Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
I-15 bis of the 70 IAP Kalkhin gol war, may of 1939
Sovietwarplanes
April 26, 2024, 07:45:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: I-15 bis of the 70 IAP Kalkhin gol war, may of 1939  (Read 72731 times)
learstang

« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2011, 12:26:57 AM »

I think it's looking good, Xan!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
KL

« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2011, 07:47:33 AM »

I don't thing the picture were taken during the kalkhin gol war (not taken of the "batailles a?riennes" magazine), but you will tell me more:

Staged photo "Soviet Pilot Looking High in the Sky" Huh Similar photos were very popular before the war.  I-15bis fighter from 13 oae has a "pilotka" cap as distinctive squadron marking.  White lines are fabric strips 55mm wide glued around the tailplane fairing

Where were your I-15bis photo and comment published?

I-15bis from your photos did not belong to 13 oae VVS KBF!  you can find quite a lot about this unit on the internet.  following is a well known I-15bis from 13 oae

no "Pilitkas" on 13 oae planes!!!   
xan

« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2011, 09:02:25 AM »

this is the book, and the interpretation of the pic, who seems quite questionable to me:
the top of the tail could be perfectely white, or red with a white stripe.

what do you think about the wheels ?

Xan

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2011, 01:23:57 PM »

Hi xan,
grey wheels look a standard, unless the photo shows some other thing.
I've the photo of white 2 on the Polish version of the book, and I can't say about the tip: it looks as white as the number, the stripes and the red stars. Other photos of planes of the same unit would be useful.
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2011, 09:53:33 PM »

This is one of the few photos where it can be seen on the I-15bis, but I had already noticed on DI-6: the color of metal part looks slightly darker than on fabric. Probably it is some equivalent for metals of AII green, perhaps AE-7. Usually, the difference is not visible on photos.
Regards
Massimo
xan

« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2011, 10:38:44 PM »

it's funny, the same posture with different photographer...

Xan

KL

« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2011, 05:09:33 AM »

what do you think about the wheels ?

The question is: Wheel Spats or No Wheel Spats?

I would go with Spats, because all those camouflaged I-15bises have them.  Those are definitivelly Halkin-Gol planes.  Spats were light gray AE-9, of course. Wink

IMHO, all those photos were made by same photo-correspondent at the same time (or within 15 minutes).  It looks that No 2 is from the same series - Maslov made mistake there.

Happy modelling,  Smiley
KL

PS.  how are AO-25 bombs progressing? ? ?   
KL

« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2011, 06:48:04 AM »

Xan,
instead of the hypothetical No 14, make more realistic No 2!!!

Combine following two pics:

and you will get something like:

for camouflage spagetti I would use sero-dikaya grey, the same as the future bombs...

Number and "pilotka" cap are either red, light blue or yellow... Huh

Cheers,
KL
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2011, 07:42:44 AM »

Hi,
I  would avoid to mix photos of planes that are visually different (stripes-not stripes) and attributed to different units by the bibliography.
About the spats, Konstantin, probably you are right, it's a matter of time when the photo was taken. Probably their use was abandoned after having been installed in the factory.
Personally, I would leave the model, that is close to be completed, as it is now until it's proven that it's wrong.
Regards
Massimo
xan

« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2011, 06:10:39 PM »

I agree with Massimo!

In this pics we see very well the stripe...is it the white 2 again ?
konstantin, can you translate please?

Xan

KL

« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2011, 08:02:08 AM »

konstantin, can you translate please?

All joints, edges of fairings and sawn places were cowered with fabric strip 55mm wide.  On this photo of the 13 oae pilot just about to sit in the plane, fringe of this strip is well visible.  According to the rules fabric strip was supposed to be painted, but on I-15bis this wasn't done usually.

With fringe Maslov is saying following:  edges of this strip were cut with spec scissors so that they were zigzag  Wink

Is it "white 2" - I don't know, probably it is, Maslov attributes it to 13 oae, the same unit as the profile you posted.  Even the pilot could be the same as the one on your previous photo.  BTW how do you know Number 2 is white?

I agree with Massimo!
That is too bad - those camouflaged planes would make more attractive models... Cool

Cheers,
KL
KL

« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2011, 08:44:52 AM »

Nice profile:

Correct colours, wheel spats, bomb racks, etc.
note that it doesn't have those fabric strips around the tail fairing....  Shocked
xan

« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2011, 09:44:15 AM »

Oh, indeed, it's a nice profil!
but I  don't trust very much in profils... does the drawer have a photograph or do one copy the other profil?

both have the same 14 code, and both have metal stripe around the cowl in natural color...
the difference are in the wheels and the adh?sive stripe...

about the matel stripe. I notices that in most of the pics the metal band are paintedin green; Almost only prototypes have metal natural, wich is quite logical. metal natural color are more beautiful , but I decided to paint them in green  Sad

about the white 2, it can be perfectly yellow..

Xan

KL

« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2011, 07:46:37 AM »

Oh, indeed, it's a nice profil!
but I  don't trust very much in profils... does the drawer have a photograph or do one copy the other profil?

I don't trust profile artists either. Wink

Why are you making a plane that exists only in profiles? Huh
xan

« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2011, 02:28:32 PM »

Because Iwanted to do a plane during the Halhin-gol war, and I had not a pic showing a I-152, just the crashed one... but in my book, the pic have been cutted and the tail with the code don't appear...
I wanted to do a plane painted in AE-9 and AII alu paints...
(it's the first time I make a model without pic documentation...)

Xan

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: