Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Kozhedub's La-5F (or FN???)
Sovietwarplanes
April 20, 2024, 12:19:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kozhedub's La-5F (or FN???)  (Read 6050 times)
slug71

« on: April 19, 2008, 06:56:18 PM »

Would anyone have any photographic evidence as to the variant with the dedication to Koniyev painted on the side?  The Osprey book lables "white 14" as a FN, but I've seen another profile which shows it as a plain "F" model.  Thanks in advance for any input.
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 10:14:32 PM »

Would anyone have any photographic evidence as to the variant with the dedication to Koniyev painted on the side? The Osprey book lables "white 14" as a FN, but I've seen another profile which shows it as a plain "F" model. Thanks in advance for any input.

Whatever you do, *don't* look at "Wings Palette" for profiles of this aircraft. I did, and it nearly brought me to tears - Kozhedub's "White 14" has been profiled many, many times, both as a La-5F and as a La-5FN. Once again we see how unreliable these things can be! However, on page 15 of the Squadron "La-5/7 Fighters in Action" book, there is a photo of this aircraft. Of course, the nose of the aircraft is covered with a tarpaulin, so you can't see any cowling details - that would be too easy! However, the La-5FN had a sheetmetal reinforcing plate with a diagonal upper edge on each side of the fuselage, immediately behind the exhaust outlet heat shields (below the cockpit, in other words). The La-5F did not. This plate, as subtle a detail as it is, is frequently visible on good photos of the La-5FN. The lighting and exposure in this photo seem quite good, especially in this area of the fuselage side, and the La-5FN reinforcing plate is NOT visible, so it would seem that the aircraft in the photo is, in fact, a La-5F, not an FN. In my humble opinion, anyway... (if I was building it myself, I'd certainly go with La-5F!) Wink

A quick edit, after looking at Erik Pilawskii's "Radial-Engined Lavochkins of WW2" CD: This reference shows Kozhedub's plane as a La-5F, in overall "mixed grey" - 50% each of AMT-11 and AMT-12. There is also a photo of Kozhedub leaning out of the cockpit of the aircraft, and, once again, the La-5FN reinforcing plate that I mentioned is not visible.

There is also *another* "White 14", Konev-collective-inscribed Lavochkin - a La-5FN, attributed to two-time HSU K.A. Evstigneev! (I hope I'm not confusing anyone except myself here...) A photo shows this one to be very clearly a La-5FN, with a different style of presentation inscription on the left side of the fuselage. So far I haven't seen photos of *both* sides of either of these aircraft - the photos referred to are right side only for Kozhedub, and left side only for Evstigneev!

John
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 11:49:13 PM by John Thompson » Logged
slug71

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 03:40:44 AM »

AHHHhaaa.  I noted the absence of the diagonal steel plate as well in the one photo I've seen of Kozhedub and this aircraft (Pilot standing next to inscription, area under cockpit is only aircraft section visible).  Outstanding observation, John!  I recently won a set of Super Scale decals off Ebay for the La5/La-7 in 1/48 and was wondering whether any of the schemes available on the sheet were actually usable for my Zvezda La-5FN (Kozhedub and Popkov being 2 of the choices).  Still haven't received the decals yet, so I'll have to wait and see what other options there are.  Thanks for your insight!
Dark Green Man

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 12:35:04 AM »

if you mean Superscale sheet 48-428 it has :
2 versions of Kozhedub's La-7 ,one from winter '44-'45 and spring '45 (176 GIAP)
La-5F also flown by Kozhedub when with the 240 IAP in May 1944.
La-5FN V.I. Popkov 5 GIAP 1944
La-5FN White 77 pilot unknown Moscow-Kubinka 1943
(or so say the instruction sheet, personally I am not convinced of the accuracy of any of them)

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
slug71

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 01:28:30 AM »

Just received the decals today.  You were right, John.  The Kozhedub option has a microscopic "14" for the tail and the dedication doesn't look remotely like the one in the photos.  Oh well.  Can still use the stars!!!
steph40

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 06:44:57 PM »

Hello,

There is also *another* "White 14", Konev-collective-inscribed Lavochkin - a La-5FN, attributed to two-time HSU K.A. Evstigneev! (I hope I'm not confusing anyone except myself here...) A photo shows this one to be very clearly a La-5FN, with a different style of presentation inscription on the left side of the fuselage. So far I haven't seen photos of *both* sides of either of these aircraft - the photos referred to are right side only for Kozhedub, and left side only for Evstigneev!

John

Regarding the K. A. Evstigneev aircraft ("probably" prevously flown by Y. N. Kozhedub), there is some informations here? http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Forum/showthread.php?tid=815
Is it possible that this aircraft was a La-5F during Spring 1944 and with some variety of maintenance, it became an FN Huh

Regards
Steph

1/48 aircraft of the Aces
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: