Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
La-5FN - bort 15, "Za Vaska I Zhoru" colors?
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 02:10:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: La-5FN - bort 15, "Za Vaska I Zhoru" colors?  (Read 6848 times)
Troy Smith

« on: August 24, 2011, 04:11:16 AM »

Hi

famous image this one, having been published in the first 'Red Stars in the Sky' book back in 1979

the profile is listed as AMT 7/11/12 with  spinner and rudder white, inscription silver, bort silver with black outline, stars red with silver outline.

This is also the old Aeromaster red Stars in the Sky decal sheet [48-009]  with sliver inscription and silver outlined back bort number (and victory stars....not 'Errormaster' for nothing]

My question is, has any more information on this plane and the [in]accuracy of the profile/decal colours, I was under the impression that the bort was usually outlined in red?

The print in the book, note very clear above unfortunately, seems to show a very fine outline to the inscription, and i wonder if they would just stick a silver insription over silver star border and bort number.

Just that I got above Erromaster sheet cheap and always quite liked this plane, just though I'd see if anyone here knows more on the colours of this one.

EDIT - having looked through some thread here, I find in
http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=247.0

that "Za Vaska i Zoru" has to be in white, but as we discussed this in Russia, on originalsor better copy photos is red outline clear visible. On decal sheet it is in white/red outline. The outline is clear visible on better quality photos, we discussed this with people in Russia.

bort number white too?

Thanks
T

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 02:53:07 PM by Troy Smith » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 07:18:32 AM »

Hi Troy,
there is nothing suggesting that the outline of the star and the number were anything else that white. About the outline of the number, the only specimen I know is blue, but I suppose that all the available decals represent it in red, so there is no choice.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 06:19:31 PM »

Hi Troy,

In 1944 official VVS marking was a red star with wide white and thin red outline, the same as post-war markings.

Large fuselage numbers were painted in factories and really represented plane number within the series (fighters were made in series of 100 planes).  In squadrons those numbers were sometimes kept, sometimes planes were renumbered.  As Massimo said, a photo of La-5 relic recently appeared on the web - fuselage number was white outlined in blue.

In Russian literature inscription "Za Vaska i Zhoru" is usually yellow - probably a guess based on photo interpretation.

check 159 iap history at http://www.dedmzz.narod.ru/simple.html

La-5FN "15" is attributed to лейтенант Anatoliy Ruzin.  "Vasko and Zhora" were former squadron commander Vasiliy Grechka and pilot Andrey Vasilyev.  Author of the text is K.A. Lavrinenko, wartime pilot of the 159 iap.

HTH,
KL  
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:55:06 PM by KL » Logged
Troy Smith

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 04:23:23 PM »

Massimo and Konstantin.  Thank you for your replies, very helps as always.

there is nothing suggesting that the outline of the star and the number were anything else that white. About the outline of the number, the only specimen I know is blue, but I suppose that all the available decals represent it in red, so there is no choice.
Regards
Massimo

The blue out line are a surprise....all the decals I have seen are outlined in red as you say.... and the blue does look rather good!

Hi Troy,

In 1944 official VVS marking was a red star with wide white and thin red outline, the same as post-war markings.

Large fuselage numbers were painted in factories and really represented plane number within the series (fighters were made in series of 100 planes).  In squadrons those numbers were sometimes kept, sometimes planes were renumbered.  As Massimo said, a photo of La-5 relic recently appeared on the web - fuselage number was white outlined in blue.

Where was the relic found?  Is there any discussion/idea as to if this was a common or a rare practice?

In Russian literature inscription "Za Vaska i Zhoru" is usually yellow - probably a guess based on photo interpretation.

check 159 iap history at http://www.dedmzz.narod.ru/simple.html

La-5FN "15" is attributed to лейтенант Anatoliy Ruzin.  "Vasko and Zhora" were former squadron commander Vasiliy Grechka and pilot Andrey Vasilyev.  Author of the text is K.A. Lavrinenko, wartime pilot of the 159 iap.

HTH,
KL  

Thanks for this info, and the clear photo.   Interestingly the site you link to has a picture with silver numbers and star outlines!  Does look rather good though  Wink

Oh well, the 'errormaster' sheet is very old.  I note that the out of print Avalon sheet hads this option too

Thanks again gentlemen for your replies.

cheers
T
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: