Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
IL-2T.
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 12:30:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: IL-2T.  (Read 12342 times)
barneybolac

« on: October 15, 2011, 07:58:53 AM »

What if any information exists on the torpedo version of this plane? I have seen profiles & model kits & books referencing them but nothing really solid as photos or actual combat use?

Regards:Rodney.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 01:29:11 PM »

Hi Rodney,
the same thing for me. Never found any proof of its existance and operative use. In my idea, all its armour would have been wasted if employed with a long-range weapon as a torpedo.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 05:33:34 PM »

From what I've been able to determine, the IL-2T never existed, except in profile form and kit form, in other words it only existed in the imagination!  I think it is about as factual as the use of brown/green camouflage on Shturmoviks.  I also have never seen a single photograph of one.  The Naval air units used the IL-4 and the A-20 Boston for torpedo attacks, whilst the IL-2 would use bombs, rockets, and gunfire for anti-shipping purposes.  The IL-2 carrying such a large weapon would have been extremely unwieldy, and would be at the very limit of its load-carrying capability (it was usually restricted to around 1,300 lbs. although one IL-2 experimentally carried nearly 2,000 lbs. of disposable ordnance).

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
barneybolac

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 05:16:38 AM »

Thank you.
barneybolac

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 04:35:39 AM »

From what I've been able to determine, the IL-2T never existed, except in profile form and kit form, in other words it only existed in the imagination!  I think it is about as factual as the use of brown/green camouflage on Shturmoviks.  I also have never seen a single photograph of one.  The Naval air units used the IL-4 and the A-20 Boston for torpedo attacks, whilst the IL-2 would use bombs, rockets, and gunfire for anti-shipping purposes.  The IL-2 carrying such a large weapon would have been extremely unwieldy, and would be at the very limit of its load-carrying capability (it was usually restricted to around 1,300 lbs. although one IL-2 experimentally carried nearly 2,000 lbs. of disposable ordnance).

Regards,

Jason
A flight SIM game I play there is a fellow that plays as well who's Grandfather was an IL-2 Pilot & was forced to become a rear gunner for some indiscretion he did not sure what.

He was reading the information I gave him about Stepanyan & his wild paint scheme. His name is Alex & wanted to see the photos of his IL-2.

Alex is also Armenian like Stepanyan so he was very interested in this plane. I also gave him the information with the Red Falcons link about Stepanyan.

He was surprised as to how Stepanyan was sinking war ships with a IL-2. Alex's grandfather had long passed away so he asked his father how this was done & since his grandfather had told his son about all his war exploits. He told him about the torpedo carrying ability of the IL-2T.
This is a link he found from Russia. I used Google translator & it is a terrible translation so I just left the Russian link.

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/sww2/il2t.html

It just may be possible that they really did use them.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 06:57:45 AM »

Hi Rodney
I see. Thank you for posting. Reports seem credible, but the lack of any document is suspect.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 06:50:42 PM »

Absent photographs, I still find the existence of torpedo-carrying IL-2's to be very suspect.  I don't know how much Soviet torpedoes weighed, but similar torpedoes with other countries weighed 1,800 to 2,000 pounds or so.  Even if the torpedo were 1,600 pounds, it would be difficult for a Shturmovik to carry one into the air.  It wasn't like the Shturmovik could be easily lightened - the front fuselage armour, for example, was impossible to remove as it wasn't just an integral part of the structure, it was the structure.  Properly lightening the Shturmovik to where it were able to carry a torpedo and still have anything approaching a useful range seems to me would have involved extensive redesign, which would not have happened with the Shturmovik (Stalin didn't like anything that interfered with the production of the IL-2).  And with perfectly useful torpedo-carrying aircraft such as the IL-4 and the Boston, there would have been little need for a torpedo-carrying IL-2.  I am, however, open to evidence.  If someone can come up with a convincing photograph (I don't mean one of the heavily-retouched photographs so typical of the Soviet Union) then obviously I will have to reconsider my opinion.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Russell M

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 06:07:16 PM »

Does anyone know if the Il-T that is sold by Modelist is a straight wing or arrow?  I have no interest in building it as a Il-2T but I can't seem to find the ex Dakoplast kit in the swept wing version anywhere and would pisk one or more of these up if so.
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 07:50:10 PM »

Hey Russell - welcome aboard! I tried a few searches but couldn't find anyone offering the Modelist Il-2T who actually put up sprue images, and I haven't got one to check. I also looked at Eastern Express; their swept-wing Il-2's are reboxings of the Toko kit, not Dakoplast. FWIW, an easy "field mark" is one-piece prop = Toko; three separate blades = Dako/Modelist, as well as other differences, of course. Maybe Jason will know; sorry I wasn't more help!

Speaking of Jason, while I was blundering around the Internet I stumbled across this - c'mon - you know you want one!  Cheesy
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330677923711&ih=014&category=421&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

John
learstang

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 08:13:17 PM »

Welcome to the site, Russell!  I think most representations of this probably spurious IL-2 have them as arrows; although I have some of the Dakoplast kits and re-brandings, such as Modelist, and Eastern Express, I don't have any of the IL-2T's (I don't think Eastern Express even makes one; their arrows may all be Toko re-brandings as John says).  However, whilst looking at the Dakoplast/Modelist artwork in the Book of Armaments (otherwise known as my still-in-progress IL-2 Modelling Guide), they depict an early straight-winged two-seater on the box, with the short antenna mast and the long gunner's canopy.  Whether or not that corresponds to the plastic on the inside, I'm not certain.  You might try and look on eBay for one (I don't recall seeing one lately) and see if the buyer might not take a look inside.  John, regarding the licence plate, yes I do need that, but they have to correct the paint scheme of course (that looks like RAF Interior Green, not AMT-4), and get rid of that blasted metal fuselage!

Regards,

Jason 

- Warren William Zevon
Russell M

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 10:59:14 PM »

Thanks John and Jason, I've been a member for 1 1/2 years I was surprised to see that I had never posted before!  In my searches through the web the pst week I have found 1 mail order site that lists the swept wing kit in a Modelist box and they show an availability in 21-90 days so perhaps a good question is where are the molds?  After working on the straight wing kit  for the past 2 weeks I can see the accuracy and attention to detail that was taken during it's developement.  On my particular build I am using some of the Quickboost parts and Eduard brass designed for the Eduard and Academy kits.  The wing/fuselage joint on ny build has been dramatically improved by a small change in the constrution sequence. 

Which leads me to a question,  if these kits were to be re-released in a boxing to include a resin cockpit and exhausts, etched brass (instument panel, belts, etc) and decals with accurate paint schemes what do you feel the sales viability would be?  I am leary of the single seater but I think both versions of the 2 seater should sell in a run of 2000 kits.  Any ideas?
learstang

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 01:01:12 AM »

Russell, I'd buy such a kit in a heartbeat, and I suspect John would also.  If it were marketed in Central/Eastern Europe, I suspect 2000 kits would be sellable.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 01:15:46 AM »

After working on the straight wing kit  for the past 2 weeks I can see the accuracy and attention to detail that was taken during it's developement.  On my particular build I am using some of the Quickboost parts and Eduard brass designed for the Eduard and Academy kits.  The wing/fuselage joint on ny build has been dramatically improved by a small change in the constrution sequence. 

Sounds interesting - I haven't looked at your WIP thread on the 1/72 forum since your first post, but I'll certainly check it again soon!

Which leads me to a question,  if these kits were to be re-released in a boxing to include a resin cockpit and exhausts, etched brass (instument panel, belts, etc) and decals with accurate paint schemes what do you feel the sales viability would be?  I am leary of the single seater but I think both versions of the 2 seater should sell in a run of 2000 kits.  Any ideas?

Mmmm... Don't want to be a wet blanket, but I think you'd be depending very heavily on the hard-core enthusiast ("nut") market for sales. And considering how Academy is supposed to be (finally) going ahead with their two-seater (Il-2m?) this year, as well as another 1/72 two-seater (Il-2m3, IIRC) promised by Trumpeter, you'd have some stiff competition. I know that the Dako Il-2 is very good, but is it up to Trumpeter- and Academy-class competition, even with the added "bling"? Especially when the goodness of the Dako kit isn't widely known (like so many things about VVS modelbuilding...  Roll Eyes ). Good decals may or may not be a big draw, considering how the Authentic sheet, plus the ones from Viktor Povinsky, are already out there (I don't know if Viktor's done a two-seater sheet yet, though). It's a tough call. I'd probably buy one, but I'm hardly a typical kit consumer, and one obsessive VVS buff doesn't constitute much of a market sample!

John
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 01:19:00 AM »

Okay, make that TWO obsessive VVS buffs... And of course, Jason has a good point - Europe might be more receptive than other parts of the world.

John
learstang

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 01:30:42 AM »

Russell, John makes some good points.  We're hardly representative buyers here, but then again, you are aiming at people interested in the VVS.  I'd love to see Academy come out with their straight-winged two-seater, but they've been sitting on those for years so we'll see.  If you got good press on a Russian site like scalemodels.ru, and marketed them as the only wooden-winged examples on the market, who knows?  Of course price enters into it - I suppose the Academy kit will sell for $15 to $20, and the Trumpeter kit for about the same.  However, if you want to do a production run of two, you've got it made with John and me.  Sign us up!

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: