Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Yak-9 "southfront" cammo?
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 09:48:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Yak-9 "southfront" cammo?  (Read 30105 times)
KL

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 08:45:02 PM »

The most famous Bulgarian Yak-9M, photographed in Italy in August 1946

same Yak in British markings:

from http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=86095

The plane was clearly in standard 1943 gray-gray camouflage scheme.  Plane from the begining of the tread could have been repainted in Bulgaria in late 1940es Huh
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 11:16:23 PM »

The most famous Bulgarian Yak-9M, photographed in Italy in August 1946

same Yak in British markings:

from http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=86095

The plane was clearly in standard 1943 gray-gray camouflage scheme.  Plane from the begining of the tread could have been repainted in Bulgaria in late 1940es Huh

Some on this forum may have noticed several threads elsewhere which are making suggestions to Airfix for new model kits. Part of the argument in favour of any particular subject is that Airfix's existing kit of that aircraft is very old and inaccurate (such as their Yak-9); another part is that some connection with the RAF is important. I've been doing my best to try to get a new 1/72 Yak-9 added to the Airfix future release list by posting links on the subject of this very same Yak-9, flown by RAF Wing Commander James A. Storrar. I hope someone listens!  Cheesy

John
KL

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 10:06:19 PM »

none is thinking to Lybian desert...

EP's "South Front scheme" is RAF Desert scheme.  Compare his book

and his inspiration:
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 08:31:20 AM »

None of us, I meant. At least, I suppose so. I wonder if/where he found that 'sure information' about what was done in Novosibirsk.
To tell the truth, I've seen a wreck of Il-2 with similar colors, but I suppose they were primers.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 06:53:28 PM »

Now when we know timeframe (late forties, after 1948), we may guess colours... Grin

My suggestion:

These two colours would provide plenty of contrast for those who like b/w photo interpretation.  Case closed!

Cheers,
KL

PS:  Bulgrian Yaks are an obscure subject - hardly any info at the web and what is available is mostly missinformation.  Angry

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 08:43:18 PM »

I would agree for AMT-16, while the dark color could be both dark green or the original dark grey AMT-12. Just because, in one of the photos the light color looks painted after the darker one.
Regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2012, 11:33:24 PM »

PS:  Bulgrian Yaks are an obscure subject - hardly any info at the web and what is available is mostly missinformation.  Angry

Interesting photos; thanks, KL! I assume you've done the same thing I did (used your search engine looking for Bulgarian Yak-9's) - one thing I found which was somewhat interesting was the web site for the Bulgarian National Museum of Military History, in the village of Crumovo. According to their home page (link below), their collection includes a Yak-9, although the subtype isn't mentioned. I suspect it's a postwar Yak-9P, but their site doesn't seem to have any images of this particular aircraft.
http://www.militarymuseum.bg/eng/Filiali/MA.html

John
KL

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 02:03:38 AM »

...somewhat interesting was the web site for the Bulgarian National Museum of Military History, in the village of Crumovo. According to their home page (link below), their collection includes a Yak-9, although the subtype isn't mentioned. I suspect it's a postwar Yak-9P, but their site doesn't seem to have any images of this particular aircraft.

Yes, it's Yak-9P - for long time it was in poor condition and it was painted in fictional green-brown scheme (Airfix influence  Wink ) .  Few years ago it was repainted in more realistic gray-gray scheme.

http://www.airgroup2000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5887349

Monino Yak-9 is also Bulgarian Yak-9P (a "gift" from technical museum in Sofia).  It's usually misidentified as Yak-9U.

KL
learstang

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 02:55:20 AM »

That IL-2 in the background, which was in bad shape (as here), was fully-restored in the last few years (I believe in 2009) and is now in very nice shape.  I hope they keep it in good shape as it looked like it was headed for the scrap heap (or my backyard if I could scrape the money together!).

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
KL

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 09:19:47 AM »

Krumovo-Plovdiv Yak-9P before restauration

and after

Walker

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »

A wonderful restoration!
Walker

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 10:23:24 AM »

The author obviously delirious.
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2012, 04:58:48 PM »

The author obviously delirious.

LOL... Cheesy

Thanks for the photos, KL. Looks like an excellent restoration. I wonder what they used as a basis for the colours.

John
learstang

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2012, 05:55:58 PM »

That's a great before and after, Konstantin!  The IL-2 was in a similar state of dilapidation.  I may post the before and after photographs of that in another thread.  It's always nice to see historic aeroplanes restored.  And Musa, nobody's exactly sure where Mr. Pilawskii got his information.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Walker

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2012, 10:23:17 PM »

This Mr. Pilavski? Then everything is clear ...
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: