Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Polish UTI-4
Sovietwarplanes
April 19, 2024, 10:36:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Polish UTI-4  (Read 8064 times)
marluc

« on: July 24, 2011, 03:06:31 PM »

Hello:

I have these images of a UTI-4 in polish markings:

The last one is taken from the back seat and shows that the front seat has no headrest,the cover between both cockpits is solid and the front windshield is the fighter type.It looks more like a single seater turned into a trainer than an UTI-4.
Is there more information regarding this I-16? Greetings.

Martin

EDIT: The images were extracted from here:

« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 03:13:43 PM by marluc » Logged
AC26

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 11:34:06 PM »

Could this be a late-model UTI-4, as it has "tall" rear cockpit windscreen and sliding cover over it instead of canvas? This might explain different cockpit opening to the earlier ones, like the Vantaa museum example?

Cheers,

AaCee
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 09:25:39 AM »

Hi all,
is there some other document on this version somewhere?
Regards
Massimo
marluc

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 04:02:35 PM »

Could this be a late-model UTI-4, as it has "tall" rear cockpit windscreen and sliding cover over it instead of canvas?
I dont think so,the "tall" rear cover was related to the early UTI-4 and the sliding cover for blind flight,when open,was located behind the back cockpit.

Quote from: Massimo Tessitori
I found only this:

It?s from Squadron Signal In Action #162 "Polikarpov Fighters,part 2".It looks like an early UTI-4 with the triangular opening for the exhaust pipes.

Greetings.

Martin
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 04:31:00 PM by marluc » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 10:11:54 PM »

Hi Martin,
so, it seems that there was not a windshield but a sort of tunnel in front of the rear cockpit. What do you think?
Regards
Massimo
marluc

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 02:07:31 PM »

...it seems that there was not a windshield but a sort of tunnel in front of the rear cockpit. What do you think?
Hi Massimo.Yes,it?s some kind of solid tunnel linking both cockpits.From the pictures it can be seen that?s not painted in the dark colour of the fuselage,it could be in aluminium or natural metal perhaps.
In this link,there?s a profile of the polish UTI-4 from AML?s conversion set: http://www.hyperscale.com/2010/reviews/accessories/amla48023reviewmd_1.htm
Greetings.

Martin
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 02:41:09 PM »

Hi Martin,
perhaps it was done so to allow pilots to communicate. It's an easy conversion for an 1/72 model
Regards
Massimo
AC26

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 01:17:32 PM »

Could this be a late-model UTI-4, as it has "tall" rear cockpit windscreen and sliding cover over it instead of canvas?
I dont think so,the "tall" rear cover was related to the early UTI-4 and the sliding cover for blind flight,when open,was located behind the back cockpit.
After checking quickly some Russian, French books and both Finnish and UK Red Stars it seems for me, that there has been at least three different cockpit arrangements for the UTI-4:
- double opening, low rear windscreen, canvas instrument flying hood,
- double opening, low rear windscreen, sliding instrument flying hood and
- single opening, high rear windscreen/tunnel, sliding instrument flying hood.

Either of the two first alternatives seems to be the most common based on the fairly scarce pictures of the type.

Quote from: Massimo Tessitori
Quote from: marluc
I found only this:

It?s from Squadron Signal In Action #162 "Polikarpov Fighters,part 2".It looks like an early UTI-4 with the triangular opening for the exhaust pipes.
This is an instructional airframe, so it is unlikely the same aircraft as on the in-flight pictures. Also, we don't see the cockpit in this picture.

Interesting question anyway!

Cheers,

AaCee
marluc

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 04:19:40 PM »

...so it is unlikely the same aircraft as on the in-flight pictures. Also, we don't see the cockpit in this picture.
It could be the same plane of the pictures but used as an instructional aircraft once grounded.The cockpits can?t be seen because of the cover but it?s undoubtely an UTI.
Thanks for the information regarding the cockpit arrangements for the UTI-4s.Greetings.

Martin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: