Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
1/72 Zvezda Yak-3
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 11:41:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 1/72 Zvezda Yak-3  (Read 21713 times)
TISO

« on: September 27, 2011, 09:39:51 PM »

It seems that this kit is snap-tight no glue required variety.

I don't know about accuracy and details. If someone already has it please post pic's

Disciple of Error
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 09:22:16 PM »

From Scalemodels.ru, posted today (Oct.5) by AlexGRD (who has the kit), and translated by Google:

"New Yak-3 1 / 72

First impressions are very mixed
Firstly, for such a small model of a large number of sink marks on almost all large castings (!) That, given the small thickness unpleasant ...
Second, the hood and nipples clearly "not in motivic arc" - but it is to Moses, so do not stay out of work
Third, docking at the "snap tip" of the wing and in the center-fyuzelya not the best in terms of the subsequent sealing of cracks (in Hobbibossa joint border sheet repeats the fairing on the side).
Geometry has not yet had time to check, but apparently somehow struck by the keel - excessive "poker."
Dekalka poor thing .........

Otherwise, nice (it of the benefits).
The first model of this type for easy assembly to children.  Solid 5+  Target achieved
Not bad for such a scale detailing the cockpit. At least it is still possible to improve the less effort than Hasyu or Hobbiboss (again, we can and ask Musa that he thinks about it).
Landing gear so no one does - the best one.
The quality of casting small detalek very, very, but that traces of the pushers .....
The price is more than adequate - 160r. The World Modeler. Again 5+ Manufacturer"

In a later post, he says he will take some photos tonight and post them in the thread on Scalemodels.ru:
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fscalemodels.ru%2Fmodules%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic_t_33970_start_80.html&act=url

Stay tuned! Cheesy

John
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 11:27:22 PM »

Sprue images are up now; go here and scroll down to a post by "Sulla":
http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_33970_start_80.html

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 12:25:15 AM »

Hi John,
thank you for this post.
From the photos, my impression is good. Not only the cockpit and landing gear, but the cooler and exhaust pipes too  look better than the Hasegawa. Pity that the propeller is not separed from the spinner. The sink marks are all on internal surfaces. If it won't reveal other defects, it looks worth to buy.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 12:51:36 AM »

It looks nice enough to me.  I might have to buy one.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 01:12:19 AM »

Even better, now that Authentic's new Yak-1/-1b decal sheet is finalized and on its way to the printers, the author of these decals ("Foxbot") is working on Yak-3 decals as his next project:
http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_34010_start_0.html

John
learstang

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 02:09:02 AM »

Good news.  I like Authentic Decals; I have their IL-2 sheet (of course), and although it's fragile (you need to apply some sort of clear coat over the decals to strengthen them), it has very nice registration.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
mholly

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 11:33:36 AM »

Gentlemen,
It seems that Zvezda took "Hobby Boss' path" in terms of design and marketing philosophy-snap-tite, low cost, young modelers...
I can hardly argue with that but it definitely disappoints me. Just look at those "snap-tite" attachment points, this is NOT for a "serious modeler" (you know what I mean). And add those thick, out-of-scale landing gear covers
Anyone you ever tried to build HB kit to a decent standard knows what I'm talking about (Mig-3, most accurate, right?). Yes, we're getting closed-up, deep (?) and detailed wheel wells but marred (again) by those attachment points. Yes, low price is highly anticipated on the other had the reviewer did say that decals are... well you'd need the upcoming Authentic sheet so all advantage is gone anyhow!
I had gotten myself that "famous" and "so accurate" VES Yak-3. It's just slightly improved Heller kit which is, sorry, not even worth talking about.
Waiting for a really "modern" 1/72 Yak-3 is not over yet. I guess I'll stick to Hasegawa kit for now (and get a few more).
My hope is that Eduard upon their (very successful) return to 1/72 market will consider VVS subjects in the future.
Cheers,
Mario
Walker

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 12:23:37 PM »

mholly you're absolutely right! I am personally very disappointed with this model.
P & J  planning set for this model. How much will a set, I have not decided yet, but will.
Also pleased to report that "Behemoth" is preparing a very nice decal with 50 color options.
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 04:14:53 PM »

Gentlemen,
It seems that Zvezda took "Hobby Boss' path" in terms of design and marketing philosophy-snap-tite, low cost, young modelers...
I can hardly argue with that but it definitely disappoints me. Just look at those "snap-tite" attachment points, this is NOT for a "serious modeler" (you know what I mean). And add those thick, out-of-scale landing gear covers
Anyone you ever tried to build HB kit to a decent standard knows what I'm talking about (Mig-3, most accurate, right?). Yes, we're getting closed-up, deep (?) and detailed wheel wells but marred (again) by those attachment points. Yes, low price is highly anticipated on the other had the reviewer did say that decals are... well you'd need the upcoming Authentic sheet so all advantage is gone anyhow!
I had gotten myself that "famous" and "so accurate" VES Yak-3. It's just slightly improved Heller kit which is, sorry, not even worth talking about.
Waiting for a really "modern" 1/72 Yak-3 is not over yet. I guess I'll stick to Hasegawa kit for now (and get a few more).
My hope is that Eduard upon their (very successful) return to 1/72 market will consider VVS subjects in the future.
Cheers,
Mario

You make some good points, Mario. The problem with the HB Yak-3 (yes, I tried very hard to build it, accurately) is that not only is it simplified, but it is inaccurate in some ways. Even if the Zvezda kit is simplified and compromised by things like the landing gear door attachments, at least it's generally an accurate representation of the Yak-3 (or so I read on Scalemodels.ru, where it's the subject of much argument, I admit). Anyway, I like what I see so far, but I'll wait until I get the real thing in my hands before I uncork the champagne!

I hate to say it, but you (and I!) may have to wait a while if we expect much more from Eduard in 1/72 after the Hellcat. From some discussion on the 1/72 forum, it sounds like Eduard (among others) are backing off on some of their future plans to concentrate on sure sellers (read, "1/48 Bf-109E") because of economic conditions in Europe and elsewhere.

mholly you're absolutely right! I am personally very disappointed with this model.
P & J  planning set for this model. How much will a set, I have not decided yet, but will.
Also pleased to report that "Behemoth" is preparing a very nice decal with 50 color options.

Hi Musa! It will be interesting to see what you create - one of the posts on Scalemodels.ru has a long and complicated list for you! Wink It's good to hear about the Begemot decal sheet, but I'm surprised to hear that it includes 50 options - I didn't think there would be accurate information for markings of so many Yak-3's - is it all the Yak-3, or does it include some other Yak types?

Cheers!
John
Walker

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 10:04:41 PM »

Hi John,

Only Yak-3  Grin 50 options. First they wanted to 100 options, but found only 50.  Grin
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 10:07:46 PM by Walker » Logged
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 08:41:46 PM »

In stock now at HobbyTerra:
http://hobbyterra.com/product.asp?idProduct=4181

(Also in stock as of today is the Begemot 100-option I-16 decal sheet in 1/72 and 1/48, if you haven't got yours yet... Wink )

John
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 01:13:19 AM »

I received my Zvezda Yak-3 today; my initial response is that it's excellent! Even after looking hard at the sprue images posted on Scalemodels.ru, I was still surprised at the fineness of molding and the very delicate detail on the kit - I guess I was unconsciously expecting something rather crude, like the HobbyBoss Yak-3. Some further comments:

Overall outline accuracy: The drawings from the Skrzydla monograph "Jak-3" by Zbigniew Luranc, published in 1997, are the most accurate available; rumour has it that Luranc made these drawings based on measurements taken directly from one of the three remaining Yak-3's in existence. These drawings are available here; scroll down about halfway, to a post by BM (not the ones posted earlier on the same page by Thunderbolt):
http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_12929_start_60.html
Comparing the main components (fuselage halves, wings, stabilizers) to these drawings, all of the parts match perfectly. I believe there was a comment elsewhere regarding the radiator housing - this seems to match the drawings in profile, but it might be a bit narrow in plan view, 1mm or less. Hardly a "fatal flaw"! All the small parts (landing gear, cockpit components, etc.) are remarkably fine a well detailed.

Rib/fabric detail: Zvezda chose not to attempt any representation of rib detail on the control surfaces. I have no problem with that - walkaround images of the remaining Yak-3's show the fabric on these surfaces to be very tight and relatively featureless, so such detail would hardly be visible in 1/72 scale. Those who feel the necessity can create this detail by filing/sanding or perhaps by adapting the control surfaces from another 1/72 Yak kit. See this image for an example of what the Yak-3 aileron looks like in real life:
http://scalemodels.ru/modules/photo/viewcat.php?id=11685&cid=343&min=48&orderby=dateA&show=12

Sink marks: There are some sink marks due to contraction of the hot plastic after molding visible on the upper and lower surfaces of the wings, in the area where the wing thickness changes suddenly due to the way the insert which includes the wheel well openings is designed. These sink marks are very shallow; they are in a location where a coat or two of liquid filler can easily be applied and sanded down without endangering any detail.

Decals: Yes, the decals don't offer an overwhelming number of choices, and the two options that are offered have been done to death over the years, but at least they're well printed if you are content with the two options presented. These are a Normandie Niemen aircraft, Captain Marcel Albert's White 6, and a standard VVS aircraft, Lt Semen Rogovoy's White 15.

Overall, I think this kit is excellent, regardless of price. At $10 US, it's a real bargain. Despite the "snap-together" design, it's by no means a toy - Zvezda really have produced a kit which will appeal to both the beginner and the enthusiast. There's no question - this kit is, by far, the best Yak-3 available in 1/72 scale.

John

Yak-3 walkarounds:
http://scalemodels.ru/modules/photo/viewcat_cid_343.html
http://scalemodels.ru/modules/photo/viewcat.php?cid=162&orderby=date

Forum thread which includes photos of NN Yak-3's:
http://forums.airforce.ru/showthread.php?t=2629
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 01:52:35 AM by John Thompson » Logged
learstang

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 01:37:51 AM »

Sounds great, John - thank you for the review.  Definitely sounds like it's worth the money.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Walker

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 03:06:31 PM »

Hi, John.
With all due respect. I do not share your enthusiasm.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: