Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
1/72nd Scale L2D2 Tabby from Amodel (Licence-Built DC-3)
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 08:59:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1/72nd Scale L2D2 Tabby from Amodel (Licence-Built DC-3)  (Read 8931 times)
learstang

« on: September 14, 2011, 09:22:36 PM »

Although this is the Japanese licence-built DC-3, can the Li-2 (PS-84) be far behind?  We can only hope.  I for one am going to e-mail Amodel regarding this.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 09:59:33 PM »

Hi Jason,
interesting...
I expected an R-10 after their similar airliner (I don't remember its name) but, nothing till now.
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 09:11:16 AM »

Hi,
I was wondering if a Tabby could be a better starting point for a Li-2 than a C-47, or not.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 03:02:45 PM »

It depends on if it has the earlier-style cowlings.  The earlier cowlings were straight-sided and blunt-ended, not the more rounded shapes we're used to on C-47's.  I used an old Engines & Things replacement set on my Li-2.  I'll have to take a closer look at the Tabby to see if it had the early style cowlings.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
learstang

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 04:08:22 PM »

Looking at some photographs of it, Massimo, it appears to have the American-type freight doors, and the rounded cowlings.  I don't suppose it's any easier to convert into an Li-2 than the Italeri kit, which is what I used.  I just hope Amodel come out with a proper Li-2.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 04:13:04 PM »

I see. Besides it doesn't resolve the hardest problem, the turret.
Regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 06:33:42 PM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
K.Ingraham

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 07:38:19 PM »

We very seriously need an aftermarket kit of this turret, in 72 AND 48th. It was used in all sorts of aircraft that already exist as kits. C-47s & A-20s in both scales, for example. The guns already exist in both scales from several manufacturers.
If nothing else, the vac part.
-------
Now, since my want ad for the ICM TB3 has been getting ignored for two years, I'll ask again here: Sell me that kit!
learstang

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 07:47:56 PM »

We very seriously need an aftermarket kit of this turret, in 72 AND 48th. It was used in all sorts of aircraft that already exist as kits. C-47s & A-20s in both scales, for example. The guns already exist in both scales from several manufacturers.
If nothing else, the vac part.
-------
Now, since my want ad for the ICM TB3 has been getting ignored for two years, I'll ask again here: Sell me that kit!

I agree, but which turret - there were two different types - the UTK-1 and the MV-3?  I'm still not sure what the difference was.  As far as the TB-3, I wish I had two; one for me and one to sell you.  I suspect you've checked eBay - it seems like they have one every once in awhile (like once a year or so).  I'm still looking for the Omega IL-2 M-82 conversion kit and the RS IL-2 M-82 kit, which is an entire kit (new resin fuselage and the rest Smer parts).  If you can track one of those down for me, Kevin, I'll get you your TB-3 if I have to go to the Ukraine personally to get it.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
K.Ingraham

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 06:12:01 AM »

I agree, but which turret - there were two different types - the UTK-1 and the MV-3 I'll get you your TB-3 if I have to go to the Ukraine personally to get it.

In answer to the first: Yes. 
I didn't know that there were two types, I think I only remember seeing the UTK designation so perhaps this was more common? More likely just the one that stuck in my frazzled synapses.

As to a trip to Ukraine, I'll be glad to help carry your bags. and some battlefield guidebooks. And as for models, I hear some good things about Ukrainian women, but that might be a topic for another forum.  Grin
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 11:32:02 PM »

I'm still looking for the Omega IL-2 M-82 conversion kit and the RS IL-2 M-82 kit, which is an entire kit (new resin fuselage and the rest Smer parts).

Maybe it's just rubbing salt into the wound, but look at this; at least it's another option, though probably no more easily available than the ones you've mentioned:
http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/allies/ussr/wantail2r.htm

Are you planning to build it, or do you just want to collect the kits? It appears that a kit-bash would be feasible. If you could get it cheap, the cowling, etc., from the Valom M-82 version of the Su-6 looks pretty close; there are probably alternatives, depending on how much work you want to invest.

John
learstang

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 12:46:04 AM »

I'm still looking for the Omega IL-2 M-82 conversion kit and the RS IL-2 M-82 kit, which is an entire kit (new resin fuselage and the rest Smer parts).

Maybe it's just rubbing salt into the wound, but look at this; at least it's another option, though probably no more easily available than the ones you've mentioned:
http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/allies/ussr/wantail2r.htm

Are you planning to build it, or do you just want to collect the kits? It appears that a kit-bash would be feasible. If you could get it cheap, the cowling, etc., from the Valom M-82 version of the Su-6 looks pretty close; there are probably alternatives, depending on how much work you want to invest.

John

Actually, John, that is the kit I was referring to, I just misspelled it as "RS" instead of "RV".  And it it impossible to find.  I have in mind a kit-bash between an La-5FN and a Smer IL-2.  I suppose I'll get around to it someday, but it does look like quite a bit of work.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
TISO

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 08:11:10 PM »

It depends on if it has the earlier-style cowlings.  The earlier cowlings were straight-sided and blunt-ended, not the more rounded shapes we're used to on C-47's. 
My solution was to use cowlings without cowl flaps from Academy B-17C which are more angular as they should be anyway as i bought the replacement cowlings for later versions (i'm intending to make B-17D which had cowl flaps)

Disciple of Error
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 09:09:54 PM »

Hi,
I have that model, but I'm not enthusiast of the idea of removing the cowlings. Perhaps I've some other thing in the box of pieces.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: