Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
I-15 Question(s)
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 12:58:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: I-15 Question(s)  (Read 12559 times)
Seawinder

« on: November 13, 2011, 07:26:43 PM »

I'm in the beginning stages of the Special Hobby I-15. I'm sure more questions will arise later on, but for now:

Photos of the I-15 generally show fairings on the doubled landing and flying wires where they are attached to the wings near the inter-wing struts. However, I have not been able to find any photos showing the aft, single flying wire at its outboard connection to determine whether or not it too had an attachment fairing. Does anyone have either photo(s) or knowledge on this subject? My plan is to make the fairing halves from sheet styrene, file grooves for the wires, and sandwich them around the rigging.

TIA.
Pip Moss
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 01:49:56 AM »

This might help, although it's the manual (in two parts) for the I-15bis; couldn't find one for the I-15:
http://mikro-mir.at.ua/load/aviacija/i_15/4-1-0-41

Walkaround of I-15bis:
http://svsm.org/gallery/i-152

You might find something here, although again, it's titled I-15bis, not I-15!
http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_7813.html

I-15bis again, but this photo does show a fairing in the location you're asking about, or have I misunderstood:

Sorry - maybe someone else will come up with an image specifically of this detail on the I-15? If I find anything, I'll post it.

John
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 02:11:50 AM by John Thompson » Logged
Seawinder

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 02:36:41 AM »

Hi John.
That last picture is exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks!

Pip
Seawinder

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 05:24:26 AM »

I've got the Special Hobby I-15 painted and mostly decaled (there aren't many). I'm doing a plane identified only as "I-15 of the Red Army Air Force, 1936," with red 3 outlined in white on the rudder.

First question: Am I correct in thinking the dark green Zashchitnyi and light blue-grey paints should be glossy?

Second question: The instructions call for red stars on the two upper wing top surfaces. Can this be correct? Of the four markings options in the kit, two are shown with the upper wing stars, two without.

Thanks!
Pip Moss
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 09:43:47 AM »

Hi Pip,
this is the only photo of I-15 operative with VVS that I've found. Other photos are all related to prototypes, aerobatic planes or Spanish planes.

As you see, it's the very same plane of the instructions sheet, and I would say that it's gloss. For what I wknow, matt paints were introduced in 1941, even if the look of the surface is influenced by its age.
About the stars over the wings, I don't see them in the photo, but I am nearly sure that they were there because it was a pre-war standard.
Regards
Massimo
Seawinder

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 01:41:50 PM »

Hi Pip,
As you see, it's the very same plane of the instructions sheet, and I would say that it's gloss. For what I wknow, matt paints were introduced in 1941, even if the look of the surface is influenced by its age.
About the stars over the wings, I don't see them in the photo, but I am nearly sure that they were there because it was a pre-war standard.
Regards
Massimo

Hi Massimo. Thanks for the reply. I had found that picture on the Evolution of Camouflage page and figured the same. I also read the translated article about markings that John posted and came to the same conclusion that the stars were likely present. In any case, I'm going to do my model that way because it's more visually interesting, if only as a generic example.

Pip
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 07:10:09 PM »

I was surprised to hear that I-15 photos are so scarce; I took a look through my I-15/I-15bis file, and sure enough, I found nothing!  Sad For what it's worth, "Barbarossa" I-15bis photos suggest that the paint was glossy when new, but weathered to a flat or satin finish fairly quickly.

John
Seawinder

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 07:34:25 PM »

I was surprised to hear that I-15 photos are so scarce; I took a look through my I-15/I-15bis file, and sure enough, I found nothing!  Sad For what it's worth, "Barbarossa" I-15bis photos suggest that the paint was glossy when new, but weathered to a flat or satin finish fairly quickly.

John

Hi John.
I'm thinking that different paint, namely AII, would have been used on the I-15bis than was used on the mid-30s I-15.

Pip
Seawinder

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 07:42:59 PM »

According to Wikipedia, the I-15 was found with either 4 X 7.62 mm PV-1 machine guns or 2 X 12.7 mm BS machine guns. Does anyone know which arrangement was more likely in 1936?

Pip
KL

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 07:57:21 PM »

According to Wikipedia, the I-15 was found with either 4 X 7.62 mm PV-1 machine guns or 2 X 12.7 mm BS machine guns. Does anyone know which arrangement was more likely in 1936?

Berezin machine gun did not exist in 1936...  Huh

Check Wikipedia for BS machine guns  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berezin_UB

BTW, your choice of VVS markings is somewhat strange; I-15 became famous in Spain.
only about 380 I-15s were made in 1934 and 1935.  Plane was unpopular/unwanted by VVS and production stopped, with only 2 planes made in 1936.  Eventually 186 I-15s were received by the Republicans, together with the manufacturing licence.

Hth,
KL
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 08:07:10 PM by KL » Logged
Seawinder

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 08:39:38 PM »

Berezin machine gun did not exist in 1936...  Huh

What I'm really wondering is whether most I-15s had four blast tubes (two under the upper wing; two mid-fuselage) or two (just the mid-fuselage pair). It's very hard to tell from photographs.

BTW, your choice of VVS markings is somewhat strange; I-15 became famous in Spain.
only about 380 I-15s were made in 1934 and 1935.  Plane was unpopular/unwanted by VVS and production stopped, with only 2 planes made in 1936.  Eventually 186 I-15s were received by the Republicans, together with the manufacturing licence.

With all due respect, why should a plane's small production total or unpopularity be a reason not to model it? I happen to like the look of the Russian stars, and those are the markings that came with the kit I was able to obtain. In addition, most of the I-15 builds I see are in SCW markings; I wanted to do something different.

Pip
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 08:59:07 PM »

Hi Pip,
for what I understand on Red Stars vol.6 of Gordon, the early planes should have four PV-1- It seems that the lower pair passed through the cylinders without an external evidence, while the upper ones have visible tubes behind the cowling and a pair of holes in the front of the cowling.  It's not fully clear.
Have you found some images?
Regards
Massimo
Seawinder

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 09:19:58 PM »

Hi Pip,
for what I understand on Red Stars vol.6 of Gordon, the early planes should have four PV-1- It seems that the lower pair passed through the cylinders without an external evidence, while the upper ones have visible tubes behind the cowling and a pair of holes in the front of the cowling.  It's not fully clear.
Have you found some images?
Regards
Massimo

Hi Massimo.
From what I can see, there are bulges in the fuselage cowing where the lower tubes pass and then emerge among the engine cylinders. Both the Special Hobby and Rest Models kits have these. I'll also go ahead and install the tubes on top.

Thanks!
Pip
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 10:34:25 PM »

Hi Pip,
something can be seen here http://crimso.msk.ru/Site/Crafts/Craft19933.htm
Regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 12:59:30 PM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
Seawinder

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 11:21:59 PM »