual domain/hosting costs.  Again, strictly voluntary - especially since I reserve the right to blow off any suggestions I don't like.   Cheesy
Apex1701

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 06:24:43 PM »

Hi JP,

Ok team, here is an update.  Massimo and I are talking about how to revamp the site and forum now that I have more time for this kind of thing again.  What this basically means is me getting off my ass and doing something about the entry page and other content of the site, blending it with Massimo's work, and customizing the forum away from this generic looking thing we have.

I think you are both right, a revamp will be a good thing.

The web page -
1. Blog style.  Instead of having to create a web page every time I want to post something, I simply enter an article like a forum post with images, etc.  By blog, I simply mean an easier way for me to post things.  Massimo would have access and be able to "blog" post and link updates, giving the entry portal relevance it has frankly never had.  (Massimo's portion would remain unchanged.)  An example of what I might use it for  - post a model work-in-progress thread like I'm doing on the forum.  When the aircraft is done, write/publish an article on the finished product, and link back to the forum showing the work in progress and all the discussion leading up to the finished build.
Hmmm...blog style.
Might be a good idea for those you put up the content but I've seen a lot of blogs where it's almost impossible to find rapidly or even to find at all old items.
In a previous life(11 years ago  Tongue ) as a webmaster the most important thing to keep visitors interested was that they must find items within 3 "clicks" at the most.
So if your suggestion includes these 3 clicks, needing links on the home page, I'll be happy.
For example the in home page there should be the links found in the table in this current page:
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/

If not I'll have to see  Wink

2. Install a robust search feature and delete my useless index style of pages that no one uses anyway.  This way, I can re-edit the articles already on the site and begin re-adding them as blog posts.  (Minus the spam ads that somehow found their way into the pages.)  If anyone wants to find something specific, they should be able to search the entire site and find results.  This is better and easier than trying to establish and maintain a large structure of files with an index for people to click through.
OK, but again the major parts should be seen up front. Search engines are not perfect and visitors not always.
As an example; if someone is looking for informations on La-5 and write Lavotchkin the search will results with nothing if in the site it's writen Lavochkin.

To sum up my toughts let's say that with links and a search engine the content will be easier to reach.
Add a sitemap and it will be better  Cheesy

The forum -
1. A custom site banner at the top linking back to the main page.
Way to go !!!

3. A new template and custom color scheme... Basically, I'd like it to be designed specifically to go with our site.
My I suggest AII green over AII dark green. It will, for sure, make for lively discussions.
 Grin

All the best.

Jean
learstang

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 06:45:23 PM »

I'd go with a dark reddish brown - AII Brown, and a lime green - AII Green.  After all, we know most of the IL-2's were painted in this scheme.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
JP
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 07:30:24 PM »

I can't find the German armor red-brown, but I can hook you up with a green forum.   Tongue

http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?lemma=2274
learstang

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 09:48:32 PM »

I can't find the German armor red-brown, but I can hook you up with a green forum.   Tongue

That's it!  That's the green, John!  We've got to use that.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 09:09:47 AM »

But now we have good matches for AMT-7, AII light blue... it's not bad for me. Eventually, we could replace the lighter blue of the background with AE-9 grey or AMT-16.  Wink
Regards
Massimo
Markino

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 03:00:22 PM »

That's it!  That's the green, John!  We've got to use that.

Regards,

Jason

Hello guys,
but is possible to use the green one theme (or other from simplemachines.org site) as user theme?
Ciao.

Marco

"If you want to get what you want
 you need to get rid of the need."
JP
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 05:48:30 AM »

We can use any theme we like.  I loaded a couple of different ones here before, but I got only complaints, so I turned it all back to this original light blue. I would be happy to change them to something else.  Personally, my favorite forums to read are dark background ones.  For me, it is easier to read them for longer periods of time.

Any suggestions?  I don't think the bright tractor green would be favorably received.   Wink
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 04:57:00 PM by JP » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: