Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
1/72nd Scale Special Hobby Soviet Mustang Mk.1
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 11:01:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 1/72nd Scale Special Hobby Soviet Mustang Mk.1  (Read 14656 times)
learstang

« on: October 20, 2011, 02:08:24 AM »

Here's an interesting model - a kit of a Soviet Allison-powered Mustang (I think they had around ten or so?).  The really interesting thing about this kit is that if you look at the parts diagram, you have enough parts left over to make another Mustang!  Wings, fuselage, and tailplanes are all duplicated (for an A-36 Apache).  All you'd need would be some of the fiddly bits like propeller, canopy, etc. - things you could probably get as aftermarket parts (at a price, of course).  I have to admit I'm tempted.  And it's not like I don't like Soviet Lend-Lease aircraft; I have a P-47, two P-39's, three P-40's, and a B-25 all nearing completion.  And with this kit, it's like a two-for-one deal.  Here's the link - http://www.model-making.eu/show_file.php?src=%2Fzdjecia%2F8%2F0%2F7%2F2196_2_SPH72225_2.jpg.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 02:29:29 PM »

Hi Jason,
nice thing. Only, all the details are lacking. One could kitbash the surplus parts with a kit of Italeri for all the details: this kit has a bad shape error, offering wings similar to that of a P-51D.
According to Red Stars 4,  4 Mustang Mk-1 were received in 1942, three of which were tested in operational conditions on the Kalinin front, but they were not much appreciated.
Regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 03:22:09 PM »

Interesting! I'd really like to see sprue images of this one - is it a new mold or a reboxing of another kit? Condor had a very good P-51, but I don't recall an A-36 from them. There was an earlier, complete series of Allison Mustangs from a company called Model News which did include the A-36; these were somewhat rough, but buildable with some extra effort. I wonder if it's a reissue of the Model News kit(s). Currently the best 1/72 P-51 is the Academy kit, of course, but it's been several years since that was released, and there's still no sign of a P-51A or A-36 from them.

John
learstang

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 06:03:41 PM »

Here are the links to the sprue shots, gentlemen.  Enjoy!  http://www.model-making.eu/show_file.php?src=%2Fzdjecia%2F4%2F0%2F7%2F2196_1_SPH72225_1.jpg, and http://www.model-making.eu/show_file.php?src=%2Fzdjecia%2F5%2F0%2F7%2F2196_1_SPH72225_2.jpg.  A little flash, but they don't look half bad to these tired, old eyes.  Of course, no telling how good the parts go together, but any modeller interested in VVS subjects probably has some experience with limited-run kits.  Massimo, I was thinking if you had a good enough spares box, you might be able to do another Mustang with only a few aftermarket parts.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 06:40:10 PM »

Thanks for the links, Jason! A check of the Mustang storage box shows:
(1) I was wrong - Condor did the full range of Allison early Mustangs, not just the P-51 as I said before;
(2) These Special Hobby kits are definitely from the Condor molds, not the Model News ones.

John
learstang

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 07:24:46 PM »

John, have you built the Condor kit?  I really am tempted by this "new" kit.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 02:19:35 PM »

Regards,

Jason

Unfortunately, no, but it looks good in the box; on-line reviews say it's good. Condor was connected with MPM (the kit was also available in an MPM boxing), so I'd say buy it with confidence. How much does it cost? Considering it's almost a "twofer" (two kits fer the price of one, ha ha), it looks like it could be a bargain.

John
learstang

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 06:20:37 PM »

Regards,

Jason

Unfortunately, no, but it looks good in the box; on-line reviews say it's good. Condor was connected with MPM (the kit was also available in an MPM boxing), so I'd say buy it with confidence. How much does it cost? Considering it's almost a "twofer" (two kits fer the price of one, ha ha), it looks like it could be a bargain.

John

The Super-Hobby mail order house in Poland has it for 15.40 Euros, which comes out to 21.17USD.  Not too bad for a limited-run kit with nearly two kits in it.  If I can find some place that does a little cheaper shipping, I may very well buy it.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Palanadine

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 10:49:24 PM »

Good evening everyone!

Sorry for the necro, but was looking for an A-36 Apache/ Mustang MkI topic and this is the only one that showed.

What i would like to know is, did the VVS get Apaches renamed as Mustangs, or were they 'real' Mustangs?

Asking this, because on the first post here, the aircraft shown as Mustang Mk.I has characteristics of the A-36: guns on the underside of the cowlng and Apache wing.

Also here: http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/165/1/0#1 , while the caption says "Mustang Mk.I" it looks a lot more like an Apache...

I got both the Mustang Mk.I and the A-36 Apache kits from Accurate Miniatures in 1/48 scale, but for the sake of historical correctness, i'd very much like to know just what did the VVS get anyway Huh

Regards,

Panayotis

"We cannot direct the winds, but we can adjust the sails."
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 11:20:51 PM »

Hi Panayotis! As far as I know, the VVS only received one Mustang. It was a British Mustang I provided to Russia for evaluation purposes. The RAF serial was AG348; it was tested by the VVS in its original RAF camouflage but with the roundels overpainted and red stars in their places. It was found to be unsatisfactory and no more of these aircraft were delivered. It was never used in service, so apart from the stars, it never had VVS markings of any kind.

Wikipedia does say this, however:
"The Soviet Union received at least 10 early-model ex-RAF Mustang Is and tested but found them to "under-perform" compared to contemporary USSR fighters, relegating them to training units. Later Lend-Lease deliveries of the P-51B/C and D series along with other Mustangs abandoned in Russia after the famous "shuttle missions" were repaired and used by the Soviet Air Force, but not in front-line service."

So some further research may turn up something, but I'd be very surprised if any photos exist of early Mustangs operated by training units, or of late ones in whatever function.

John
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 01:33:22 AM by John Thompson » Logged
Palanadine

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 02:46:11 PM »

Thank you for the reply John!

Upon a little more research - as something was still nagging at me - i stumbled upon a very simple fact that accounts for my confusion over the matter, obvious in hindsight (of course!  Embarrassed ) :

It turns out, that both the A-36 Apache and the Mustang Mk.I had those chin guns, but different wings (Apache had dive brakes, Mk.I did not).

Confusion also was generated because there were Mk.I and Mk.IA types of Mustang, with different weapon configuration.

Thus the Mustang Mk.I with RAF serial AG348 has the chin mounted guns found also on the Apache....

Now only thing left to be done is to splice the nose from one kit onto the body of the other ...  Grin

Regards,

Panayotis

"We cannot direct the winds, but we can adjust the sails."
KL

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 06:22:51 PM »

According to Kotelnikov in "Amerikantsi v SSSRu", 10 NA-83 Mistangs Mk1 were delivered from Britain between December 1941 and May 1942.
looks that C-F Geust is correct with 4 NA-73 Mustangs delivered in May 1942!!!

Check http://p51h.home.comcast.net/~p51h/time/time.htm

09/19/41
Bob Chilton begins production functional tests on AG348. The last NA-73 produced with the short carburetor intake, AG348 was the fifth NA-73 built and would eventually be sent to the U.S.S.R. Six Mustangs were completed and accepted by the British in September.

May 1942
Four Mustang Mk Is, AG348, AG352, AG353 and AG354 were shipped to the Soviet Union. AG348 was tested at the Soviet Air Force Research Institute.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 06:24:59 PM by KL » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 07:37:29 AM »

Hi Konstantin,
the comparison between the photo of the plane in British markings and the same one in Soviet ones is interesting.
The first photo shows a neat and highly contrasted camo, probably the US interpretation of the British green-brown camo with light undersurfaces.
The Soviet photo seems to show that the plane was repainted: same pattern, but more blurried colors, low contrast... but I'm not sure if with green-brown paints (that would justify the low contrast of the uppersurfaces) or the later grey one.
Contrasting interpretations are shown on the profiles of Red Stars n.1 and n.4 of the same author.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 09:54:46 AM »

The Soviet photo seems to show that the plane was repainted: same pattern, but more blurried colors, low contrast... but I'm not sure if with green-brown paints (that would justify the low contrast of the uppersurfaces) or the later grey one.

Soviets received some of the earliest Mustangs - AG348 was the fourth series plane made.  It had to be the same as the first series plane AG345

AG348 wasn't repainted by the British; it retained oversized roundels on wing undersides.  Soviets only covered British markings - so the plane was brown-green   Smiley

Blured colours could be result of aging  Roll Eyes  AG348 was made in summer 1941 and it was tested in NII VVS in summer 1942!!!
KL
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:58:05 AM by KL » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 09:48:57 PM »

Hi Konstantin,
interesting image indeed, I suppose that the darker color was Olive Drab.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: