Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Pe-2 with back rockets
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 01:55:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pe-2 with back rockets  (Read 7972 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« on: September 05, 2011, 11:40:10 PM »

Hi,
have a look to this image of Pe-2.

Nice, isn't it? But why the rockets on the fuselage back? As a way to defend the tail?
Regards
Massimo
JP
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 05:03:24 AM »

Interesting image!

I suppose anything firing backward might cause a fighter to break off for a few moments.  You could also bank off a target from a shallow dive and fire them back onto the target as you pull away.  Perhaps suppress anti-aircraft gunners for a few vital seconds.  Would be hard to say without some comment on it from a veteran. 
barneybolac

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 06:18:42 AM »

I have read about these being used on Russian A-20's for forward & rear air to air attacks.

http://ram-home.com/ram-old/pe-2.html
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 07:07:00 AM by barneybolac » Logged
warhawk

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »

I believe I saw a drawing of this modification in Squadron/Signal book, that also stated it was a rear defence measure, or as the Vikings called it - Asgard! (get it?  Wink)

Anyway, the Germans also tried something similar on the he-111 (one or two fixed MG17), and even A FLAMETHROWER on the Ju-88!
learstang

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 06:06:32 PM »

It was used to discourage German fighters from getting too close.  The chances of hitting anything were almost zero, but if I were a German pilot and I saw an RS-82 come whizzing by me, I might back off a little bit also.  The IL-10 Shturmovik had provisions for ejecting grenades for the same effect.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 11:01:20 AM »

Hi,
two scans from the Yauza book on Pe-2, courtesy  of Alex Ruchkowski.

Regards
Massimo
warhawk

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 03:32:15 PM »

Very interesting...
It looks like the ventral rocket installation was adjustable; or aimed with the machine-gun?
JP
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 04:07:03 PM »

The caption for the top image says they were installed in an attempt to increase the defensive capability of the machine, but it was considered unsuccessful.

The bottom one says factory No.22 attempted to install a movable (for aiming) installation of the rearward-firing rocket.  It does appear to be linked to the machine gun barrel with a pivot attachment at the back of the rack.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 04:19:22 PM by JP » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: