Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Il-2 Wreckage
Sovietwarplanes
April 26, 2024, 08:55:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Il-2 Wreckage  (Read 6820 times)
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« on: October 11, 2011, 10:11:24 PM »

Go here to download 123 images of Il-2 wreckage; the file name is Il-2.zip. 92.6 meg; takes about 15 minutes to download. Click on "скачать":
http://files.mail.ru/CI66D7

John
learstang

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 01:03:49 AM »

Thank you for the link, John!  This is from a museum in Kiev, isn't it?  You have seen the footage of the now-flying restored Shturmovik, I hope.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
KL

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 08:09:30 PM »

This is from a museum in Kiev, isn't it?

John/Jason,
It's Il-10, not Il-2!!!
Check it out at http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Research/1948/1948_Albom_Nakrasok.html

"Wreckage of an Il-10 in an Ukrainian museum. My apologies for the poor lighting in this shot."  Grin
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »

Owwwwch...  Cheesy

But what kind of Il-2 is it? Now I can display my own ignorance about the Ilyusha - it appears to be (almost) all-metal; visible on the wing is the extended aileron mass balance which I thought was only found on early single-seaters, and yet it's obviously a two-seater. Some of the workmanship in the area of the gunner's position looks pretty rough - could it be a field conversion? Oh Jason.... Wink

John
learstang

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 02:51:24 AM »

John, I looked over the photographs, and I don't see that balance you're talking about.  Could you post the picture?  As far as this being a field conversion, the answer is no.  This is a factory-built two-seater.  The field conversion was simplicity itself - a round hole cut just aft of the canopy (sometimes necessitating a small cutout at the bottom of the canopy), with either a ring from an R-5 or SB, or a gun on a simple pivot mount, attached to the fuselage with metal straps on both sides.  If this particular 'plane did have the balances, it could be a single-seater that were modified on the assembly line, which did occur.  Nonetheless, as far as the rear gunner position is concerned, it would look like that of a planned two-seater.  I suppose a factory-modified single-seater would still have the wingtip balances, if it were metal-winged, yet otherwise look like an early two-seater.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 02:22:34 PM »

Hi Jason! The balance, if that's what it is, is visible in the photo Konstantin posted (the dark line on the wing, just above the cockpit). It's also more clearly seen in image P1010037. I would have posted a picture but right now PostImage.org seems to be having problems.

(Looking further at more photos and drawings, the thing I see is not as close to the wing tip as these other sources show the balance to be, so perhaps I'm mistaken. Again...  Roll Eyes )

John
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 03:53:13 PM by John Thompson » Logged
learstang

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 06:02:39 PM »

John, that could be a rocket rail.  The device in the photograph Konstantin posted is definitely not the anti-flutter balance, which was near the wingtip, at the end of the ailerons.  I think this is a pretty run-of-the-mill straight-winged two-seater, with metal wings.  The photographs do show some interesting details, such as a preserved portion of the AMT-6/AMT-4 camouflage.  No problem about being mistaken - being mistaken is the birthright of anyone who studies the Shturmovik.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
KL

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 12:17:03 AM »

Hi John/Jason,  Smiley
just a reminder:  the "exhibit" actually consists of two wrecks!

1.  Outer wing panels of a late 1942 single seater modified (in factory?) into a two-seater
2.  Bronekorpus + centroplan of a standard late 1943 two-seater

1942 plane was camouflaged in green+black, 1943 was probably in standar 3-colour scheme, but what is visible is mostly green ALG-5 and ligher olive green AMT-4.

Explained at dishmodels at
http://dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=416
my translation - post 14 at http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=895.0

happy modelling,
KL
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 12:28:10 AM »

Thanks, Konstantin and Jason! Very interesting!

John
learstang

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 12:41:38 AM »

Thank you for the clarification, Konstantin!  I didn't realise it was two aeroplanes.  That does make it somewhat difficult to identify the version!

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: