Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Some of my production (all in 1/48) [picture heavy]
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 01:30:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some of my production (all in 1/48) [picture heavy]  (Read 11992 times)
Kukuruznik

« on: June 03, 2011, 11:41:58 PM »

Hi, all!

I am new to this forum, but have been lurking for quite some time. As an almost 40 years old father of two, with a new house, this hobby of mine is getting less and less time, but I have been building almost exclusively VVS subjects in 1/48 for the last five- six years or so. Just thought I'd share some pics of my work this far, to amuse and possibly shock... Most of these have been posted on hyperscale before, so sorry if they are old news to some of you...

This is where it all started six years ago, after about 20 years away from the hobby. Academy I-16 tip 10 (I think it is supposed to be). Red wings, RLM something or other below... The less said, the better.

DSC_0093 by kukuruznik, on Flickr

Next try, two CA I-152s. Already had delusions of adequacy, and added an engines and things resin M-62 and some scratchbuilt details. Must be some sort of tractor or factory green, or possibly the wall paint someones babushka used for her henhouse... Thsi was all before I discovered this site, obviously.

DSC_0138 by kukuruznik, on Flickr

DSC_0137 by kukuruznik, on Flickr

Then got some easier fare with the AM Yak-1 OOB. Still dodgy green colour.

Yak-1 by kukuruznik, on Flickr

Next one a modified Gavia U-2, in night witches livery. Sort of. Yes it's green on green, with yellow trim. What can I say, I was young and stupid.

Po-2 by kukuruznik, on Flickr

An all-in attempt to superdetail and ICM Yak 7A. First one I'm really happy with, but still the green hue is far from right. Used the kit engine as a starting point, scrathched most of the 'pit, along with the economy class seating in the back.

Yak-7 by kukuruznik, on Flickr

Yak 7A finished by kukuruznik, on Flickr

Heavily corrected ICM Yak-9. New spinner, new cockpit, redid wings to correct the ailerons etc etc.

Yak-9T by kukuruznik, on Flickr

Eduard Yak 3 in either testbed or aerobatics livery. Anybody know anything about the history of this one? What's the thingamajig on the windscreen?

Yak-3 by kukuruznik, on Flickr

New try with the I-16. Eduard's tip 10. I really need to paint up some new figures for the next photo session...

DSC_0445 by kukuruznik, on Flickr

This one from Massimo's profiles - "Hidden 4". Paints used are AKAN acrylics, lightened quite a bit for scale effect.

DSC_0442 by kukuruznik, on Flickr

DSC_0443 by kukuruznik, on Flickr

WIP: Yak 7B - one of Vorozheikin's mounts. ICM of course.

DSC_0447 by kukuruznik, on Flickr

More WIP - AM Il-2. Consider this a "what-if" - as the pictures of the plane in exactly these markings were obviously "enhanced" by photo censors. I think the comrade who added the little stripes on the trim tabs and the "Mstitel" legend to the photo might have had a boring day at work? This one includes an engine stolen from one of the ICM Migs, resin exhausts, scratch built 23mm cannon and ShKAS in wing, Eduard etch for flaps, bomb bays and interior, new spinner (to be added) etc etc. Has been in the works for two years now...

DSC_0449 by kukuruznik, on Flickr

DSC_0448 by kukuruznik, on Flickr

DSC_0451 by kukuruznik, on Flickr

Constructive criticism is always welcome!

Regards,
Peter
learstang

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 12:43:16 AM »

Welcome to the site, Peter!  Overall a nice body of work, and it's interesting to see the progression in terms of colours used.  I look at some of my early attempts at VVS models and it looks like I just slapped whatever darkish-green and lightish-blue paints I had on them, as well as using brown for that wonderful brown/green scheme.  I ruined a perfectly good KP La-5FN with that wretched scheme.  Returning to your models I'm particularly interested in your Shturmovik as that's something of my speciality (hence the avatar).  Looking good and if you have any questions about the Ilyusha, just ask!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 01:20:37 PM »

Hi Peter, really a nice collection. I like particularly the dioramas and yhose well painted human figures.
Don't worry if some colors look too bright, they are beautiful anyway.
About the Yak, I think to have some photos, but I don't know about its history.
Regards
Massimo.
marluc

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 03:55:50 PM »

Welcome Peter to the forum.Your VVS models are excellent,I like the way they?re detailed and the little dioramas you made for them.You made a very good progress in six years,from the ski I-16 to the Il-2,I particularly like the Yak 7A,the I-16 Type 10 and the Mig-3.
Thanks for sharing them with us,greetings.

Martin
Apex1701

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 04:41:16 PM »

Hi Peter,

You have done it...
After seeing your beautiful models and pictures I am leaving the hobby for ...
macrame  Grin

Well it seems I will have to do better with mine.
Thanks for sharing.

Jean
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 12:34:36 AM »

Beautiful models. Peter! I really like the I-16 with the black cowling and the MiG-3; the Novosibirsk Komsomol Yak-7 is also one of my favourites! As Jean suggests, now I'm going over to the local crafts store to stock up on macrame supplies... Cheesy

John
xan

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 09:16:56 AM »

Hello,
la lot of beautifull things!
two things:

1) Can you show more pics of the yak-9 T to see the transformation you did in the wings?
2) how did you do the transformation of the spinner of the yak ?
3) did you paint yourself the "4" code in the mig-3? if it's the case how did you do it?

Xan

Kukuruznik

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 09:41:48 PM »

Thanks, guys!

Flattered by all your nice words, but I am still a long way from mastering this hobby.

Xan - attached are some quick shots of the "Niner" and my best attempt at answering your questions.

DSC_0472 by kukuruznik, on Flickr

DSC_0477 by kukuruznik, on Flickr

DSC_0476 by kukuruznik, on Flickr

I made the following changes to the rather crude ICM kit:

Lessened the chord of the ailerons by about 1/3 by adding shims from plasticard  to the wing and cutting off the front part of the ailerons. The ailerons were then masked with Tamiya tape and the surface structure rebuilt by adding a couple of layers of mr Surfacer, which was then sanded down to the right thickness.

Rebuilt the cockpit with a brand new tubing framework from polystyrene tubing, an Eduard etch kit for the Yak-1, a new gunsight and seat from scratch

Drilled out and rebuilt the wing fuel gauges.

Rescribed the panel lines on the engine cowling top

Added details to landing gear wells, as well as actuator mechanisms for the inner doors

Molded a new spinner. This was done by making a master by "turning" a basswood rod using a dremel as an improvised lathe. Much easier than it sounds like! Some thin plasticard was heated in the oven and smash molded over the master. Went fine after a couple of tries. If anyone wants a few, let me know and I'll mail them to you. The ShVAK barrel is minimeca steel tubing.

Also added grilles and mesh to the oil and water cooler air inlets, as well as trying my best to reshape the shapes of nose and belly cooler housings to match the complex curves of the original.

My main mistakes on this one are the paint job, which is a bit messy (should also be hard-edged, not this soft), the choice of interior colour (you all know who to blame for that one...). I also need to tighten the wire aerial.

Regarding the MiG - the four was painted on. I first sealed the underlying paint and decals with Future/Klear. The template for the number was hand drawn and cut with a scalpel from wide Tamiya tape. The white paint was Vallejo, which is notorius for not sticking very well. Almost immediately after spraying i used a moistened Q-tip to get the "run" effect seen on Massimo's photos. I then sanded lightly with a 6000 grit mesh to even out the finish a bit.
learstang

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 03:38:30 AM »

Peter, are you sure about the aerial?  I've looked at a picture of an Il-2 that I'm finally finishing (a 1/32nd scale Hobby Boss wheeled single-seater) and the aerial is surprisingly slack.  In fact, if I do it realistically, which I may or may not do, it won't look quite right.  Do you have a photograph of your aeroplane?  I understand about the interior - I have several Ilyushas with IMUP interiors.  Not exactly easy to redo, unfortunately.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
steph40

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 07:48:33 PM »

Great models here... I like it... Very realistic

Regards
St?ph

1/48 aircraft of the Aces
Pages: [1]
  Print