Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
I-15 bis of the 70 IAP Kalkhin gol war, may of 1939
Sovietwarplanes
April 25, 2024, 03:06:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: I-15 bis of the 70 IAP Kalkhin gol war, may of 1939  (Read 72721 times)
KL

« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2011, 05:32:44 PM »

Xan,

two pics that may create more work  Undecided

Wheel Spats

Wing Torches:

Panel B in Maslov's book is for I-153.  I-15bis had different torches and different Panel B  Shocked
You were the first who pointed on this error...

Cheers,
KL
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2011, 06:03:47 PM »

Hi Konstantin, hi Xan,
do the torches come out from small doors that open and close after they have been out?
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2011, 06:07:23 PM »

I think it's interesting how the topsides colour overlaps the leading edge of the lower wing.  I wonder if this were standard.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
xan

« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2011, 02:30:49 PM »

two wonderfull documents! but it's too late...

For the first one I will not change the model form, even if it's bad... it's a shame I could represent the rivets too...

The second pic gives a lot of informations:
- the ring to lock the plane is visible
- the torches are very well exposed
- the top line of green and alu colors in the wing (I will surely correct it on mine)
- more inportant I can see the metal piece was under the covering, so my interpretation is wrong; all the wing is painted in AII alu

however, in this one the colot is very different, and the panel seems to be out of the covering isn't it?

Xan

John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2011, 05:19:16 PM »

- more inportant I can see the metal piece was under the covering, so my interpretation is wrong; all the wing is painted in AII alu

however, in this one the colot is very different, and the panel seems to be out of the covering isn't it?

Xan

This is interesting - these panels existed on many VVS aircraft which had fabric-covered wings. Last night I was trying to understand the same thing about the same kind of panels on the I-16 type 29. Drawings seem to show these as being outside the fabric covering, not under it (outside makes more sense where these panels are meant to protect the wing from the exhaust of RS-82 rockets), but I'm not so sure now. I can find only one photo of the underside of a type 29 wing (right wing only); it seems to show the rocket location protection panel as being outside the fabric, and the panel farther out on the wing which includes the same torches as the I-15bis being under the fabric, but it's hard to be sure.

John
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 05:24:09 PM by John Thompson » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2011, 07:25:55 PM »

Hi,
the red star under the wing of the image with the torches  extracted hasn't the same position and type of the standard ones, as those seen on the wing-up plane. Is the date of the photo known? The plane could have been repainted.
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2011, 07:34:30 PM »

Hi John,
it seems to show the rocket location protection panel as being outside the fabric, and the panel farther out on the wing which includes the same torches as the I-15bis being under the fabric, but it's hard to be sure.
this is likely, probably the panels for the rockets were an addition on already built planes.
Regards
Massimo
xan

« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2011, 11:02:42 PM »

Hello ,
I started with the collimator.

I have this pic

But I have nothing for the front part...
does someone have pic of it?

I don't know how is done this part showed by the arrow...

Xan

KL

« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2011, 04:58:26 AM »

do the torches come out from small doors that open and close after they have been out?

Torches on I-15bis and I-153 were different:  on I-15bis torches were most likely fixed, on I-153 torches were retractable (same as landing gear)  

I-15bis manual doesn't describe torches, only the metal panel.  The panel is described as a sheet of dur-aluminium 0.5mm thick attached to the underside of the wing.  A layer of asbestos was sandwiched between the panel and the wing. No drawings of the panel and installation.

Following photo shows the metal panel as uneven, dented surface.  Metal was clearly over the fabric (to protect fabric from high temperature).  Panel was fixed (not detachable) and its edges were covered with fabric tape (see posts above)  Wink  

Photo was taken during the Winter War.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 05:08:01 AM by KL » Logged
KL

« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2011, 05:33:29 AM »

For reference, RETRACTABLE TORCHES INSTALLED ON I-153s

Technical manual mentions them in the introduction among other improvements (like retractable landing gear) over previous I-15.
Torches are included in elecrical equipment since there was a swich to extend them, then to fire one or both etc.  There is a drawing (more details than Maslov's)

This photo shows extended torches.  white rectangles are doors (covers)

Closed doors are visible here too

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2011, 07:16:26 AM »

Thank you Konstantin, this is clear now.

Hi Xan,
could you post better scans of the I-15bis with the stripes on them, please? I'm working on a gallery on I-15bis just now.

Regards
Massimo
xan

« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2011, 12:15:15 PM »

I will try this evenig...
konstantin nice pic of a FAB-50!
Xan

KL

« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2011, 08:15:25 PM »

Hi Xan,

Maybe it's me only, or my poorly calibrated monitor, but ... your weathering is seriously "overdone" - the engine would seaze if that much oil leaked!  It looks your plane landed in mustard?  Shocked

Still, it was an interesting build + a good representation of colours and standard scheme... and it's not too late to correct things.

Cheers,  Smiley
KL
xan

« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2011, 08:26:40 PM »

Maybe it's me only, or my poorly calibrated monitor, but ... your weathering is seriously "overdone" - the engine would seaze if that much oil leaked!
for the oil I like it like that...

It looks your plane landed in mustard?  Shocked
those pics are taken at night.. greens get lighter and yellow too flashy...

Xan

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2011, 11:48:13 PM »

Hi Xan,
I agree with Konstantin that the weathering is exaggerated and the mud looks too yellow. I would add that the mud should be on the wheel and the spat should be dirty only in its lower part behind the well, not on its sides and front. The wing shouldn't be dirty with mood at all because of the spats protecting it. Eventually, the tail could have some traces.
I hope that you can improve this .
Regards
Massimo
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: