Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Pavla resin parts usable on Yak-6
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 07:31:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Pavla resin parts usable on Yak-6  (Read 19091 times)
TISO

« on: January 23, 2012, 03:00:20 PM »

I was compiling a list of resin parts that could be used to upgrade A-model Yak-6M or convert it to Yak-6.
OK from what i so far determined Pavla does produce a number of parts and sets intended for Polikarpov U-2 and/or their model of Yak UT-1/1b (kit No.72034) that could be used on A-model Yak-6. In hope that the guys from Pavla monitor this forum or they will be notified by our members (hint, hint) and will act on it and produce comprehensive set for this model i'm posting the list here.

Pavla resin parts usable for Yak-6 upgrade/conversion:
Engine cover  - Yak-UT-1 part  No.R3 (directly) or from set U72-30 (with modified face) x2  - if anyone has instructions for UT-1/1b and No. of this part please post it here (i lost my instructions after i finished mine)
Engines ? E72-04 Engine Shvetsov M-11 for Po-2 or from set U72-30 or from UT-1/1b kit x2
Propellers  ?  from set U72-30 x2
Wheels  - from set U72-30 ? (i havent checked the dimensions yet)
Machine gun ? ShKAS  from set U72-30
Bombs and bomb carriers for NBB - from set U72-30

For comprehensive set some additional parts would be needed:
Wheel well insert for fixed U/C
entry door on left side of fuselage
roof dooers for gunner
Vac-formed canopy
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:54:09 PM by TISO » Logged

Disciple of Error
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 04:03:37 PM »

Hi Tiso,
I've written already to them on this argument, without any result or answer.
To tell the truth, I don't see much interest to build the Amodel Yak-6M, that was a prototype only, I'm thinking to a kitbashing.
Regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 04:22:44 PM »

I find it interesting that Amodel, God bless them for all the VVS types they've kitted over the years, would release a kit of a one-off transport prototype instead of the production version (unless I'm misunderstanding), while ignoring such aircraft as the Yak-1b and Yak-9 (the mid-war M-105 versions), or not retool their old I-16 and I-153 kits. It's hard to believe that anyone is saying, "At last - the kit I've wanted for years - the Yak-6M!". But hey - what do I know?  Huh

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 05:54:18 PM »

Hi John,
I find irritating that they made two kits with decals and painting schemes that are a complete what-if. People buying that kit forthemost ignores that it never became operational.
Regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 07:45:26 PM »

Pavla resin parts usable for Yak-6 upgrade/conversion:
Engine cover  - Yak-UT-1 part  No.?? (directly) or from set U72-30 (with modified face) x2  - if anyone has instructions for UT-1/1b and No. of this part please post it here (i lost my instructions after i finished mine)

Hi TISO! After I read your post more carefully, I realized that I have the Pavla UT-1/1b kit; here's a scan of a couple of the instruction pages, which show the part number you're looking for to be R3. I hope this helps! (Nice kit, by the way - one of Pavla's better ones, I think. And good work on your writeup about what parts are needed for the conversion.)

Hi John,
I find irritating that they made two kits with decals and painting schemes that are a complete what-if. People buying that kit forthemost ignores that it never became operational.
Regards
Massimo

Hi Massimo! I really wish I could understand better what the people at Amodel think about when they decide to release a new kit. I don't believe they will sell very many of this Yak-6M, while I'm sure they would sell many copies of any or all of the four aircraft I suggested in my previous post.

To tell the truth, I don't see much interest to build the Amodel Yak-6M, that was a prototype only, I'm thinking to a kitbashing.
Regards
Massimo

There was an older Yak-6 kit that originated with Apex or VES (but I'm guessing - it could have been someone else) that was reissued under the Encore name. Maybe this kit might be useful to combine with the Amodel kit? I hate to admit this, but I also have one of these kits somewhere - I could try to find it and see how good or bad it is!

Yes, I will buy anything if it has red stars on it... Embarrassed

Cheers!
John
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 08:28:35 PM »

I was curious so I looked among my storage boxes; I was wrong (gee, that never happened before...)! The kit I have is an old Russian (?) one of the Yak-4, not the Yak-6. However, there was an old Alfa Yak-6 kit which was reissued by Encore. I tried to find sprue images on the Internet; this was the best I could do:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-72-YAKOVLEV-YAK-6-RUSSIAN-WWII-TWIN-ENGINE-MEDIUM-TRANSPORT-ENCORE-/190594102166

There are several images on the page which can be enlarged, but they're not very good, since they were photographed with the parts inside the plastic bag. And in spite of what it says, the panel lines, etc., appear to be raised, not recessed.

Here's one that someone built:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/miguelludwig/3284122007/

One in progress:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:L5mRZuLIHy8J:www.network54.com/Forum/47751/message/1249370083/WIP%2B-%2BEncore%2BYak%2B6,%2Bsome%2Bmore%2Bdone%2B%26gt%253B+Encore+Yak-6&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

A listing from Scalemodels.ru of several Yak-6 kits:
http://scalewiki.ru/%D1%8F%D0%BA-6#encore_1_72_yak-6
(Scroll up and down to see them all)

I think I'll go and lie down now...  Undecided

John
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 08:46:19 PM by John Thompson » Logged
learstang

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 08:49:59 PM »

Good work, John and TISO!  It's nice to know about the Yak-6M as I've been tempted on several occasions to buy it.  I suppose I'll pass on it now.  However, what about the Yak-6 in the link, John, with all the bombs - was that a production variant?

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 09:48:33 PM »

However, what about the Yak-6 in the link, John, with all the bombs - was that a production variant?

Regards,

Jason

According to Gunston's "Osprey Encyclopedia of Russian Aircraft", the prototype, at least, was designed to carry a total of up to 500 kilos of bombload on five racks under the wing centresection. He also says further: "Though of low performance, about 1000 built and used with great effect in front line, both as transport and as close support and night attack aircraft with various arrangements of pilot-aimed bombs and up to ten RS-82 rockets under outer wings."

The English Wikipedia page is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakovlev_Yak-6

Two more versions of the same basic kit, as reissued by Intech and Zvezda; this time we have much better sprue images:
http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/intech/kit_intech_yak-6.shtml
http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/allies/ussr/broeyak6.htm

Now I don't dare to lie down - if I happened to fall asleep, I'd probably dream I was being attacked with 10 RS-82's launched from a Yak-6...  Cry

John
KL

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 10:11:11 PM »

However, what about the Yak-6 in the link, John, with all the bombs - was that a production variant?

According to Gunston's "Osprey Encyclopedia of Russian Aircraft", the prototype, at least, was designed to carry a total of up to 500 kilos of bombload on five racks under the wing centresection. He also says further: "Though of low performance, about 1000 built and used with great effect in front line, both as transport and as close support and night attack aircraft with various arrangements of pilot-aimed bombs and up to ten RS-82 rockets under outer wings."

Yak-6 NBB was made only as a single prototype!  It did not pass 1942 tests.  There were plans to install more powerfull engines, but those did not appear.  Yak-6 production stopped in fall 1943.  Instead ShChe-2 entered production.
Only 381 Yak-6s were produced - all were transports.

John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 10:22:34 PM »

Thanks, KL - I'll be able to sleep better now, knowing that I won't be rocketed to death. Gunston's book is approaching 20 years since it was written; I wonder if a new edition is in the works.

John

(Although there's more "What If" potential here, as in "What if the intended engines had become available, and it was put into service with those 10 RS-82 rockets?". I see it in a four-colour Il-2 camouflage scheme, with HSU and Red Banner emblems on the nose, and "Death to the Fascist Occupiers!" inscriptions on the fuselage...  Cheesy )
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 10:46:41 PM by John Thompson » Logged
K.Ingraham

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 10:27:21 AM »

Now I don't dare to lie down - if I happened to fall asleep, I'd probably dream I was being attacked with 10 RS-82's launched from a Yak-6

Really John, it's more like you need to lay off the garlic habanero buffalo wings just before bedtime.  Grin
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 02:06:09 PM »

Really John, it's more like you need to lay off the garlic habanero buffalo wings just before bedtime.  Grin

Among buffalo wings, I think those are the equivalent of an RS-82 rocket!  Cheesy

John

learstang

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 06:32:36 PM »

Among buffalo wings, I think those are the equivalent of an RS-82 rocket!  Cheesy

John

Or ROFS-132 rockets!  Now we are getting into that most obscure subgenre of humour - VVS humour ("A VVS pilot, an AVMF pilot, and an ADD pilot all walk into this bar...")!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 08:27:17 PM »

("A VVS pilot, an AVMF pilot, and an ADD pilot all walk into this bar...")!

Regards,

Jason

Don't tell me, let me guess - the AVMF pilot orders an extra-extra-large coffee, black; the VVS pilot orders a Molotov cocktail; and the ADD pilot forgets why he went into the bar in the first place and tries to put his bank card into the pinball machine to make a withdrawal...

John
TISO

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 11:04:27 PM »

I was also puzzled by A-model choice of Yak-6M. I welcomed and bought it anyway. It's a good IMHO accurate and pretty detailed kit. The only put off is the M version the only difference from series machines being the engine cowlings and retractable U/C. One of its engines will find a new meaning of life that is it will end up on A-models Yak-18 (which on my example has a rather crude and mishapen engine cowling). As for A-model selling this kit IMHO it will be bought mostly by the idiots like me who want to convert it to production model. Wink I still haven't managed to get my head around their choice of Yak-8 model (also one off prototype) which is a bit spruiced up Yak-6M.

Just a note on majority of series produced Yak-6 planes U/C legs were fixed in down position and undercarrige bays faired over. Test showed that max speed is approx. 10km/h lower but they managed to get rid of heavyish U/C retraction mechanism which alse improved reliability.

AFAIK all previous kits of Yak-6 are same old Alfa moulds. For conversion purposes of A-model kit they are unusable (engines, props... are horrible) shape of the nose iz wrong (too small and too pointy), no details in the cockpit, a bit wrongly shapen windscreen...

I have old Zvezda issue of this kit which i started to correct but didn't finish (i did mention "the dreaded curse of TISO" didn't i?). I basicly bought 2 Pavla sets for Polikarpov U-2 (U72-30) for this purpose (i got them rather cheap now intended for A-model kit) mostly for engines, engine covers, props and weighted wheels (+ there is no such thing as too many bombs, MG's etc.)
In Pavla set U72-30 for Polikarpov U-2 I mentioned you get this:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 11:36:13 PM by TISO » Logged

Disciple of Error
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: