Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Thinning AKAN paints
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 11:38:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinning AKAN paints  (Read 6205 times)
Chuck1945

« on: November 14, 2011, 04:42:48 PM »

One advantage of the simplicity of the Hobby Boss MiG-3 kit is being able to get to the painting stage much quicker Smiley

My question regards thinning for airbrush use of the AKAN acrylic paints. I have been using Tamiya's X-20A thinner with Gunze and Tamiya paints, but before I I try it with AKAN, thought I would ask here.
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 05:57:16 PM »

This might help, if only a little:
http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=832.0

I'd suggest trying a small sample using the Tamiya thinner, and then posting a comment regarding your results. Please post some images of your MiG-3 when you get it done, too!

John
Chuck1945

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 08:21:29 PM »

I looked at your linked postings - since Tamiya X-20A is mostly iso alchohol, it will probably work although I will experiment first.

I did brush some blue just to see how it applied and looked. It dried to a semi gloss, but much darker than I expected, almost like a RAF Mediterranian Blue. Not sure if mixing a white or very light gray from another line would work, so will wait until I can get some AKAN white. Besides the discussion elsewhere here indicates the AKAN AMT-11 and 12 would probably also benefit from some lightening, especially for 1/72.
xan

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 12:29:21 AM »

I use the Akan paints with alcohol and it works perfectly.
for the AMT-7, I mix it with white and llight grey
2/3 akan AMT-7 blue and 1/3 white with a drop of grey

Xan

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: