Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Li-2 page
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 12:15:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Li-2 page  (Read 31370 times)
KL

« on: December 19, 2011, 10:11:03 PM »

Massimo,
an addition for your Li-2 camouflage evolution page

This plane shows a more complex three-shades camo; here, the demarcation lines are strongly oblique and more suitable to break well the shape of the plane.
Strangely, no any red star is visible on the rudder.

The photo was taken before 1943 and 3-colour camouflage scheme - at http://crimso.msk.ru/Site/Arts/Art3838.htm the photo is dated in 1942

the plane was camouflaged in green-black, similar to

Photo you used is retouched, it was probably prepared for press:  contrast was increased, some edges were filled-in etc.  Windows are clearly erased.

following photo is a poor copy, probably photo of an photo, but it isn't retouched:

regards,
KL
barneybolac

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 04:30:30 AM »

Great link.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 12:51:32 PM »

Hi Konstantin,
thank you, this explanation is likely. I'm updating the page on Li-2 utilizing many photos, from red Stars n.4 in particular.
I've seen that there is a new book of Gordon on the Li-2, I wonder if there is something more on this type that was not included in present publications.
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 07:48:28 PM »

Hi,
I've updated my Li-2 page.
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/li-2/li-2.htm
I was able to detect two black-green templates, but those utilized after 1943 are still in vague.
Here is one

Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 06:46:03 PM »

Very nice, Massimo!  I'm going to redo an old Li-2 model I had originally done in a white winter finish some years ago.  I want to redo it as a night-bomber, with four machine guns, and four bombs under the wing centre-section.  Whichever scheme I do, I do want to do it with the Noch undersides.  Merry Christmas!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 08:20:43 PM »

Hi Jason,
this sounds interesting. How was the model built?
Merry Christmas
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 08:45:46 PM »

Massimo, I just modified an Italeri C-47.  I used some new engines and cowlings from Engines and Things, modified the landing gear a little, made the wingtips a little shorter, redid the cargo door on the port side, and added a dorsal turret.  Looking at your photographs, it looks like my turret resembles the UTK-1 turret, and it does have a UBT machine gun, donated from a Toko IL-2 kit.  To redo it as a night bomber, I'm going to add some ShKAS machine guns to the nose and side positions (extras from the Zvezda Pe-8 kit), and add bomb racks from some Evergreen square plastic rods.  The four FAB-250's are donated from my extensive collection of IL-2's.  In addition, I'm going to add the engine fronts from a couple of I-16's and add small spinners to the propeller hubs.  I have all the parts to redo it, I just need to decide on a scheme.  As I said, I want it with the Noch undersides.  I had intended to do it in the three-colour scheme, but if I can find an appropriate black/green scheme, or even better, a partially winter-camouflaged scheme I would consider those.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 08:43:37 AM »

Hi Jason,
I'll try to  obtain some three-shede schemes on next days. I'm full of doubts on them, but I'll make a try anyway.
There are a lot of photos showing something that resembles much to a modified black-green camo, but lighter and with late style stars.
as this

or this

The light shade has more or less the same positions on green on the old camouflage. I wonder if it's a very faded green on a very faded black, or if the colors are still fresh and they replaced green with brown and the dark areas are green and/or dark grey. This would led to a camouflage with a predominance of light brown over all other colors.
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 08:44:52 PM »

Hi,
I've updated the page again. I've added some more photos and two color drawings with two attempts to reconstruct likely 3-shades camos.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 01:21:54 AM »

Those three-colour schemes look great on the Li-2, Massimo!  I realise they're just reconstructions, but I think they look plausible and I might use one of them on my Li-2 (whenever I get around to redoing it).  At any rate I've downloaded some of the photographs and drawings on that page to help me when I redo my model.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 09:35:33 AM »

Thank you Jason. Would you take some photos and notes on your Li-2 as it is now, please? It would be useful to add a small page on how to convert a model.
Where did you find the turret? I would be surprised to know that the model of Il-2 included it. For what I know, the only possible donors kits are the Su-2 and the Il-4.
Regards
Massimo
TISO

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 08:55:12 PM »

Perhaps interesting find on this page:
http://www.luftwaffe.be/photographs/aircraft/sovjet_planes.html

Among multitude of jak's, MiG's, Polikarpovs etc was this titled as 121_sp_kerch_wl258
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 09:05:02 PM by TISO » Logged

Disciple of Error
learstang

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 09:19:49 PM »

Thank you Jason. Would you take some photos and notes on your Li-2 as it is now, please? It would be useful to add a small page on how to convert a model.
Where did you find the turret? I would be surprised to know that the model of Il-2 included it. For what I know, the only possible donors kits are the Su-2 and the Il-4.
Regards
Massimo

Oops, sorry to take so long to get back to you Massimo.  I must not have the new post notification for this thread.  For the turret, I can't remember anymore where I got it from, although it looks something like a B-17 top turret (from a B-17E, not a B-17G).  I actually have the Il-4 and Su-2, but those are the smaller UTK-1's, I think, and I wanted the larger turret (MV-3?) to house the UBT gun.  The UBT is what I "borrowed" from the IL-2 kit.  I'll get something together on what I have now with my Li-2, warts and all.  I'll certainly take pictures when I "re-convert" it into the night-bomber version.

TISO, interesting picture of the Li-2.  You can see where the dorsal turret was.  It appears to have the white splotches only on the fuselage, and not the wings.  The splotches appear to be over a black/green camouflage.  Would you give a shot at reconstructing the scheme, Massimo?

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »

Hi Tiso,
thank you, I hadn't this beautiful image, I'll add it to the page by sure.

Hi Jason,
a turret of B-17E? It would be difficult to find one without wasting a lot of money, I fear.
The base camo looks the four-bands one, with white put in prevalence (but not only) on green parts. It's strange, it's not visible on the outer part of wings.
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 09:36:41 AM »

I've put the image.
Now that I see, there are some errors on the glazing of my color views: the photos show that a pair of small windows were present only on late Li-2, and usually in symmetric position. I'll correct this on next days.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: