Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Corrections for Pilawski's book
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 09:39:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Corrections for Pilawski's book  (Read 79826 times)
JP
Administrator

« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2011, 05:37:13 AM »

Oh boy, a greatest hits!
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2011, 07:36:38 AM »

Again wayback links doesnt function with me. However, I think to have all on my hd.
It would be interesting to find some topics of his old forum.
Regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2011, 02:34:53 PM »

Again wayback links doesnt function with me. However, I think to have all on my hd.
It would be interesting to find some topics of his old forum.
Regards
Massimo

How about this, from 2010:
http://web.archive.org/web/20101026212928/http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Forum/index.php

Here's an older version, archived from 2006:
http://web.archive.org/web/20061101033202/http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Forum/index.php

The Wayback Machine site shows numerous "crawl dates" (a total of 76, going back to October 2005) over a period of several years, including prior to the crash that wiped out a lot of content, I think, although I don't remember specifically when that occurred.

I don't pretend to be an expert by any means, but once you experiment with the "Wayback Machine" a bit, it becomes fairly easy. That was how I recovered those Brushfire Wars early I-16 documents that I posted in another thread.

John
Dark Green Man

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2011, 10:56:06 PM »

John,
Thank You for the trip down memory lane.
sadly, most of the stuff I was looking for seems to be in the missing gap between 2006 and 2010.
 Sad

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2011, 08:24:58 PM »

Hi John,
I've surfed in the files that have been preserved. Unfortunately there is not so much. I've found that (the first page only) where EP 'answers' to Michael XIII about grays... a thing to forget!
Regards
Massimo
JP
Administrator

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2011, 03:44:19 AM »

You mean this fine example?

http://web.archive.org/web/20070527130157/http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Forum/showthread.php?tid=396

learstang

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2011, 05:56:31 AM »

Great Bog in Heaven!  What a total doorak, eedeeaht, klugscheisser, bendejo, drongo, putz, etc.!  This man considers himself an historian?!  More like the High Priest of the Erik Pilawskii religion!  I know you don't like things to get too personal, Massimo, but I didn't realise what a total condescending and arrogant person Mr. Pilawaskii was.  I sent him a few questions about colours recently, and although his response was somewhat condescending (basically like "poor amateur, what do you know about colours, I've been researching colours for 86 years," and so on), still it's nothing like the tongue-lashing he gave to poor Michael Neradkov.  What does Michael XIII know about Soviet colours, I mean does the man even understand Russian as well as EP?

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
KL

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2011, 06:30:07 AM »

RE: AMT-11 and 12 question
Michael_XIII Wrote:

I tired to say - Eric's color shadows not fully correct.
Krofire, you has a very nice yak, but you AMT-12 color has too green shadows that real
Use as reference http://plasticmodel.ru/?page=paints&fact...mel&lang=e

EP "the Administrator" Wrote:

Well, by all means any specific colour interpretation is open to considered debate and discussion. This is of course how the science on these topics progresses. But, this kind of posting is is so utterly pathetic that I just cannot find the words for it....

Mikhail13, IF you--or this model paint company (Akan)-- had ever undertaken any research of any kind, you would have discovered already that the paint on the museum exhibits which you/they hold with such unqualified esteem are not aviation lacquers, let alone are they examples of authentic AMT finish. Their appearance is therefore meaningless in the extreme. Furthermore, had you/they performed any kind of analysis, you would have noticed that the traditional (at least up to 2005) finish on Monino's "La-7" exhibit is (or was) indeed authentic AMT-12, provable by both chemical and spectrographic examination. You might also find the dried up tin of AMT-12 which was used to paint it if you searched around; 15 years ago it was in a box just behind the Sopwith Triplane.

I would be delighted to hear your or their analytical test results on this, or upon any other authentic sample of AMT-12 lacquer. Should you ever perform such research, I would be happy to add these results to my own body of work, supplementing the 20+ samples of this lacquer which I have now. I am quite certain, however, that were you/they ever to examine an authentic specimen of AMT-12 that you would be perfectly satisfied with the general value of the chip which I have suggested.

In the meantime, we would all appreciate it greatly if you would not insult our collective intelligence by declaring the Truth of the Universe to us by virtue of the occasional museum visits of a model paint manufacturer. Quite frankly, you are simply making a complete fool of yourself by so doing, and your tone is unpalatable and condecending. Expressing your opinion is perfectly fine; dictating "reality" to the Forum is not.

Just in closing, I would like to respond to the many dozens of messages and e-mails I have received of late asking why I do not participate more actively on this Forum. I will simply hold up this thread as yet another shining example of why I do not. So long as this type of behaviour is deemed to be acceptable, then my active participation is neither required nor appropriate.

Erik

I bought Erik?s book in 2004 (wasted US$50.00, at that time over Can$70.00) because I wanted to learn about Soviet colours.  I started reading it, but after first 30-40 pages I felt confused/fed-up and left the book for later.

After reading this post, I knew that ?the author? was wrong.

Ridiculous:
Colours you saw in Monino are not authentic, they are meaningless.  Only the colours I saw in 1996 are authentic.  They even left a tin of dried paint for me there?  When??? ? in 1995??? or somebody forgot a tin in 1945??? Spec for Erik???    Lips Sealed
mholly

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2011, 07:34:59 PM »

..."20+ samples of this lacquer which I have now."
NEVER showed them to us though, or did he? I think he's actually former KGB member, commissioned with a secret mission to confuse the
world in VVS paints matters. I'm afraid he has succeeded!
Seriously, do anybody find it logical that RUSSIAN researchers such as V&O, having done research IN RUSSIA, would not come across to a SINGLE AUTHENTIC sample? How could they miss that can of paint behind Sopwith Triplane?
Cheers,
Mario
KL

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2011, 06:39:35 AM »

Correction!
2007 ? 15 = 1992

it is quite posible that Erik von M?nchhausen-Pilawskii actually did visit Monino museum in 1992.

Returning home, M?nchhausen supposedly told a number of outrageously farfetched stories about his adventures.
He acquired a reputation for his witty and exaggerated tales; at the same time, he was considered an honest man in business affairs.

The stories about Pilawskii were first published on the Internet as ?Modeling the Aircraft of the Soviet VVS 1930-50?

An English version was published in 2004, by Classic Publications, as Baron Munchhausen's Narrative of his Marvellous Travels and Campaigns in Russia

Baron Munchhausen's adventures have also been published in Russia, where they are quite commonly known, especially the versions adapted for children.

Adapted from Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baron_M%C3%BCnchhausen
bbrought

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2011, 11:09:29 AM »

Seriously, do anybody find it logical that RUSSIAN researchers such as V&O, having done research IN RUSSIA, would not come across to a SINGLE AUTHENTIC sample? How could they miss that can of paint behind Sopwith Triplane?

Isn't it obvious? EP now has all the samples in existence in his garage, along with the Krakow museum Yak-3.

BA Broughton
Javier Planells

« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2011, 07:12:52 PM »

Hi guys,

After 4 pages of a thorough flaming Marcus Tullius Cicero Modelator, I mean EP, can we have an amendment at EP's work? I'd really need it for some VVS planes I want to finish, and the thought of repainting the whole interior of my almost finished Yak-7b gives me the shivers.

I personally do not care about who was rough on who for the first time, personal vendettas or payback times for EP, just be careful no to end up looking like the subject you?re demolishing.

You're the knowledgeable guys in the forum, not me, so can we move on to the only matter for this post, giving clear directions (or as much as posible) for such a fascinating subject as VVS colors?

Thanks, have a nice weekend.

Javier

Playing the mandolin is like tossing darts at people: when you do they move their feet rather quick!
learstang

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2011, 07:34:33 PM »

Mr. Planells, do you have a specific question on VVS colours that we might be able to help you on?  Am I correct in thinking you have a question about the interior colour of the Yak-7B? 

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Javier Planells

« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2011, 08:42:29 PM »

Mr. Planells, do you have a specific question on VVS colours that we might be able to help you on?  Am I correct in thinking you have a question about the interior colour of the Yak-7B? 

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

The matter on the Yak cockpit color,  I will post it on the proper modeling thread later on. I was just being descriptive about how a modeler feels when he faces such things as painting again a cockpit or having to re-do a color scheme. And how tiresome it is to read endless pages of flak, that is subsidiary to the very question that started the thread. And is, months later, still without an answer.

Thanks!

Javier

Playing the mandolin is like tossing darts at people: when you do they move their feet rather quick!
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2011, 08:44:22 PM »

I'd really need it for some VVS planes I want to finish, and the thought of repainting the whole interior of my almost finished Yak-7b gives me the shivers.

I'd go with A-14 myself...

John
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: