Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Gremlin 1/48 Lavochkin LA-5 - any good
Sovietwarplanes
April 18, 2024, 08:18:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gremlin 1/48 Lavochkin LA-5 - any good  (Read 5947 times)
krofire

« on: June 26, 2006, 04:30:48 PM »

I just picked up the Resin Gremlin 1/48 Lavochkin LA-5 off EBay. More out of curiosity than anything else. I had previously planned to put together a 1/48th scale La-5 from a mix of the Hobbycraft and Ltd Kits (for the wings). Maybe the Gremlin Kit is better?

Any opinions? Have I bought a dud (a turkey)? Will it be better than the planned hybrid?

Undecided

Mark Brown
High Wycombe,
Buckinghamshire,
United Kingdom
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 07:43:54 AM »

Hi Krofire, Smiley
I think that the Gremlin kit should be fair. I've reviewed one on the base of documents from the manufacturer. He hoped to reissue it a pair of years ago, but it seems that he has renounced.
Please have a look at my La-5 page.
I'm interested on your impressions on the model.
Massimo
Michael_XIII

Bad Russian Boy

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 10:58:41 AM »

At first look the Gremlin La-5 looks has at least one big trouble - in front part engine cowling.

Better choice - is Vector, http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/la5/vector/vector.htm

but if it is not accessible, try ti kit-bash Gremlin with Hobbycraft engine part. Ерштлштп that another possible problems can be found, but I have not Gremlin for comparing.
krofire

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 09:15:29 PM »

Thanks again to Massimo - I forgot about the review of the Gremlin Kit on your La-5 page. I read it some time ago. I will have another review of this article and look at the kit when it arrives. Cheers.

Mark Brown
High Wycombe,
Buckinghamshire,
United Kingdom
krofire

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 03:55:39 PM »

I received the kit in good condition the other day. No complaints but it is a little daunting a task. The texture of the resin is quite rough and there are several nasty bubbles. But nothing I cannot fix and, to be fair, Zed does mention this in the Instructions.

The Assembly drawing is next to useless but there are very few parts. Broadly I think I agree with the comments made elsewhere (mentioned above). I think I will try to acquire the Legend resin cockpit that was designed for the Hobbycraft or Academy La-5/7 (??) as they also occasionaly appear on good-old EBay. I think I should just stock up on the various kits out there so I have a healthy set of spare parts before tackling the Gremlin itself.

However, I see no reason why it should shape up to a presentable model in the end. I will let you know how it turns out. My model bench is currently packed up with the space converted into a Nursery - such is life. We will be moving house (hopefully). When the dust settles on all these life-changing events I will put it top of the to-do list for you folks.

Mark Brown
High Wycombe,
Buckinghamshire,
United Kingdom
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 07:18:58 PM »

Hi Mark, Smiley
my main worries about the model is that the junction between the fuselage halves divide the circular intake of engine cowling; any eventual geometrical imperfection in this junction will result as very visible.
My compliments for your little child.
Please keep us informed on this model.
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: