Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Aleksukhin's Il-2
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 10:14:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Aleksukhin's Il-2  (Read 6240 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« on: February 29, 2012, 09:34:21 AM »

Hi all,
I'm trying to make a profile of the Il-2 of Aleksukhin.
I've found some photos related:

But, are all these photos of the same plane? There are some differences that let to suspect that there were many similar planes in the same unit.
For example, the flash: it looks red with a white outline in some photos, while it looks all white in another one. Besides, some photos show a sort of B on the fuselage, that is absent in other images.

For the camouflage: it looks a green-black plane of the late 1942/ first half of 1943 with the typical pattern of Zavod 18 and metal wings.

Any ideas on this subject?

Regards
Massimo
K.Ingraham

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 12:28:48 AM »

and before anyone paints lots of dark squiggles on their model, note that the airplane is parked under a camo net - those squiggles are shadows.

I make this pedantic comment based on decades of seeing a North Africa based RAF Hurricane profiled with an Italian style mottle on its nose and wing leading edges because the first of the profile artists failed to notice or understand the same thing.

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 03:11:28 PM »

Hi,
I've traced this drawing for the book of Jason. In one of the photos, the 'B' (cyrillic 'V') looks deleted with green paint.

Please, let me know if you see questionable points.

Regards
Massimo
barneybolac

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 10:23:16 PM »

Possible different marking requirements that took place over time may be an answer for the tail section not being the same? They simply may have just repainted sections of the plane as required.

Only thing I think may be in question is the colour of the trim tab on the rudder? I think it might be red not green.

Very well done profile though.
barneybolac

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 11:05:52 PM »

From the Red Falcons site.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fairaces.narod.ru%2Findex.html

barneybolac

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 01:32:29 AM »

I was going through some books I have that have some of the same photos that you posted & and one you don't as is the one below. Some are clearer & some are not cropped off as a couple of yours are. I tried to scan them but they don't come up very clear when you try & do that. Using a magnifying glass on the books the numbers look very similar.

The profile below shows a tail number. The numbers match on one of the photos that I have where the numbers are legible as well as a picture you have posted. I cant get a perfect match on all the numbers on all the other pictures but on some of them I get at least three perfect matched numerals on 1 or more photos.

So I would say it is all one & the same aircraft.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 03:21:02 AM by barneybolac » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 07:27:38 AM »

Hi Barneybolac,
thank you for the documents that you have posted.
I am confident that the plane was painted in green and black, despite other profiles show it in 3 shades, also because both the black spot of the tail and the stars with thin white outline are characteristic of the production of Zavod 18.
About the number 2 on the tail: it don't appear on photos, but there is a repainting where a number could have been located. Who traced the profile hadn't the photos of the rudder, anyway, else he could have traced the white frame on the trim.
I don't know if the trim was red. It's possible, but I think that red should appear lighter in photos , as on the stars, but I see it as the rudder instead.
Regards
Massimo
barneybolac

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »

Hi Barneybolac,
thank you for the documents that you have posted.
I am confident that the plane was painted in green and black, despite other profiles show it in 3 shades, also because both the black spot of the tail and the stars with thin white outline are characteristic of the production of Zavod 18.
About the number 2 on the tail: it don't appear on photos, but there is a repainting where a number could have been located. Who traced the profile hadn't the photos of the rudder, anyway, else he could have traced the white frame on the trim.
I don't know if the trim was red. It's possible, but I think that red should appear lighter in photos , as on the stars, but I see it as the rudder instead.
Regards
Massimo
Agreed as far as the two colours are concerned with green & black. Only posted what was in the documents for all to see I have no bias towards the three tone paint work. Your right on that #2 being painted out you can just see a trace of it under the darker paint. Interesting that Major Lomentsev took a few photos with that plane considering it was not his.  Huh
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 10:13:19 PM by barneybolac » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: