Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
"Silver 66": The plane that never was?
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 06:57:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Silver 66": The plane that never was?  (Read 6194 times)
Bonehammer

Stealing the nail file from her own purse

« on: July 08, 2011, 03:51:38 PM »

Hello,
I wonder if anyone has information on this plane:

So far, there is a model by Peter Vill on the VVS site and a digital painting by Jerry Boucher. That's all.
I saw that someone asked for info on the scalemodels.ru forums and was met with silence.
So... fictitious markings? The sharkmouth design is very unusual.

EDIT: How strange, I see it normally. Try this:
Link
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:23:09 PM by Bonehammer » Logged

I'm too lazy to even fi
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 04:26:59 PM »

I can't see the image. Could you correct the link, please?
Massimo
KL

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 10:32:36 PM »

From:  http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Modeling/LaGG/LaGG-3/LTD/Vill/index.php

Those good old times when people believed Pilawskii every word:   Roll Eyes

Erik Pilawskii tells me that type number so quoted by us in the West is in fact a reference to the contract number and that we should forget the Western approach and belief that all airframes of the batch would be the same. Erik informs me that this just did not happen. In fact it appears that the resident staffs of the two Zavods producing the LaGG did not get on, and so they would not share ideas. Or, if one suggested some modification, the other would go away and try to do his own thing and thereby show the other up for the fools they were. You can?t help but love these people, who still have room for rivalry when your country is fighting for its life.
The drawings supplied by Erik confirmed it--the kit seems to have the nose and exhaust system of a late production type married up to the rear fuselage of an early type. Photographs uphold this view (ignore all this "Type 66" and such like stuff).

It should be "Series" not "Type".  Series is the only way to distinguish various LaGG-3 subtypes.  Same with other Soviet planes of the pre-war and GPW time.

Cheers,
KL
KL

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 10:46:42 PM »

Jerry Boucher's artwork at http://www.the-vaw.com/html/lagg3.php

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 11:36:33 PM »

Photographs uphold this view... what photos? If they haven't yet emerged since the article was published, I think that they were some night dream of EP.
Regards
Massimo
Troy Smith

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 03:19:38 AM »

Photographs uphold this view... what photos? If they haven't yet emerged since the article was published, I think that they were some night dream of EP.
Regards
Massimo

The subtitle of the build article then takes on a certain irony

" Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit. "
(No Man is Wise At All Times)

cheers
T

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: