Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
A Tamiya's gift for Learstang: a new IL-2 at 1/48 !
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 05:47:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Tamiya's gift for Learstang: a new IL-2 at 1/48 !  (Read 16160 times)
Troy Smith

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 08:39:07 PM »

Well, I just received the kit, and it looks very nice.  I will give a full review on it in the next few days.  Tamiya paints are acrylic, aren't they, Michel?  I tend to stay away from acrylics as they don't work well with my airbrush.  That's why I use Testors; they work well with my Badger 150 airbrush.

Regards,

Jason
Hi Jason
I have seen mixes for Tamiya paint for some VVS colours,  the one given for the blue mix adds white [10%]and blue[5%] to XF 23, and a 10% black to XF-5 Green,  from memory, and I have not mixed them up as yet to compare to AKAN.
The AMT 12 mix used the blue mix plus black,from a posting on ARC forum.
I didn't see a mix for AMT-1.

One thing that you can do with Tamiya acrylic is use laquer thinners, which makes it quite 'hot' and goes off fast.  It does do away with the lack of noxious solvent advatage of acrylic but you might wish to experiment.

You can also buy retarder for acrylic paint, which slows the drying time a little. 

HTH
T
learstang

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 05:10:22 AM »

Well, I just received the kit, and it looks very nice.  I will give a full review on it in the next few days.  Tamiya paints are acrylic, aren't they, Michel?  I tend to stay away from acrylics as they don't work well with my airbrush.  That's why I use Testors; they work well with my Badger 150 airbrush.

Regards,

Jason
Hi Jason
I have seen mixes for Tamiya paint for some VVS colours,  the one given for the blue mix adds white [10%]and blue[5%] to XF 23, and a 10% black to XF-5 Green,  from memory, and I have not mixed them up as yet to compare to AKAN.
The AMT 12 mix used the blue mix plus black,from a posting on ARC forum.
I didn't see a mix for AMT-1.

One thing that you can do with Tamiya acrylic is use laquer thinners, which makes it quite 'hot' and goes off fast.  It does do away with the lack of noxious solvent advatage of acrylic but you might wish to experiment.

You can also buy retarder for acrylic paint, which slows the drying time a little. 

HTH
T

That's the problem, Troy.  I don't mix paints (I know I'll never be able to mix it up properly again), and I don't use acrylics because it seems every person has their own personal "magic" to get them to work with airbrushes.  What I like about Testors enamels is I can use one thinner for cleaning my regular brushes, my airbrush, and thinning my paints.  No standing on my head whilst repeating an incantation in Old Welsh to get the acrylic not to clog my airbrush.  I know some people swear by acrylics; I just swear at them.  I did find out that the interior colour callout is XF 22, which is RLM Grey - too greenish for my tastes.  I'll stick with Neutral Grey.

By the way, I'm having a good butcher's at the Tamiya Il-2 and it looks a real treat.  It's not perfect, but it is the best Il-2 kit I've seen to date (and I've pretty much seen them all).  More to follow.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
B_Realistic

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 05:09:27 PM »

Jason,

indeed and the thing is that you'll have to learn how to use them like Vallejo Airs which are wonderful or the MM and Aeromaster paints.
Because my other hobby is or was airbrush I've learned to use acrylics.
Acrylics have the tendency drying at the tip of the nozzle and if not well diluted can give some problems.
So the best trick for that is just keep the tip of the nozzle clean.
But a good airbrush does wonders. I used to have a Badger 150.
Now I've got the Tamiya XF for varnishes and stuff like that and 2x Iwata SB's which are simply amazing.
If you got any questions regarding airbrush I surely will answer them gladly. Cheesy

Michel
xan

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 02:01:30 PM »

Hey Learstang!
Tamiya will do an IL-2 at 1/72 scale in febrery!!!
http://www.hlj.com/product/tam60781

Xan

learstang

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 10:11:13 PM »

Hey Learstang!
Tamiya will do an IL-2 at 1/72 scale in febrery!!!
http://www.hlj.com/product/tam60781

Xan

Someone else had posted that Tamiya were going to release this in 1/72nd scale, but there was no price.  ~$20USD is a very good price!  I hope they stick by it.  I for one can't wait - now if they'll only release the other versions, in all three main scales (including this one), then I'll be happy.  Thank you for posting the link, Xan!

Best Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
JP
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 12:04:00 AM »

In 1/48 at $88, does it offer a significantly better kit than the AM?  Because I have four of those (two single seaters, two two-seaters), and got them for like $10-15 a pop.  I can't see shelling out $88 for a fifth kit.
learstang

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 01:17:11 AM »

In 1/48 at $88, does it offer a significantly better kit than the AM?  Because I have four of those (two single seaters, two two-seaters), and got them for like $10-15 a pop.  I can't see shelling out $88 for a fifth kit.

John, you can actually pick one up cheaper.  I've seen them on eBay for $42USD plus $17 shipping.  Still a lot more than your AM kits.  It is a better kit, but the AM kit is still a nice kit (and AM got the cannon shell ejection chutes on the wing undersides correct, which almost no one ever does).

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
JP
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 05:17:50 AM »

Think I'll stick with those, then.  I'm having a hard enough time getting around to the ones I have...
learstang

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 05:26:54 AM »

Think I'll stick with those, then.  I'm having a hard enough time getting around to the ones I have...

Wise.  And cheaper, too!  I have to admit, even though I have Eduard's excellent "kit-bash" of the straight-winged two-seater (if you don't have it, they combined the parts from the AM single-seater and arrow, along with some nice PE parts), I might buy a Tamiya kit of this same version.  But then, for me, it's more a matter of professional curiosity/necessity.  I can't review kits if I don't have them.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: