Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Yak-7 434 IAP, white "65"
Sovietwarplanes
April 29, 2024, 12:57:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Yak-7 434 IAP, white "65"  (Read 16833 times)
warhawk

« on: December 29, 2011, 03:24:05 PM »

I have some questions on this particular Yak-7 (source: E. Pilawski's SAFFC book).

First, the nose: early or late Yak? I am referring to type of exhaust and weapon bulges.

Second, do any other photos of this machine exist? I am interested in doing a weathered bird, possibly at the end of winter... I think I see a huge chunk of chipped paint at the lower right corner of the photo...
ALso, any info on the pilot?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 09:04:29 AM by warhawk » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 05:27:50 PM »

Hi,
there are not further photos of this plane at this page http://airfield.narod.ru/yak/yak-7/yak-7_color2.html
so I think that this is really the only one.
Regards
Massimo
warhawk

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 07:14:49 PM »

Very interesting profile, it has both the early exhaust and late bulges... A field modification maybe?
To bad we can't see whether it had the slogan on the other side...

« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 07:21:44 PM by warhawk » Logged
learstang

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 07:48:09 PM »

Warhawk, my guess would be that it had the slogan on the port side also.  Normally if the slogan were on one side only, it would be on the port side, where the pilot normally mounted the aeroplane.  If it had it on the starboard side, there's a good bet it had it on the port side also.  Nice-looking scheme - I have to keep myself from doing all my VVS models in winter-camouflage.  Which kit are you going to use?

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
learstang

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 07:50:24 PM »

Now that I look at it again - Massimo, do you that think the red star might be black-bordered?

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
warhawk

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 08:29:45 PM »

Normally if the slogan were on one side only, it would be on the port side, where the pilot normally mounted the aeroplane.

Also, the slogan looks sprayed-on with a stencil. Now, picture yourself as a communist during the most decisive battle of the war:
Would you resist the urge to spray that glorious bright red slogan on the other side? Didn't think so...  Wink

Which kit are you going to use?

I already have a finished model by Modelist, which was perhaps over-weathered...
I have scratchbuilt wheel wells and some other stuff in the cockpit.
The main problem is it got touched with dirty hands too many times, so I have to strip the paint and redo the process from last three pics...

regards,
Aleksandar
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 11:58:54 AM by warhawk » Logged
learstang

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 12:54:02 AM »

Aleksandar, something happened to your picture links.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
warhawk

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 12:00:24 PM »

Fixed.

Interesting, I have also made a "mixed" early-late type just by accident  Grin
Let's call it a "mid production" plane
KL

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 12:57:22 AM »

Hi Warhawk,  Smiley

You chose an obscure plane:  one known photo, no references of a pilot...
434th iap is somewhat questionable - it was a well known unit, famous commander (Kleshchov), many aces.  In November 1942, 434 iap was renamed 32 giap commanded by Vasilii Stalin!

It looks that "Politodelets" was related to Yak-1 "Zhirnovskii Kolhoznik" flown by P. Karavai, 897 iap.

Для оформления заказа на постройку боевых самолётов по предложению Жерновского райкома ВКП(б) была избрана специальная комиссия, которая должна была поехать на Саратовский авиационный завод. В комиссию были избраны: секретарь РК ВКП(б) Иван Герасимович Афанасьев, председатель колхоза "День урожая" Иван Алексеевич Бурлаков, колхозник колхоза "Политотделец" Илья Никифорович Чернышов и другие.

Yak-7 "Politotdelets" was bought with funds collected by kolhoz (collective farm) "Politodelets", Zhernovsk region, Saratov district.  It was not donated by a communist comissar...

warhawk

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 10:11:44 AM »

Thanks for the info!
KL

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 07:50:34 PM »

One photo, but a popular modeling subject:

learstang

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 08:43:46 PM »

Konstantin, is that Modelist Yak-7 from the Dakoplast mould?

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
warhawk

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 08:54:13 PM »

Yep, I have the box from the last pic.
KL

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 06:53:40 PM »

Wrong kolhoz in my previous post!!!  Shocked (if it relly matters to anybody  Roll Eyes )

During the GPW citizens of Saratov region donated over 1,500 planes to VVS.  Those planes were purchased in Factory 292 (Saratov), which made Yak-1s and later Yak-3s, not Yak-7s.
Yak-7were made at Factory 153 (Novosibirsk). There was a "Politotdelets" kolhoz in Novosibirsk region too... What a coincidence...  Huh

more relevant info from Novosibirsk regional archive at:
http://www.sibarchives.ru/gallery/index.php?PAGE_NAME=section&SECTION_ID=57&PAGEN_1=3

two photos related to Politodelets kolhoz

John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 11:19:28 PM »

Konstantin, is that Modelist Yak-7 from the Dakoplast mould?

Regards,

Jason

If you're looking for a 1/72 Yak-7, you should also consider the Valom series of Yak-7's, which were, let's say, "inspired by" the Dakoplast/Modelist kit, with improvements. Each of the different Valom ones includes the same basic Valom (not Dakoplast) kit with decals and in some cases resin parts customized for the specific boxing (Yak-7A, -7B, -7B (late version), -7V, -7PVRD; maybe a UTI, too). The Yak-7b (late version) (72040) has an additional fuselage for the bubble-canopy late Yak-7, although all it lacks to build it as any of the earlier types is the early canopy. In other words, if you can find any of them for a good price, buy it. The Valom kits were expensive when they first came out, but could sometimes be found being sold off at reduced prices. I don't think the kits sold well; when I asked Vaclav Lomitzki (Mr Valom) about the possibility he might release a Yak-1b, he said "No!"; I got the impression he would never do another Yak again, sad to say...

I hope the above is clear enough, but let me know if you want more specific details.

John
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: