Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
some colour info wanted for Tu-2
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 10:05:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: some colour info wanted for Tu-2  (Read 9616 times)
nsmekanik

« on: February 29, 2012, 11:57:57 PM »

I'm sorry I'm getting a bit confused here as to where best to post things, as it seems things are being moved around a bit, so I hope I'm in the right place. I am building ICM's Tu-2 and I'm wondering about the colour of the landing gear, and gear bays, among a number of other things, but for the moment I'll start with that. I started this kit along time ago but put it away. When I started it I ended up painting the gear aluminum and the rest of the interior in humbrol # 140, I have no idea how I came to those conclusions, but I've decided to leave it as is for the interior. I've gone trough as much as I can find here on the subject so I was wondering if anyone might have a bit more information on the war time interior colour possibilities.

Also, if I wanted to post any in progress pics here, where would be the right place? I really do appreciate the effort that has gone into this sight, Thanks
K.Ingraham

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 12:18:07 AM »

from wence I copied a lot of photos.
Tomorrow I'll email you the ones I have, unless someone posts the links first.

Meanwhile, if anyone else wants to receive these, email me or post & I'll spread the wealth accordiingly. Look for it late Thursday/1 March.
nsmekanik

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 01:53:33 AM »

Thanks, much appreciated. I've seen a few pics on google searches and they all appaer to be post war versions with light grey landing gear and the interiors seem to have been pianted more then once from the pics I have. I'm thinking more along the lines of mid to late war, yes I know the canopy in the kit is inaccurate for that era, but it's seems to me that the landing gear in war time pics, when you can see it, is much darker, so I am just curious and would like to get it correct if possible.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 02:52:54 PM »

Hi Nsmekanik,
I've collected some photos here. I'm sorry if some conclusions on the camouflage are uncertain, but they could be useful all the same.
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/tu-2/tu-2camo/tu-2camo.htm
Hi Keith, if you have a collection of images, I'm interested to see them, please.

Regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 02:56:01 PM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
nsmekanik

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 02:12:45 AM »

Thanks Massimo, Your efforts are very much appreciated. I've gone through the site very carefully for as much information as I can find. At the moment I'm just trying to establish what the most likely colours for the landing gear legs would be. On closer inspection it appears that some legs are dark with the wheel hubs being much lighter, and Vice versa. I realize this may possibly due to where and/or when a plane was built so there may be know way to tell anything with certainty.

When I first started tis kit I painted the gear legs aluminum and the hubs green, and the cockpit a light grey, Humbrol 140, I can still change these colours if anyone more informed might have a better idea as to what they may have been for a wartime is airframe, if not I will leave things as they are. This kit, by the way, is not as bad bad to build as it seems to have a reputation for, I wouldn't mind posting my build of if I was sure where to put it. Are you considering creating a specific section for modelling?
learstang

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 04:17:43 AM »

Definitely post it, and I'm sure Massimo can direct you where.  For what it's worth, when in doubt, I paint the interior Testors Model Master Neutral Gray, which is I think a pretty good equivalent of A-14 Steel Grey, which was the "standard" interior paint for Soviet GPW aeroplanes.  There were exceptions of course, but if you can't tell for certain, it's a reasonable choice, even for the landing gear, with the wheel hubs themselves painted MM Medium Green (at least that's what I use).  I have this kit also, and I'd like to see how you handle it.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 07:36:33 AM »

Hi Nsmekanic, hi Jason,
the report would be highly welcome.
About where to post it, I suggest: Other multi-engined planes of the gpw, there are other posts on the Tu-2 there, even if it could also be considered a postwar type.
Regards
Massimo
nsmekanik

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 01:44:31 AM »

Ok Massimo, I will, but later, in the meantime  thought I'd post this for a reference, Humbrol 140, Neutral grey, and WEMS wup(would use primer)

Which I have to say is close to the medium shade in this shot

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 01:46:07 AM by nsmekanik » Logged
nsmekanik

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 01:00:42 AM »

Actually the more I look at things and compare I'm going to suggest that WEMs WU primer is a good match for A-14/A-14f 
steel grey, it does have a bluish tinge to it and seem to be a closer match to the lighter grey in the pic.
nsmekanik

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 03:18:39 PM »

Just taking one more stab at this, would anyone care to hazard a hopefully educated guess as to what the colour of the landing gear legs might be?
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 12:23:16 AM »

Just taking one more stab at this, would anyone care to hazard a hopefully educated guess as to what the colour of the landing gear legs might be?

I'd use A-14 myself (and I usually do!)

John
nsmekanik

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 03:18:38 AM »

That is what I was thinking as a possibility. I'm just going to add as well that after reading up and making some comparisons that I consider WEMs WUP(wood use primer) to be a very good match for A-14 and I now wish I had not painted my canopies just yet as I would have used that instead of Humbrol.
KL

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 06:38:12 AM »

That is what I was thinking as a possibility. I'm just going to add as well that after reading up and making some comparisons that I consider WEMs WUP(wood use primer) to be a very good match for A-14 and I now wish I had not painted my canopies just yet as I would have used that instead of Humbrol.

WEM followed Pilawskii's information and their "wood use primer" is blue.  Real A-14 is grey, not blue!

It's not "WEM's WUP" - it's Pilawskii's fantasy and it should be called "Pilawskii's WUP".  Same with "Pilawskii's IMUP", "Pilawskii's PUP" and "Pilawskii's wood PUP"

KL
nsmekanik

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 03:00:23 AM »

No worries kari, I've got his book and I am reasonably aware that his choices are more then a little suspect. I have a difficult time believing that he pulled his colours out of a hat, and that particular colour does match quit closely to what I see on my computer screen when looking at that particular series of pics of that particular plane in this thread. And it looks more grey then blue, depending on the lighting. Also, strangely enough, is just s touch darker and just a touch bluer then the A-14 in the colour section soooooo...... but then that is computer imaging.

I think I'm going to look into ordering some Akan paints and work from there, unfortunately we can only get the Acrylic ones.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 09:28:30 PM »

Hi Nsmekanik,
Kari Lumppio asked me to clarify that the nickname  KL is not his one, but belongs to Konstantin Lesnikov. Kari is not on this forum.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: