Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
A Tamiya's gift for Learstang: a new IL-2 at 1/48 !
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 01:32:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A Tamiya's gift for Learstang: a new IL-2 at 1/48 !  (Read 16162 times)
xan

« on: April 13, 2012, 06:45:43 PM »

It seems serious, Tamiya made a new IL-2 at 1/48 scale...
the nose shows that it's not the accurate miniature kit, but a really new one...

seen in ARC
http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=248089&pid=2358863&st=0&#entry2358863

and in scalemodels.ru
http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_38649.html

I think it's the first WWII soviet plane made by Tamiya...
the choise off the model is very strange; the accurate/Eduard/Italeri one was quite good...
Why didn't they do an pretty yak-9T for exemple?

Anyway, happy christmas Learstang!!!

Xan

Tyronesdaddy

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 07:50:53 PM »

I read on another website that Academy will be releasing a reboxed Accurate Miniatures IL-2 with Cartograf decals, so it looks like 2012 might be a good year for those of us who like the IL-2.
learstang

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 04:15:56 PM »

Thank you Xan and TD for the good news!  Now if only someone would release a new straight-winged two-seater in 1/72nd scale (for which I know Academy have the moulds).  Although I tend to stay away from 1/48th scale (I'm too much of a collector, and too little of a builder in that scale), I will buy this kit.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
K.Ingraham

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 05:26:20 PM »

Looks to me as if they are giving us another 'arrow'. Do I see that correctly?
Also, how about the wood/metal fuse/wing combos, if you can guess from these photos.

I can't wait for some better shots!
Learstang, I suppose this release delays your book yet again eh?  Grin
learstang

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 05:44:09 PM »

Looks to me as if they are giving us another 'arrow'. Do I see that correctly?
Also, how about the wood/metal fuse/wing combos, if you can guess from these photos.

I can't wait for some better shots!
Learstang, I suppose this release delays your book yet again eh?  Grin

Kevin, the sun rising every day delays my book!  No really, I do have a book, really...  Regarding the Tamiya kit, it does appear to be an arrow.  Whether it has the proper wooden fuselage is another matter,  I can't really tell for certain from the test shots I've seen.  It does appear to have metal wings, which is fine, as I believe the majority of arrows featured the metal wings.  Although 1/48th scale isn't really my thing, I will buy this kit when it comes out.  Research for the book, don't you know!

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
K.Ingraham

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 09:34:56 AM »

Good news is the due date is June.

It had better be really different or improved in some manner over the AM rendition.
Hannants just posted that their expected price is L55, about $88usd. My AM Sturmoviks with Vector and eduard goodies still came in well under that. I'm sure I'll eventually break down & spring for one, but unless Squadron does one of their occasional dumps, I'll only be springing for one.

Speaking of Squadron dumps, I once scored a Tamiya D-520 for $11 and the Beaufighter for $12. It's hard to pay a reasonable price for something when you got away with deals like those.
KL

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 06:32:56 AM »

Tamiya Il-2 model presented at http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10183392
Note Japanese spelling in English - Shutorumobiku  Smiley
and in Japanese letters:  イリューシン IL-2 シュトルモビク (プラモデル)  Huh

Inspite of all the research and team in Russia, Tamiya has plane's name wrong!

Officially, the plane was known as Il-2.  Nothing more and nothing less.

1.  It wasn't Ilyshin Il-2.  Ilyushin was chief designer but his surname wasn't part of plane's name.  Mistake is common, it is the same as saying Horikoshi A6M Fighter, or Schmued P-51 Fighter

2.  It was Il-2 with lower case "l", not capital "L"

3.  "Shturmovik" means "attack plane".  It did became a popular name for Il-2, same as "Stuka" for Junkers Ju-87.  Other planes designed for same role, like Su-6, were also known as "Shturmovics".  it would not be incorrect if "Shturmovik" was omitted...

In Soviet Union/Russia, boxarts, books, etc usually reffer only to Il-2, without "Ilyushin", sometimes without "Shturmovik"

« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 07:02:24 AM by KL » Logged
learstang

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 07:24:21 AM »

Whether it's Shutorumobiku (which I rather like), or the Flying Kettle (I made that one up), mine is on the way.  Actually, Das Fliegende Kessel has a certain ring to it.  Maybe if I repeat it enough, like the bogus designations "Il-2M" and "Il-2m3" it will attain acceptance.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
KL

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 08:25:34 AM »

Shutorumobiku is OK and cute.
Things are changing -  nowdays I-16 is not associated with "Rata" so intensely.
One day Tamiya and western modelers will get used to something like Il-2 Attack Aircraft - no need to memorize strange Russian word (Shtoor... what?).

Another Tamiya's mistake:
Painting instruction includes a paragraph about Il-2 camouflage.  Note "Green and Brown camouflaged upper surfaces" !!!   Undecided

learstang

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 05:41:36 PM »

Konstantin, if they're still using the brown/green scheme in the instructions, that is bad.  I'll give a report on the kit on this site when I receive it.  Hopefully I'll receive it this week.  No doubt they'll get some things wrong, but hopefully they won't be major problems (like metal fuselages on two-seaters!).  Interestingly, the posted photographs of the built-up Tamiya model show a reasonably well-done three-colour scheme.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
learstang

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 06:02:05 PM »

Reading that over, it looks like they just mention the brown/green scheme for the early Il-2's, which is of course completely wrong.  Even if it doesn't affect the painting of this model, it's a shame that they continue to spread this nonsense about the brown/green scheme.

Regards,

Jason
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 05:57:10 PM by learstang » Logged

- Warren William Zevon
Troy Smith

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 04:13:24 PM »

Another Tamiya's mistake:
Painting instruction includes a paragraph about Il-2 camouflage.  Note "Green and Brown camouflaged upper surfaces" !!!   Undecided

Edit...
Now I read the offending line, so I 'll have to edit this.... [note to self, never post before drinking enough coffee]

they have made a good attempt at matching the 3 colour scheme it in the diagram you show, but you have to look up the damn colours!
Note
XF-24 dark grey
XF-58 Dark green
XF-52 flat earth [5 parts] + XF 59 Desert yellow [1 part]

Oh, and XF-23 light blue for the AMT-7

I think there are better mixes, but this is at least in the area of a AMT1/4/12 scheme.

T
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 04:18:04 PM by Troy Smith » Logged
learstang

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 05:56:12 PM »

I presume XF are Tamiya paints.  I'm tempted to purchase them to see how closely they correlate to my paint choices - all Testors Model Master flat enamel paints - Gunship Gray for AMT-12, '42 Afrika Dunkelgrau for AMT-1, Interior Green for AMT-4, and Russian Topside Blue for AMT-7 (I also use Neutral Gray for A-14 - I wonder what their callout is for the interior colour?).

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
B_Realistic

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 06:36:58 PM »

Jason,

XF are indeed Tamiya colors. The paints are wonderful concerning airbrushing. The pigments are very fine and forgiving in usage and mixture. Nevertheless if you can give a good reference which colors can be used that would be great.

Michel
learstang

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 07:07:03 PM »

Well, I just received the kit, and it looks very nice.  I will give a full review on it in the next few days.  Tamiya paints are acrylic, aren't they, Michel?  I tend to stay away from acrylics as they don't work well with my airbrush.  That's why I use Testors; they work well with my Badger 150 airbrush.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: