Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Su-24 and Su-34
Sovietwarplanes
March 19, 2024, 12:25:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Su-24 and Su-34  (Read 6785 times)
Palanadine

« on: March 27, 2012, 09:54:37 PM »

What is the primary role of these two aircraft? I know the Su-24 can be used as recon, and the Su-34 as ECM platform, but their concept is based on them being:

1) Attack?

or

2) Bomber?

Asking because they are missing links in my Sukhoi family-to-make kits, and depending on role, i'll choose the scale! Fighters/ attack aircraft go 1/48th, bombers go 1/72.

Going by NATO reporting names, Fencer and Fullback, they belong to the fighter/bomber category, but seeing as, the Su-24 will be HUGE in 1/48th, and the Su-34 doesn't even exist yet in the same scale, would be really handy to get them as 72ers!

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Panayotis

"We cannot direct the winds, but we can adjust the sails."
learstang

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 10:04:10 PM »

They're bombers, Panayotis.  The Soviets/Russians have at least since the 1930's in terms of fighter and bombers assigned even numbers to bombers - Tu-2, Il-2, Pe-8, etc., and odd numbers to fighters - Yak-9, MiG-15, Su-15, etc.  So the Russians consider the Su-24 and Su-34 to be bombers.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Palanadine

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 10:22:49 PM »

They're bombers, Panayotis.  The Soviets/Russians have at least since the 1930's in terms of fighter and bombers assigned even numbers to bombers - Tu-2, Il-2, Pe-8, etc., and odd numbers to fighters - Yak-9, MiG-15, Su-15, etc.  So the Russians consider the Su-24 and Su-34 to be bombers.

Regards,

Jason

Same thing as i was thinking, but confirmation would - and did - put my mind to rest. NATO nomenclature aside, it's indeed what the Russians consider them to be!  Grin

Thank you very much Jason!

Regards,

Panayotis

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 10:36:19 PM »

Hi Jason, hi Panayotis,
there are some exceptions to this. The Su-22  looks much more a fighter than the Su-25.
Regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 07:42:25 AM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
learstang

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 01:12:26 AM »

True; maybe attack aircraft are a grey area.  Interesting that the Su-25's conceptual predecessors, the IL-2 and IL-10, both had even numbers and both had "B" for "Bomber" NATO (ASCC) codenames - Bark and Beast, whilst the Su-25 has an odd number and an "F" for "Fighter" codename - Frogfroot.  As I'm sure we all know by now, things are never quite as simple as they may seem regarding Soviet aircraft.  Nonetheless, I would definitely consider the Su-24 and Su-34 to be bombers.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 04:25:21 PM »

seeing as, the Su-24 will be HUGE in 1/48th, and the Su-34 doesn't even exist yet in the same scale, would be really handy to get them as 72ers!

Well, if price is no object, this kit is considered to be the best Su-24 in 1/72 scale, although I've never seen it in person:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260989213686?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

John
Palanadine

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 09:21:06 PM »

Hi Jason, hi Panayotis,
there are some exceptions to this. The Su-22  looks much more a fighter than the Su-25.
Regards
Massimo

Well, the Su-22 was if memory serves me right, an adaptation of the basic Su-17 airframe for fighter duties... and also if i remember correctly, not that good....

As for the Su-24, guess form follows function, the American F-111 looks more fighter-like than bomber.

True; maybe attack aircraft are a grey area.  Interesting that the Su-25's conceptual predecessors, the IL-2 and IL-10, both had even numbers and both had "B" for "Bomber" NATO (ASCC) codenames - Bark and Beast, whilst the Su-25 has an odd number and an "F" for "Fighter" codename - Frogfroot.  As I'm sure we all know by now, things are never quite as simple as they may seem regarding Soviet aircraft.  Nonetheless, I would definitely consider the Su-24 and Su-34 to be bombers.

Regards,

Jason

Way i see it, the US wanted to have some measure of 'control'/ 'superiority' over then-Soviet designs, as much as ease of identification. The Soviets/Russians themselves, did have some nicknames for their aircraft, but didn't bother with names as much as NATO did!

Especially considering the different tactical and strategic consideration during the USSR era, when aircraft were designed with very specific roles. Nowadays with advances in technology they do start to diversify - Su-27 family anyone? - and it shows in the way they modify some of their existing airframes.

seeing as, the Su-24 will be HUGE in 1/48th, and the Su-34 doesn't even exist yet in the same scale, would be really handy to get them as 72ers!

Well, if price is no object, this kit is considered to be the best Su-24 in 1/72 scale, although I've never seen it in person:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260989213686?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

John

Pricey indeed, but also true that it is a top notch kit, imho, totally worth it. Already got my sights on one my friend!  Grin

Besides, from what i see on kit reviews about the Dragon/ Zvezda/ Italeri/ Revell kit (all same mold, isn't it?), i'd need to sink a lot of money and time to get an acceptable result.

Regards,

Panayotis
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 09:22:56 PM by Palanadine » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: