Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Il-2I
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 05:47:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Il-2I  (Read 7935 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« on: July 20, 2011, 03:32:53 PM »

Hi,
here is a photo of Il-2I ( Istrebitel, fighter) of 1943.

It  remained ony a prototype, neverthless it's interesting for two reasons:

-the blue grey- dark grey camouflage typical of fighters of late 1943, following the same template as Yaks and Lavochkins;
-the arrow wing combined with an earlier singleseater fuselage.

It could be a good way to utilize the spare pieces after kitbashing Il2 and Il-2M3  to obtain an Il-2M (I know that these names aren't official, but they are widely known).

Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 05:33:50 PM »

To tell the truth, I'm not longer sure that it has an arrow wing. The shadow on the ground doesn't show an arrow.
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 08:49:33 PM »

Massimo, according to Gordon and Komissarov, the IL-2I was converted from a straight-winged two-seater, converted to the single-seater configuration, and having only the two 23mm cannons for armament.  I was a one-off prototype.  Your remark about the two-grey fighter scheme is intriguing - it would certainly look interesting in it and would be an easy conversion by combining the single-seater fuselage with the straight-winged two-seater wings and sanding off the machine guns.  As a somewhat similar conversion I've already "kit-bashed" the parts from the Dakoplast/Eastern Express single-seater and arrow to make a straight-winged two-seater that I plan on doing as a 37mm-armed variant.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 11:18:53 PM »

Hi Jason,
what is the difference between the straight wing of the single seater and of the two seater? The guns?
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 02:48:15 AM »

Between the later metal wings of the single-seater and the metal wings of the two-seater very little.  The wingroot panels were apparently different between the early metal-winged single-seaters and the later ones, but the only immediately visible difference between the later metal wings of the single-seater and the two-seater metal wings appears to be the absence of the anti-flutter aileron balances (the long fairings near the wingtips with the "cocktail stick" at the end).  I believe the panelling was the same or almost the same and both would have had the ShKAS machine guns inboard of the VYa-23 cannons, with their external fairings.  As far as the wooden wings, I believe they were the same, except for only two rocket rails per side for the two-seaters as opposed to four rocket rails per side for the single-seaters (the same is true for the metal-winged single-seaters and metal-winged two-seaters).

Regards,

Jason
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 03:19:44 AM by learstang » Logged

- Warren William Zevon
FPSOlkor

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 08:25:06 PM »

Fighter version of Il-2 ? Il-2I or I-Il-2 was built in small numbers (no more then 50 planes). It was a standard Il-2 with improved aerodynamics, with no bomb bays and machine guns.
State tests showed that this plane was not better then currently existing fighters, so it was decided to stop production. All previouselly produced planes were sent to different units, but according to existing documents there was no use for them there too.

http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/pilots/batievskii/batievskii.htm

Comment by Oleg Rastrenin.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 10:45:33 PM »

Hi Oleg,
this is interesting, thank you.
In the interview there is written also:
? When you accomplished your last mission during war?

It was in January 1945, from Ezel Island. From that same airfield Kogul, that was used by 1st MTAP to bomb Berlin in 1941.
I had a break and didn?t fly. I was sent to a vacation because my airplane was destroyed. It was an all-metal, lightened airplane. It was called a ?heavy fighter?. This airplane was brought to me to Gora-Valday airfield by my instructor Yakov Forostenko. After the war he became a distinguished coach and set two world records. {26}

? What was this airplane type?

Il-2-?heavy fighter? issued in small numbers. All-metal. It had arrowed wings to improve spin characteristics. {27}
Everybody in the regiment knew that I do not allow flying my plane. Once Nikolay Nikitin came to me. We were the first in the regiment to be nominated to the Hero of the Soviet Union.
? Batya, I have to go on skip-bombing mission. Please, allow me to fly your plane.
I said:
? Take it. I will allow it only to you, no one else.
He returned from the sortie and said:
? Never give me this plane. It rolls over. I could barely take off and it tends to fall down. It is light, unstable and too maneuverable.

So, it should have an arrow wing, perhaps unlike the one of the photo.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 06:08:44 AM »

This is all news to me!  From Gordon and Komissarov I read that the fighter version was a one-off prototype.  However, if Mr. Rastrenin says it was put into limited production, then it was put into limited production.  Was the production version still a single-seater?  I wonder if anyone has pictures of the production version.  Does all-metal refer to everything but the fuselage or does it refer to the fuselage as well?  It was my understanding that after 1941 no metal-fuselaged IL-2's were produced, and the only arrows with metal fuselages were postwar modifications.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 06:57:39 AM »

Hi Jason,
from the text of the veteran, I would say that it was light also because it had a rear fuselage made in metal. These informations are in contrast with what I have found, but they seem to be reminded by a man in possess of his own mind.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: