Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
La-5 Sharkmouth (not the one in the museum).
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 09:44:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: La-5 Sharkmouth (not the one in the museum).  (Read 8041 times)
Saivila

« on: November 04, 2011, 03:23:21 PM »

La-5 Sharkmouth (not the one in the Museum of Defence of Leningrad 1945).

Who was the pilot of number "04".. and was it the real number?

I have seen one pic from a plane "04" with these teeth and I believe they were painted there when plane was operational?? The following names has been mentioned: V.M. Dimitriev (Svedzda) and Alpatov (LA-Aces by Osprey), and also a third pilot but I can't remember his name.

I made this one as a collague, using profiles in Svezda and Osprey books.

----

The Collection of Relics in South Karelian Aviation Museum contains parts of SB-2: two Klimov engines with twisted props, gunnery, ammo belt, bits and pieces, nuts and bolts; a completely destroyed PE-2; maps with gunholes, personal papers etc. Lots of FAF models and some VVS models and dioramas.

Here's the one of them. Fictive situation. Anyway, all the planes are supposed to have flown the Karelian skies.

La-5 "04" straight from the box. I used the standard scheme. La-5 "40" same with Begemot decals. La-5FN "03" straight from box and decals from spares box. La-5F "17" converted from FN to F, decals from spares box. Background landscape added & edited with Photoshop by PioTer and myself.

Cheers!

Walker

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 04:17:34 PM »

Dmitriev

Kostylev
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 06:21:43 PM by Walker » Logged
Saivila

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 01:13:40 PM »

Actually this Topic is on a wrong section cause i'm not lookin for any colours. Thanks very much anyway for posting these pics.
I got private E mail allso ,and these infos are fom G.F. Geusts "Red Stars " -old print.  Later print that pic and story is removed.

"Capt.Dmitriev.4,Guards IAP.Baltic Fleet,at his LA-5 decorated with shark mouth emblem.
Dmitriev was killed in action during an attac on the Narva bridges in spring 1943."

But is there another picture from this plane somewhwere?
Troy Smith

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 01:15:11 AM »

HI

In the MBI book on the LA-5, in the markings section,  there is some info on these planes.  From memory they were applied post war as special decoration.

Not got the book to hand.

T
learstang

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 06:42:50 PM »

Troy, I have that same book (I'm currently building an La-5, La-5F, and repainting an La-5FN - sodding brown/green camouflage!).  From what I've just now (re-)read, those "sharkmouth" La-5's were war-weary machines, which when removed from active duty were painted with those markings, and were used for proficiency training.  So they were painted in those markings during the GPW, but they weren't strictly operational machines in the sense that they didn't go into combat with those markings.  They were still attached to a frontline unit, however, so I'm thinking about doing my La-5 with those nose markings.  By the way, Saivila, very nice Lavochkins and very well-presented!  I hope mine look half as good!

Regards,

Jason
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 06:44:50 PM by learstang » Logged

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Saivila

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 05:00:09 PM »

Ok ! Thanks for these infos and all that stuff. I'm feeling much better now. Smiley
Saivila

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 05:03:04 PM »

I forget to mention that LA-5 diorama Photographer is Seppo Valjakka. Photos are taken on Immola airfield.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 07:50:16 PM »

Hi all,
are there new informations on this plane with sharkmouth, please? The name of the pilot, the bort number, the unit? I would draw a profile if the informations are sufficient.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: