Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Borovkov Flockin' Florov...
Sovietwarplanes
March 19, 2024, 03:56:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Borovkov Flockin' Florov...  (Read 14768 times)
Kukuruznik

« on: January 05, 2012, 09:33:39 PM »

Gents,

I'm currently trying to beat the Omega Models 1/48 Borovkov-Florov I-207/4 into submission. Not an altogether pleasant experiance, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. My main issue right now is the total lack of detail in wheel wells as whell as the just plain weird construction of the retractable undercarriage. Does anyone have any pics of what the undercarriage looked like on this one, or will thsi have to be a pure gizmology excercise? Grateful for any advice!

Peter
Walker

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 09:28:42 AM »

Kukuruznik

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 07:48:49 PM »

Wow! A huge thank you, Walker! Would it be rude to ask if you have any pics och the exhaust tubes in the cowling? It looks like there are some cooling flaps installed at the back of the cowling, a bit like the ones on a Corsair or Thunderbolt, together with the 3+2 exhaust tubes, but my avaliable pictures are hard to make out. The model itself has almost no detail whatsoever here.

Regards,
Peter

Walker

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 11:35:52 PM »

Unfortunately these pictures I have not.

http://lib.rus.ec/b/319003/read

From the technical description of the engine hood, I found only this:

literally:
Hood of the engine on a machine with geared motor - NACA type with a narrow slit.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 11:52:49 PM by Walker » Logged
learstang

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 05:18:59 AM »

Nice drawings, Musa, thank you for sharing!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 03:29:58 PM »

Hi Musa! Thank you for posting those drawings. I have the Amodel 1/72 I-207/3; I converted it to the I-207/2 with non-retractable landing gear, which solved any problem of wheel well detailing! Wink The reference I was using was M-Hobby magazine 2/2003, but the drawings from your source are much more detailed. Thanks again!

Peter - I don't see any better photos in my copy of M-Hobby than what Musa (Walker) has already posted, but if you want to try downloading this magazine from the Internet, here's a search page full of possible sources:
http://www.google.ca/search?q=%22%D0%9C-%D0%A5%D0%BE%D0%B1%D0%B1%D0%B8%22+2+%2F+2003&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&rlz=1I7GGLL_en&redir_esc=&ei=WqUJT5LfB6Px0gGtstymAg

John
Walker

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 06:43:10 PM »

Hi John,
I had completely forgotten about this magazine. Sclerosis ...  Grin

John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 06:50:33 PM »

Well done, Musa! That makes it a lot easier for Peter, and also for anyone who is curious about the history of the I-207 development. I like the I-207/1 and /2 because they look so much like racing aircraft (and also because they're biplanes with no rigging wires! Wink ).

John
learstang

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 06:54:45 PM »

They are sharp-looking little machines.  I actually tried to scratchbuild the I-207/4 in 1/72nd scale once upon a time.  I haven't given up on it, and as a matter of fact I can see it, without its upper wing, from where I'm typing.  These drawings will come in handy if I ever get up the courage to try and finish it.  Большое спасибо, Муса!

Regards,

Jason
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 07:00:15 PM by learstang » Logged

- Warren William Zevon
Kukuruznik

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 08:46:17 PM »

Again, a huge thank you, Musa! Of course, those drawings of the cockpit now leave me with absolutely no excuse for the current travesty... Knowledge hurts, as a wise man once said...

Peter
Kukuruznik

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 11:22:26 AM »

This is where the little guy was a few weeks ago. Truly a multimedia effort: metal tubing for blast tubes, cockpit using PE and some resin aprts from the kit, together with scratch items from styrene, green stuff and scrap pe. Air intake built using lead foil from a decent single malt bottle (oh, the sacrifces we make). Huge amounts of filler to get the cowling into a reasonable shape (it was actually smaller i diameter than the rest of the fuselage from the beginning). Since the photos were taken, there has been lots of puttying and sanding. And sanding and puttying. I think I am now up to my fifth iteration on the cowling, and getting there. You gotta love the lines of this guy... Next step - scribing panel lines and possible adding rib detail on elevators, rudder and ailerons...

DSC_0150 by kukuruznik, on Flickr

DSC_0147 by kukuruznik, on Flickr
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 04:59:15 PM »

Wow - "beat into submission" sums this project up pretty well! Looks like you're making headway, though - keep going! When it's done, you'll have something really unique. That lead foil scoop detail worked quite well (and I'm sure the single malt went down quite well too! Wink )

John
learstang

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 05:41:06 PM »

Looking good!  I once used the foil from the top of a Wild Turkey bottle to make the cowling panels for a super-detailed Spitfire VB I was doing in 1/72nd scale.  Unfortunately the bottle was still full so I was forced to drink it.  Indeed the sacrifices we make for modelling.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 01:59:26 AM »

But wait! Those of us with less expensive taste can also enjoy drunken modelbuilding - I seem to remember reading something on Scalemodels.ru about making scoops out of heat-softened aluminum from empty beer cans...  Grin

(In fact, now that I think of it, there's a pretty good thread on Britmodeller about detailing a Frog 1/72 Hawker Typhoon that includes a bit of a how-to on this method.)

John
learstang

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 02:44:30 AM »

Whoa, John!  Beer-drinking in Canadia?!  That's as hard to believe as beer-drinking in Texas!  I do notice on the Britmodeller site they usually talk about using their soda cans - yeah, soda, riiiiiggghhhttt.  Guinness Stout "soda", more like it.

Regards,

Jason
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 02:46:09 AM by learstang » Logged

- Warren William Zevon
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: