Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Red Lightning(s) ?
Sovietwarplanes
April 20, 2024, 07:51:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Red Lightning(s) ?  (Read 5931 times)
Palanadine

« on: February 17, 2012, 06:37:39 PM »

Good evening everybody!

Was searching on the internet for information concerning foreign aircraft used during the GPW other than lend-lease planes, and came across a reference about P-38 Lightnings used, or at least tested by the VVS.

Is there any truth in that, or pure fiction?

Regards,

Panayotis

"We cannot direct the winds, but we can adjust the sails."
KL

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 07:15:49 PM »

This P-38 was tested at NII VVS after the war

it was a plane that made forced landing during operation Frantic.  More about P-38 in SSSR at http://www.airpages.ru/us/p38.shtml
In 1945, Soviets were not interested in P-38s any more.  There was a P-38 in flying condition in Yugoslavia, but it remained there (B-17 found there was taken by Soviets...).
Palanadine

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 08:04:06 PM »

I see... bit of a bummer though, a red star lightning would be quite a thing, but we can't have everything i suppose...

Thank you for the reply all the same!

Regards,

Panayotis

"We cannot direct the winds, but we can adjust the sails."
KL

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 09:12:18 PM »

I see... bit of a bummer though, a red star lightning would be quite a thing, but we can't have everything i suppose...

What is a bummer?  Both Soviet and Yugoslav P-38s flew with red stars!!!
Soviet P-38

Yugoslav P-38:

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: