Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
ICM 1/72 I-16 type 29 Conversion
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 12:55:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: ICM 1/72 I-16 type 29 Conversion  (Read 14889 times)
learstang

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »

Interesting pictures, Martin.  I notice the "trapeze" apparatus on the nose; this may be one of the tip 5's used with the "Zveno" TB-3.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 08:17:39 PM »

Hi Martin,
interesting photos indeed. Is there any caption?

Hi Jason,
Supports for the Zveno project? They looks so thin... did they support all the weight of the plane?

Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 10:51:25 PM »

They do look rather thin to me - but what else would they be?  Strangely, there appear to be some wires bracing the nose structure to the wing, and there's also a structure on the vertical tail.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
marluc

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 02:23:40 PM »

Hi Martin,
interesting photos indeed. Is there any caption?

Massimo,you can see the pictures with captions here: http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1178.0

I?ve opened a new thread where we could discuss all the topics related to the Type 5.Greetings.

Martin

John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 03:52:25 PM »

John,nice project and a good conversion work so far.It would be great to see that Type 10 too.Greetings.

Martin

Hi Martin! Here I am back from Algonquin Park; didn't get eaten by bears, but I did get absolutely soaked with rain on Tuesday. But, a bad day canoeing is better than a good day at work, as long as no one drowns... A bit of scenery, for your entertainment:

Beginning of one of the portages - it did get better, though:

My "delivery system" - 2000 Jeep Cherokee with factory heavy-duty options and Novacraft Bob Special canoe:

Did I mention that it rained? I took this while crouched under the canoe when I got caught by the storm halfway back to my campsite and had to take refuge on shore:

Anyway, enough of that! Wink

Here's the type 10; some parts - the underside cowling section is from an Amodel type 5:

Two images showing where it's at right now:

Hi John,
I think that good vacuform canopies for I-16s, particularly for earlier versions, should be much needed. Do you know if anyone produces them?
Wings with 11 ribs for type 4... who knows if it's an error of packaging?
Regards
Massimo

Hi Massimo - no, no one currently makes a vacuformed early I-16 canopy, at least not in 1/72, anyway. I wish they did! Yes, it's possible Alexander sent me the wrong wings, but that's okay - I always wanted to build a really early type 5. Here is an image of the kit contents,as I promised:

I tried to take a photo of the canopy, but nothing I did with the angle of lighting would work because the canopy is too shiney to show any details very well.

Here's another one, showing the wing undersides and the cowling face. The openings in the cowling face include half-open engine temperature control shutters which have a thin film of resin in the open part; you can see where I started to remove this on one of them:

More comments about the kit:
- All the trailing edges are really thin and sharp edged, so very good.
- It's unfortunate that the elevators are in one piece with the stabilizers, since this makes it difficult to build the model with the elevators sagging at a slight angle, as most (all?) I-16 photos show, but I think I have a solution...
- The parts in the top right-hand corner are the landing gear components - two resin main struts and some steel wire for the secondary struts. I would take these parts from an ICM I-16 for easier assembly.
- The rectangular piece between the left fuselage half and the horizontal tailplanes is a shaped piece of resin which has the outlines of the landing gear doors molded into it so you can cut them out. Again, I think it would be easier to use the ICM parts.
- I did get a decal sheet, but it's a generic sheet of red stars of different kinds from Prop&Jet (printed by Begemot), with no individual aircraft markings.

I've already started cleaning up some of the parts to test-fit them; this is the first time I've tried to build a full resin kit, so of course I sanded too much off the mating surface of one of the fuselage halves! I'm sure I can repair it, though...  Roll Eyes

John
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 04:28:28 PM by John Thompson » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 08:25:43 PM »

Hi John,
interesting photos. The resin model doesn't look bad, but having ICM kits to sacrifice is a bit sad.
About your nice conversion of type 10: the plastic is of many different colors. From which kit is each piece from?
Regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 08:47:01 PM »

About your nice conversion of type 10: the plastic is of many different colors. From which kit is each piece from?
Regards
Massimo

Hi Massimo! Except for the underside of the cowling (Amodel type 5), all the other parts are ICM; the kits were released in grey or white at different times.

John
marluc

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2011, 02:11:58 PM »

John,your Type 10 is really nice,good work and thanks for showing it to us.Greetings.

Martin
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: