Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
question about a well know I-16 ...
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 09:32:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: question about a well know I-16 ...  (Read 17098 times)
xan

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 10:58:30 PM »

Oh my god! big brother is watching me!!!

Think you for the precisions, I will transmit at once!

I'm confused, I did this explication at work today, adn I knew it wasn't very precise, but I thought it will be didactic...

At least you can see we are trying to teach what we learn here!

Gretsch is my friend Pascal in this forum.

badger is a great modeler and i'm quite proud to be able to help him.

Xan

learstang

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 01:13:20 AM »

I find this one too:

http://s3.postimage.org/46kv3x7ad/Screenshot_507.jpg

build a diorama of the cementery would be a quite beautyfull challenge!

Xan

Xan, I have so many bits and pieces of I-16's and I-153's that I've thought about doing a diorama of "Barbarossa Victims".  They're so small in 1/72nd scale that the diorama would fit into a fairly small display case.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 09:51:20 AM »

Hi all,
1938 to mid-1940 (probably the majority of I-16s!):  AII ?Protective? Green + AII Gray
I would add that some/many (I don't know) had silver on their wood/fabric covered parts.

Another example of field-applied camouflage on I-16:
Very interesting images, thank you for posting.
There are other known photos of I-16s with splinter camo, I wonder if they are from the same unit.

Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 01:20:25 AM »

Oh my god! big brother is watching me!!!
....At least you can see we are trying to teach what we learn here!

Hi Xan,  Smiley
you are doing great job!!!
Good to see French modelers are still interested in GPW planes.  Wink (I know they always were; N-N pilots and their Yaks, 2 unique Soviet planes in Musee de l'Air, etc )

I was really worried that Musee de l'Air I-153 may end-up restored in colours like this:

SAFFC author is considered as an authority, he has already participated in some restoration projects...

Cheers,
KL
learstang

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2011, 01:25:13 AM »

I don't know, Konstantin, I kind of like that scheme.  Maybe I can use my WEM Tractor Green for this.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
barneybolac

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 10:15:57 PM »

Hi Xan,  Smiley
You surely have not the answer, but do you imagine this plane was in a training school since the begining?

We surely have the answer for plane No 1:  It was photographed at the Pruzhani airfield in Belaruss and it belonged to 33 IAP (33rd Fighter Regiment).  Experts on this subject have figured that this was actually regiment commander's plane!

You got it right, between 1937 and 1940 only 3 colours were in use: green, gray and silver.
But, those two I-16 were more likely overall gray!!!  More precisely AE-9 gray for metal parts and AII Gray for fabric/plywood.  Shocked

Reasons/sources:
1.   I-16 Type 10 manual from 1939, scans available on the net, specifies gray nitro paint for lower surfaces.
2.   Maslov in his last I-16 book explaines that undersurfaces were painted in gray and then coated with transparent nitro varnish.

So my guess for fancy No 1 is: gray for metal parts and varnished gray for fabric covered parts!!!  The transparent varnish makes the difference between the two.

I wonder what did Pilawskii say for this I-16??? Wink

Cheers,
KL

One of my books has a little information on this plane.

Also could you tell me the book for the 33 IAP identification of this I-16 I think I would like to get that one.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:17:52 PM by barneybolac » Logged
KL

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 06:54:56 AM »

One of my books has a little information on this plane.

Also could you tell me the book for the 33 IAP identification of this I-16 I think I would like to get that one.

source of my info is internet, not a book  Roll Eyes
It comes from M. Timin, he is a reliable author, a real expert.

Author of your book is E. Pilawskii, known as a totally unreliable source  Lips Sealed
barneybolac

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 12:02:16 PM »

Thank you KL for the reply.

KL

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 05:19:02 PM »

I-16 with VVS emblem was photographed at Lutsk airfield with 89 iap planes.  It's funny  Cheesy how Pilawskii can't recognize VVS emblem; for him it's an "interesting winged badge"  Grin

Silver I-16 tail No 1 was photographed at Pruzhani airfield and belonged to 33 iap.

KL
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 05:23:01 PM by KL » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: