Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
IL-2T.
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 09:45:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: IL-2T.  (Read 12343 times)
Russell M

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 02:48:32 AM »

Here is my logic, the Il-2 is the most produced aircratft of all time and has been poorly served by model companies as have been most VVS subjects.  I know there has been a general concensus that those subjects don't sell and I have been trying to get an understanding of why.  I think a lot of it has to do with the Cold War and the revisionist history that accompanied that period and the lasting after effects. I think here in the West we suffer the from the lack of understanding of both the understanding of the importance of the role played by the VVS in keeping Luftwaffe forces occupied that would have otherwise been used to stem the tide of our own strategic and tactical air forces.  That lack of understanding extends to both unit structure, deployment and operational schemes and markings.  As it relates to modeling, average Joe modeller builds what's available (as he does in most cases) while most serious modellers shy away from VVS subject matter because of a clear answer for color and or markings.  The key to any release would have to be accurate decals, paint guide, and color call outs.  I have been considering both the Il-2 and Yak-9 from Dakoplast as a sort of "profopack" release, and while neither is ideal I think the Il-2 shows more promise for a few reasons.  The primary appeal is that the molds exist and are to a standard that rivals the best of that short run producers from the Czech Republic.  As far as I know the only aftermarket ever produced for the Il-2 was the NeoOmega cockpit which is no longer available. 

Sales in Eastern Europe would be essential, but I think the extras would sell it in the West.  The key is to find the molds and see what it will cost to contract a run of kits in those numbers.  I would like to hold the cost to the $20-25 range.  The Academy kit MSRP was $22.50 so the 2 seater will be at least that although I haven't seen anything from Academy saying that they intend to bring it out this year, judging by the cost of recent Hobby Boss kits the same size that kit will be at least in price range. 
learstang

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 04:20:59 AM »

Here is my logic, the Il-2 is the most produced aircratft of all time and has been poorly served by model companies as have been most VVS subjects.  I know there has been a general concensus that those subjects don't sell and I have been trying to get an understanding of why.  I think a lot of it has to do with the Cold War and the revisionist history that accompanied that period and the lasting after effects. I think here in the West we suffer the from the lack of understanding of both the understanding of the importance of the role played by the VVS in keeping Luftwaffe forces occupied that would have otherwise been used to stem the tide of our own strategic and tactical air forces.  That lack of understanding extends to both unit structure, deployment and operational schemes and markings.  As it relates to modeling, average Joe modeller builds what's available (as he does in most cases) while most serious modellers shy away from VVS subject matter because of a clear answer for color and or markings.  The key to any release would have to be accurate decals, paint guide, and color call outs.  I have been considering both the Il-2 and Yak-9 from Dakoplast as a sort of "profopack" release, and while neither is ideal I think the Il-2 shows more promise for a few reasons.  The primary appeal is that the molds exist and are to a standard that rivals the best of that short run producers from the Czech Republic.  As far as I know the only aftermarket ever produced for the Il-2 was the NeoOmega cockpit which is no longer available. 

Sales in Eastern Europe would be essential, but I think the extras would sell it in the West.  The key is to find the molds and see what it will cost to contract a run of kits in those numbers.  I would like to hold the cost to the $20-25 range.  The Academy kit MSRP was $22.50 so the 2 seater will be at least that although I haven't seen anything from Academy saying that they intend to bring it out this year, judging by the cost of recent Hobby Boss kits the same size that kit will be at least in price range. 

Actually, Russell, in my research for my IL-2 modelling guide, I've uncovered a surprising number of aftermarket sets for the IL-2 in 1/72nd scale, such as from Eduard, Equipage (wheels), Falcon (canopies), etc., although many are out of production or otherwise hard to obtain.  However, your observations are I think correct.  Compared to equally and less important Western Allied and Luftwaffe subjects (as I've said before on this and other sites, do we really need another sodding Bf-109E, in any scale?), the IL-2 has been underrepresented both in terms of modern kits and accessories.  I think the Dakoplast moulds are a good start; they are accurate, and have good surface detail.  The masters were obviously done by someone who did their research.  They are not the easiest kits in the world to build, but with limited-run, and that's what you're talking about here, that's to be expected (anyone who expects Hasegawa-quality from limited-run, and limited-run VVS kits at that is an unrealistic idiot).  What sells them to me is that they have the correct surface coverings - no metal fuselages here, and they and their rebrandings are the only game in town when it comes to wooden-winged Shturmoviks, which accounted for roughly half of all IL-2 production.  I think your observations regarding the pricing are also correct; I believe $20-$25USD for a good, accurate, correctly marked and detailed Shturmovik would be very reasonable.  Again, as John has pointed out, we're hardly unbiased.  After seeing kit after kit have that wretched metal fuselage, and seeing a monstrosity like that Airfix kit still being released, I'm starved for good IL-2 kits in 1/72nd scale, especially a straight-winged two-seater.  The Toko kit is a decent kit, and I've been able to get good results with it, but I definitely think there's room for a first-rate straight-winged two-seater kit representing the wooden-winged variant (and a wooden-winged arrow also).

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Russell M

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 08:09:31 AM »

As I said finding who currently has possesion of the molds will be the key. The previous project I had tried to put together that was not a problem.  Eduard is the standard for etched brass and they have artwork to work from for the Il-2, their are a number of comanies to solicit resin bids from. It is facinating to put these deals together and when the right opportunity comes together I intend to procede.  I'd like to put 1 or 2 things together using existing kits to finance some new mold subjects and have the molds made by one of the Czech companies. There are a number of VVS subjects I think could be produced but I don't think it would be financially feasible to rely on just those subjects.  One other improvement I can see is using a better quality of plastic, the plastic in the kit I'm building has a rubbery quality to it. 
bbrought

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 10:23:28 AM »

Does anyone know if the Il-T that is sold by Modelist is a straight wing or arrow?  I have no interest in building it as a Il-2T but I can't seem to find the ex Dakoplast kit in the swept wing version anywhere and would pisk one or more of these up if so.

Hi Russell. I built the Modelist IL-2T. At the time I didn't know any better and actually built it with the torpedo and using "pilawskii" colours... It still looked nice though. The sprues say "Dako", so unless something changed in the 8 years or so since I bought it, it is definitely the Dakoplast moulds and it is indeed the arrow wing version. I would recommend you use aftermarket decals though.

It has been a while since I built it, but I also seem to remember the kit used a soft white plastic. For some reason, it is quite heavy. The detail is very nice, but I remember the fuselage/wing join was a little tricky. Otherwise, and with a little patience, it will build into a nice two-seat "arrow".

Let me know if you want me to check anything on the model. Due to some damage from a move, the torpedo and the brown/green paint, I would be too embarrassed to photograph it now. I might still have the instructions, in case you are interested in a scan?

Regards,
Bennie
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 10:36:08 AM by bbrought » Logged

BA Broughton
Russell M

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 03:29:47 PM »

Thanks Bennie, I was primarily trying to find what version was in the box as the arrow kits don't seem to be avaiable.  That info is very helpful.
bbrought

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 03:42:54 PM »

Yes, it is definitely an arrow - at least in mine. Keep in mind I bought it about 8 to 10 years ago.

BA Broughton
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: