Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
AMT-11 and AMT-12 Controversy
Sovietwarplanes
April 25, 2024, 09:19:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: AMT-11 and AMT-12 Controversy  (Read 105896 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2011, 02:24:00 PM »

It seems good.
Regards
Massimo
KIKKO

...Frangar non flectar............

« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2011, 10:04:13 PM »

Hi ,I want to show you the colours on the model.......What do you think about?Merry Christmas....Enrico.

mholly

« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2011, 10:40:29 PM »

Undersides look good but top colors are WAY too light! And AMT-11 has a greenish shade, that's positively incorrect.
Patterns are curved instead of rectangular, hm...
Mario
xan

« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2011, 09:56:04 AM »

Hi kikko,
as Mholly, I only like the AMT-7. the two other seems too bluish for my eyes...
Xan

Pascal

« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2011, 11:49:17 AM »

Like for Mario and Xan, the upper surfaces are frankly too light for me... AMT-7 seems correct.

Pascal

KIKKO

...Frangar non flectar............

« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2011, 02:05:35 PM »

Hi all,the colours are those I posted same days ago,only Amt-12 I've darkened a bit.....Over the colours I've sprayed a post fading to simulate a combact look......Thanks to all and Merry Christmas.Enrico.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 02:12:05 PM by KIKKO » Logged
Tyronesdaddy

« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »

If anyone is interested here is a picture of an old Accurate Miniatures IL-2 I used to test Akan paints.  I sprayed Akan amt-11 and 12 out of the bottle and photographed the model in direct sunlight.

learstang

« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2012, 08:27:06 PM »

If anyone is interested here is a picture of an old Accurate Miniatures IL-2 I used to test Akan paints.  I sprayed Akan amt-11 and 12 out of the bottle and photographed the model in direct sunlight.

That is very interesting.  The colours look lighter than I would have thought (which is a good thing:  I've always thought that the samples of AKAN AMT-11 and AMT-12 paints straight out of the bottle looked too dark to me).  Those look similar to what I would use - Testors Model Master Gunship Gray for the AMT-12 and Medium Gray for the AMT-11.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
xan

« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »

very impressive, it looks very good.
Could you do another pics, inside for exemple ?
Xan

Pascal

« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2012, 09:51:04 PM »

Yes, it looks good! I like very much.

Pascal

Tyronesdaddy

« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2012, 10:18:18 PM »

Here is one shot indoors under fluorescent light.  It looks much darker indoors.  When I first obtained the paints I dabbed some on some white paper stock and thought they looked much too dark.  Spraying them on a model they look much more believable.  BTW they spray very nicely with my Iwata HPCS thinned with approx.  25% Tamiya Acrylic thinner.  I also like the plastic bottles they come in:  spill resistant and very easy to open even after multiple uses.   The bottles are a big improvement over tinlets and glass bottles from Testors etc.

learstang

« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2012, 11:15:26 PM »

Here is one shot indoors under fluorescent light.  It looks much darker indoors.  When I first obtained the paints I dabbed some on some white paper stock and thought they looked much too dark.  Spraying them on a model they look much more believable.  BTW they spray very nicely with my Iwata HPCS thinned with approx.  25% Tamiya Acrylic thinner.  I also like the plastic bottles they come in:  spill resistant and very easy to open even after multiple uses.   The bottles are a big improvement over tinlets and glass bottles from Testors etc.

Yes; that's quite a bit of difference.  Still, they look better, as you say, painted on the model than they do painted on some white paper.  On paper, at least with my monitor, the AMT-12 looked almost black, and the AMT-11 was as dark as MM Gunship Gray (which I was using for my AMT-12!).  These colours, even the indoors ones, look more reasonable (to me) than what I had been seeing for AKAN.  Unfortunately these are acrylics, and I avoid acrylics like the plague when it comes to my airbrush (a Badger 150).  Last time I tried some acrylics, it killed two airbrushes (although I was able to eventually resuscitate the two, only after I'd spent another >$100USD on a new airbrush!).  I understand AKAN also have solvent-based paints; I may have to try those.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
mholly

« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2012, 09:11:51 AM »

Thanks a lot for this "excercise" which is another proof of an utmost futility to judge period camo colors from color or (even worse) b&w pictures.
Even though procured and then applied paint did not (just couldn't) look exactly as the desired standard, it (standard) really needs to be
a starting point to determine scale model color appearance, not the other way around i.e. from photographs (of any kind).
This is not only the problem of VVS coloration but applies to all other airforces, Japanese aviation being another most "cumbersome".
I wish modeling community undestood this concept much better. AKAN formulated their VVS paints based on surviving paint standards
and I don't see any reason not to trust them.
Cheers,
Mario
Pascal

« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2012, 10:37:57 AM »

AKAN formulated their VVS paints based on surviving paint standards and I don't see any reason not to trust them.

I agree with Mario.

The same question exists about French camouflage colours, whose an example stays on the D.520 exhibited in the Mus?e de l'Air, Le Bourget. This plane has been repainted with the paints manufacturer references. However French modellers go on to discuss about colours accuracy, comparing colour and B&W photographs...

Regards,

Pascal

John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2012, 05:53:15 PM »

Even though procured and then applied paint did not (just couldn't) look exactly as the desired standard, it (standard) really needs to be
a starting point to determine scale model color appearance, not the other way around i.e. from photographs (of any kind).
This is not only the problem of VVS coloration but applies to all other airforces, Japanese aviation being another most "cumbersome".
I wish modeling community undestood this concept much better. AKAN formulated their VVS paints based on surviving paint standards
and I don't see any reason not to trust them.
Cheers,
Mario

All true. I admit to having tried to lighten my Akan acrylics slightly for "scale effect", but I'm puzzled when modelbuilders lighten their Akan paint just because "it doesn't look right". Doesn't look right based on what? One of the "experiments" I intended on my current project (ICM 1/72 Yak-9) was to use the Akan paint straight from the bottle (as I said, I did lighten it, but only very slightly, less than 10%), but I'm not ready to paint it yet.

John
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  

Jump to: