Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Pe-8 Color question
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 11:30:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pe-8 Color question  (Read 15035 times)
Palanadine

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 09:15:38 PM »

Having the Zvezda kit, will follow your build quite closely indeed!  Grin

Regards,

Panayotis

"We cannot direct the winds, but we can adjust the sails."
Old Dog

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 01:32:47 AM »

Thanks KL, I'm currently leaning in that direction.

If I may I have a further inquiry and that concerns the interior color. The instructions specify a light gray. I have no clue if this is correct but with the location of the manufacturer, perhaps they know more than I do. Anyway I was thinking of a gray similar to that used in at least some of the IL-2's. Any other comments or ideas ?

Also the instructions call out black for the flight suits of the included flight crew. Is this an accurate color. I have seen a number of color or colorized photos of Soviet airmen and while a few seem to have dark colored flight suits they seem to range all over the spectrum color wise. Any knowledgeable information here would be appreciated. I normally don't put figures in aircraft but these seem to be so well done for the scale I hate not to use them. Thanks again ! 
KL

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 06:36:25 PM »

For interior colours check my posts at http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=895.15

following are examples of better preserved ?steel gray? A-14 paint:

SB wreck found ?somewhere in Russia?.  A-14 applied directly on duraluminum

Same SB wreck.  A-14 applied over ALG-1 primer

Another SB wreck preserved in ?one of the museums in Russia?.

Third SB wreck found ?somewhere in Russia? (I believe in 1998).  Perfectly preserved interior A-14 applied over yellow ALG-1 primer.  Flash makes all colours lighter then they normaly were.

My interpretation of paints that could be seen on Kiev DB-3 fragments:

Interior is definitely painted with A-14.  The paint is somewhat degraded (?chalking? and bleaching). Also visible is underplaying yellow ALG-1 primer.
learstang

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 07:06:54 PM »

Old Dog, I think Konstantin's correct about the A-14 being used.  For what it's worth, I use Testors Model Master Neutral Gray flat enamel for A-14.  I used to use Light Ghost Gray, but that appears a little too light to me now.  Of course you could just use AKAN's A-14.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Old Dog

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 10:37:49 PM »

Thanks guys that is most helpful, lots of grays available and it's always easy to lighten or darken.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: