Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
new classification for the topics
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 06:56:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: new classification for the topics  (Read 14882 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« on: April 26, 2011, 11:08:16 PM »

Hi,
I am considering if the division in sub-forums of this forum can be improved. At present time, the same topic could be posted indifferently in many different categories, and it's very difficult to find an old one.
I was thinking to a new division of posts for aircraft type, plus some general categories about modelling, colors and so on. The old topics could be gradually moved into the new categories.
What do you all think of this? Any ideas?
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 01:39:49 AM »

I do like the idea of having separate areas for specific aeroplanes, and also for colours and markings.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Apex1701

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 03:49:54 AM »

Hi Massimo,

I too like the idea of division by different planes.

All the best.

Jean
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 04:14:55 AM »

Hi Massimo,

I too like the idea of division by different planes.

All the best.

Jean

This seems to work well on Scalemodels.ru, where the "pinned" threads are divided by aircraft type, and have topic titles like, "Material About Yak-1", "Material About Yak-7 and Yak-9", and so on.

John
Graham Boak

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 04:04:14 PM »

Given the low number of overall postings, is this really necessary? 

If a posting can appear in a number of different places, could this not be because it touches on a number of different matters?  If (for example) the subject is camouflage on a Yak 1, it may have relevance to other types.  If the split is betwen a/c types, then those searching for details of camouflage or general markings may miss it.  If you also have a separate section for camouflage and markings, then to which should it be posted?

I have no objection to you organising the site however you wish, but there is no such thing as a perfect set of categories so any future organisation may not produce the clarity you desire.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 05:36:35 PM »

Hi Graham,
I am uneasy with the classification now in use, I can't find easily even some posts that I have started myself. I know that there will always be posts regarding more than one subject. Eventually, some topics containing only links to other topics inserted in different categories could make the research easier.
Maybe I could try to insert new catergories, and we could discuss if they can really replace the older classification.
An alternative could be a more precise definition of what should be posted in each existing category, plus a constant work to move the old topics and the new ones when posted wrongly.
Any ideas?
Massimo
KL

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 07:24:41 PM »

Hi Massimo,
division on model planes and real planes worked really well.  I am talking about the division you introduced in January-February ("new forum").
Those two could be devided by period: inter-war period, GPW, postwar period.

If someone starts a build and have a question/comments about a specific plane, unit, colours/markings, i.e. questions/comments about the real plane, he should start a tread in "Real planes" section. How is that applied when building a model should be posted in "Model Planes" section.  It should be "one project, two treads".

Sources could be the third section:  random e-bay photos, wrecks, books/magazines, links.

Regards,
KL
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 03:29:53 PM »

Hi,
I'm doing some tests of reorganization on the postwar category, creating child boards and moving there some old posts. Of course the postwar age is scarcely represented on this forum and there was not so much need to reorder it, but as already written, I'm utilizing this as a test before making something on the planes of GPW.
What do you think of this criteria? Any suggestions?
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 08:13:35 AM »

Hi,
I have completed the reordering by type of the topics about postwar planes. Nearly all the posts were about built models or kits. I would include them aside eventual articles on the real things.
I'm thinking to do so for the planes of all the other ages too, because many posts on models contain discussions or links related to the real things.
Any comments or suggestions?
Regards
Massimo
marluc

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 02:24:46 PM »

Hello Massimo:

Regarding "Pre-WWII" topics,I would group Polikarpov fighters (biplane and monoplane) in just one topic,and well as the twin and three/four engined planes in a topic that could be named "Multiengined planes".By far,I like the divisions you?re making to the forums.Greetings.

Martin
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 06:15:52 PM »

Hi Martin,
thank you for your suggestions. I have thought on this, because Polikarpov fighters of '20s and '30s were widely predominant on non-Polikarpov fighters.
So, to simplify the classification and to obtain categories of comparable weight, I've opted for monoplane and biplane fighters without indication for the design team.
I've simplified other categories too, because there are too few posts to utilize them all.
I've started to move posts on prewar planes to the new categories from other existing subforums.
Note that I-15s and I-16s are considered prewar planes even if utilized during the GPW.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 07:39:14 PM »

Hi Massimo,  Smiley
I don't see any advantage in this new subdivision but if you like it it's OK.
It doesn't make search any easier:  Anatra Khioni is in "multy engined planes" and it could be in WWI planes.
Tread about pilawskii's I-16 book should be in the Books section.

I still believe that basic division on models, real planes and sources (like books) makes more sense.

The real problem are treads that stray off, like the new I-16 decal tread that evolved into discussion about protective colours.  Moderator should stop something like that and start a new tread.

KL
JP
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 08:55:56 PM »

For that, I think you can "split" a thread and make the new discussion a new topic.
xan

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 09:03:07 PM »

Hi Massimo,
you can have a loock in the LEMB luftwaffe's forum organization.
I find it very clear.

the organisation is:
I) planes
II) colours and marking
III) theater of operation
and others...

http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org/forums/

Xan

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 11:17:24 PM »

Hi Konstantin,
It doesn't make search any easier:  Anatra Khioni is in "multy engined planes" and it could be in WWI planes.
I've corrected this. Not it should be not ambiguous.
Tread about pilawskii's I-16 book should be in the Books section.
Yes, but it evolved in discussions regarding the painting of the plane, not only the book. I have to think about the sources, books and links; I think that links to sites on many arguments should remain where they are, while links and books on a particular plane should go with the topics on the plane, eventually in a topic pinned to remain always in the first position (if the forum software offers this option).
Hi JP,
For that, I think you can "split" a thread and make the new discussion a new topic
I think I'll do this
Hi Xan
the organisation is:
I) planes
II) colours and marking
III) theater of operation
and others...
general markings and painting have their own subforums, while discussions related to specific planes should go aside the planes themselves, in my idea.
At present time I have not seen posts on threaters of operations here, eventually they can go in the 'general category' of the relative period, as all things that doesn't fit with the new categories.
Regards
Massimo Smiley
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: