Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
TB-3 Color
Sovietwarplanes
March 19, 2024, 03:56:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TB-3 Color  (Read 5818 times)
Seawinder

« on: February 15, 2012, 06:14:54 PM »

I'm (finally) getting to the painting stage of my ICM TB-3. Looking at Massimo's color chart in the Colors Before 1937 section, there seem to be two possibilities for the upper surface color: Zashchitnyi (olive green) and 3B (dark green -- darker and bluer than the olive green). The reference states: Zashchitnyi "thought to be the standard color" and 3b "sometimes used on metal planes (TB-3)". I'm leaning toward Zashchitnyi (for which I used Model Master 34079 on my I-15), but I'm open to recommendations.

Pip Moss
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 09:40:41 PM »

Hi Pip,
yes, this is the present state of knowledge; Akanihin has a bit modified these statements saying that olive was standard up to 1935, 3B in 1935-37. However, both paints were found on one piece.
Please, keep us informed of the progress of the work.
Regards
Massimo
Seawinder

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 10:47:09 PM »

Hi Pip,
yes, this is the present state of knowledge; Akanihin has a bit modified these statements saying that olive was standard up to 1935, 3B in 1935-37. However, both paints were found on one piece.
Hi Massimo. Thanks for the response. I'm not quite sure what you mean by that last sentence. One plane with both colors, or different planes with one or the other? It looks as if I'm going to go with markings for 1936, so based on Akanihin's comments, perhaps 3B will be the better choice?

Please, keep us informed of the progress of the work.

I'll post some pics once I've got some paint on. It'll be a while -- I'm just getting the engine nacelles and tail assembly installed. Then I have to try to summon up the courage to do the photo-etch spoked wheels!

Pip
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 11:13:46 PM »

Hi Pip,
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that last sentence. One plane with both colors, or different planes with one or the other?
On a piece of metal sheet, there was a layer of dark green overposed to a previous layer of olive green. I think that there is a photo of that wreck on the page.
Regards
Massimo
Seawinder

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 02:29:06 AM »

Aha, that's clear, thanks. So it sounds like I can go either way, depending on the year.

Pip
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: