Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Specially-Marked Il-2's
Sovietwarplanes
April 16, 2024, 07:49:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Specially-Marked Il-2's  (Read 3938 times)
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« on: October 05, 2011, 02:58:48 AM »

Some good photos of specially-inscribed Shturmoviks:
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fvif2ne.ru%2Fnvi%2Fforum%2F0%2Fco%2F148346.htm&act=url

John
learstang

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 04:39:24 AM »

As always, thank you for the link, John!  Interesting Shturmoviks - they have the short radio masts, which are supposed to be representative of early two-seaters, yet they were apparently produced in September of 1943, and appear to be painted in the three-colour scheme, which would make them very late straight-winged two-seaters (the arrow began to be produced in the fall of 1943).  In addition, they have the later, more "cutout" gunner's canopy.  I can't tell if the wings are wooden or not; if they're from Zavod 18, they should be metal (there were two zavodi in Kuibyshev, today's Samara - Zavod 18 and Zavod 1).  Wherever they're from, these are nice closeup shots of the Shturmovik and are now a part of my rather large collection of IL-2 pictures (at over 3,600 pictures and 4.5 GB and growing).

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 02:27:02 PM »

Wow - that's an impressive collection! Do you have any advice regarding backups in the event of a hard disc crash? My own collection has outgrown the capacity of a simple CD backup so I've been considering a big USB stick, but so far I haven't done anything about it. I'd rather not go to the expense of a portable hard disc, but maybe that's the sensible answer. Comments?

John
learstang

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 05:40:13 PM »

John, what I'm using is a portable Seagate hard disk of about 450GB that connects to a USB port on my desktop.  In addition, I also have some of the pictures on various CD's - you can't have too many backups!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: