Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Italeri IL-2 camo questions
Sovietwarplanes
April 20, 2024, 02:13:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Italeri IL-2 camo questions  (Read 7552 times)
Tyronesdaddy

« on: December 28, 2011, 01:26:17 AM »

Comrades,
My next Soviet GPW project will be the Italeri/AM 1/48 IL-2 (w/ swept arrow wings).  I am considering finishing it in the markings on the example on the box top, however, I cannot find any photos of it.  Does anyone out there have any pics or a link to the IL-2 shown below?  Also, since this is the late war version of the IL-2 it would have had one of the 3 colour NKAP schemes and not the one shown on the box top, correct?

learstang

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 02:23:19 AM »

Dobro, tovarich!  Welcome to the forum, Tyronesdaddy!  I am the resident (semi) authority on the Shturmovik, so I may be able to help you.  You are correct that this should be in one of the NKAP three-colour schemes (as far as I know, all arrows used the three-colour scheme).  I'll see if I don't have photographs or other references for this particular aeroplane.  I've never noticed this before, but on the box it looks like the straight-winger (I have the original Accurate Miniatures arrow - very nice kit, but it will look better with a Vector replacement spinner - the kit spinner is much too round).  That colour scheme on the box was never used; it looks like a version of the old and very spurious brown/green scheme, although if they added some dark grey to it, it would be a good approximation of the three-colour scheme, at least colour-wise.  Something else, I'm skeptical about the use of yellow on Soviet aircraft.  Since this was the Axis identification colour, yellow was probably not used that often, and almost certainly never for a yellow band.  It was used for the spinners late in the war, to help with flight identification, but why splash so much red on this plane (stars on the landing gear nacelles, red spinner) then put a yellow band on it?

Best Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Saivila

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 05:44:55 PM »

Plane on the box top is fictive. Bad sheet anyway.Polish one could be right?  "Authentic decals" got very good sheet with quite accurate markings ,but don't trust their colour quide. Some shemes are right some are wrong. Ask  Modelhobbies or Hannants for example.
Regards Saivila
mholly

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 03:36:15 PM »

"Authentic decals" got very good sheet with quite accurate markings ,but don't trust their colour quide. Some shemes are right some are wrong.
Got those decals in 1/72, could you please advise exactly which schemes are "wrong", why and what they should be?
Thanks,
Mario
in NYC
Troy Smith

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 07:52:17 AM »

HI

you can see the Authentic Decals sheet here, http://armory.in.ua/product_info.php?currency=USD&cPath=39_939_307_900&products_id=22509

or here. http://www.olimpmodelsgroup.com/catalog_AD.html

There are a lot of schemes on the sheet!    Fortunately as well photos of many of the aircraft featured are reasonably well published.

HTH
T
Tyronesdaddy

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 10:09:01 PM »

Thanks to everyone who replied.  The kit decals have a very flat finish.  I think they might be trouble.  I have the Authentic Decals sheet in 1/48 scale and would be very interested to know of any inaccuracies. 
learstang

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 11:03:44 PM »

Tyronesdaddy, I don't know of any inaccuracies right off hand.  However, I do have some advice for the Authentic Decals.  I have used the 1/72nd scale set, and although the register is good, the decals are rather fragile.  I had one break up on me whilst using a setting solvent.  I would spray some kind of clear gloss over them to strengthen them (I used Testors Metalizer sealant, but of course use whatever you're comfortable with).  I did this, then I was able to use them without a problem.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Tyronesdaddy

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 11:22:14 PM »

Learstang,
Thanks for the info on the decals.  Luckily I have some Microscale Superfilm( I think that's what it's called) for that.

mholly

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 09:21:32 AM »

Learstang,
Thanks for the info on the decals.  Luckily I have some Microscale Superfilm( I think that's what it's called) for that.

I had the same problem as Jason describes, complete break-up after soaking in water however. Microscale stuff is way to go but I
strongly recommend to spray it on instead of brushing as it will damage the decal (my experience).
Cheers,
Mario
Saivila

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 10:40:12 PM »

Sorry i'm badly late wit my answers"what is wrong" on Authentic Decals sheet and what is not.

My opinion is.
IL-2 "100 "straight wing V.B Emelyaneko shoud be Green /Black.Not on 3 tone. P.Aleksuhins "Suvorov" same.

You can find a better candidades from Massimos IL-2 Early profiles. (Better check later your three tones from same pages too.)
Number 66 ,-number 5 on sheet - is perhaps on three tone camo but non standard style pattern.

Number "24 ""Rodinu with arrow" Crimea May 44 , is Green/Black with some light overpaintings. Not on standard pattern at all.
When aircraft is painted three tone camo ,The AMT 12 band is missing on every profiles fuselage.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: