Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Erik Pilawskii Strikes Again!
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 11:47:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Erik Pilawskii Strikes Again!  (Read 52082 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2017, 06:23:22 AM »

Hi Jason,
in my guess, it is the original factory painting of 1938.  Just to determine if it is the usual AII green, in consideration of its brownish look, or a previous shade.
I would give AII green as the most likely, although altered by the underwater environment.
This piece was from a plane that was long submerged in a lake, and then disintegrated in an attempt of recover.
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2018, 10:52:20 AM »

Hi, a new article from EP
http://www.redbanner.co.uk/History/trainers/trainers_spit_uti.html
Regards
Massimo
Johann

« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2018, 02:43:15 PM »

Here it is interesting - what did Piławski operate with coloring La-5F Galchenko in black-and-green camouflage?
And that it pushed him that he was AMT-4/6 and not AMT 11/12 Although even a cursory look at the picture of camouflage will suffice to understand the error.

learstang

« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2018, 05:40:27 PM »

That's interesting; I made a model of this very aeroplane (from the 1/72nd scale AML kit - not a bad kit, in my opinion). Mine was done in the correct two-grey scheme, however.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Johann

« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2018, 07:02:49 PM »

Just wondering where Pinawski came up with that there is black and green? And he as it asks a question why everyone decided that he is gray-gray)))))
learstang

« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2018, 08:01:58 PM »

Evidently Leonid Galchenko was still flying this aeroplane at the end of the war, as it was supposed to have taken part in the victory celebration in Moscow on June 24, 1945. By then it would have almost certainly been painted in the two-grey scheme. What I can't understand is why an HSU, like Galchenko, at the end of the war would have still been flying not only an La-5, but an La-5F, not an La-5FN. I suppose he really loved this particular aeroplane.

Regards,

Jason
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 08:52:02 PM by learstang » Logged

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2018, 06:33:43 AM »

If I remember well, Galchenko had an high rank at the end of the war. Probably he didn't abitually fly, or at least the higher commanders were not enthusiast of this.
Probably he loved his old planes, even his LaGG-3 had a long life and, when it was shot down while flown by another pilot in 1942, it was replaced by a new plane painted to match the previous one (or, at least, I think to understand so after the comparison of the photos and of the memoirs of one of his subordinates that were discussed some years ago).
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2018, 06:54:23 AM »

You're correct, Massimo. Galchenko was a podpolkovnik, a Lt. Col. at the end of the war. I don't believe VVS pilots over the rank of major habitually flew. For example, Kozhedub and Pokryshkin, who were still regular combat flyers and multiple HSU recipients at the end of the GPW, were also majors at the end of the GPW (so were Rechkalov and Ahmet-Khan, I believe). And it does seem that Galchenko did become attached to his aeroplanes.

Best Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2018, 08:23:38 AM »

A new article of EP, on UT-2 this time.
http://www.redbanner.co.uk/History/trainers/trainers_2.html

I've not read it, but I see a Yugoslavian postwar plane all in green. For what I collected from former Yugoslavia sources, the planes should be painted in grey, not green. Il-2, Yak-3 and perhaps other ones from the Belgrad museum show clearly grey and blue painting, as all the sources I've read.

Regards
Massimo
warhawk

« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2018, 03:28:54 PM »

"White 11" wears a curiously dark over-all scheme which seems out of character with the light grey livery usually seen on Yugoslav aircraft at this time...

What light grey livery usually seen on Yugoslav aircraft?

...and here has been interpreted as a dark olive colour which agrees with the available evidence in the image; in fact, it might be almost any shade.

Then why this particular shade? Or why do this machine at all, if You have no reference whatsoever?

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2018, 09:00:14 AM »

Hi all,
I see that He has published a new article on color photos and their manipulation.
http://www.redbanner.co.uk/History/AGFA_Photo_colour/AGFA-colour.html
The article is a strange mix of truth, misconception and ... his own way to think.
It starts saying that most people don't understand about color photos.
It comments some color photos of US planes that seem to show completely different versions of Olive Drab (ignoring that the same photos have a visibly different dominant hue on the sky and background, clearly recognizable and usable for corrections).
Then He continues about the charachteristics of Agfa films, I won't discuss this part.
Continues taking a pair of wartime relatively good color photos of Soviet I-16s, and distorting them by filters to make the green of the plane match to his unlikely chip of AII green; then, having ruined all other shades of the image in his process, makes strange things to recover the red of the stars, and (undeclaredly) repaints the feldgrau uniforms of German soldiers. 
He looks happy with these versions of the photos, despite their unnatural appearance.
So, he did the thing for what he accused other people, to manipulate photos on the base of their prejudices on known colors. Only, he did it worse.
It ends with his typical things on how incompetent is many people today etc.

Regards
Massimo

Troy Smith

« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2018, 11:49:13 PM »

It comments some color photos of US planes that seem to show completely different versions of Olive Drab

Well, that's because Olive drab varied, a lot, and also faded in different ways, let alone dealing with light conditions. 
eg
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234944613-olive-drab-and-some-confusion/

for example, this is a at the end of the war, but note the parts of the airframe  made by different contractors use different paint, and thus fade differently...

....   I've not read the linked article as yet, but the above should make the point on OD.

HTH
T
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2018, 06:44:08 AM »

Hi Troy,
Looking at the 'paintwork' on the label of the photo, I wonder if this photo is a real color photo or a colorized one. Anyway it's a beautiful image.
Regards
Massimo
otto

« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2018, 02:17:18 PM »

Many years ago I visited the Vigna di Valle aviation museum, near Rome. Some F-104s stored outside had the green of the grey/green camouflage turned brown. I wasn't surprised that paint changed after months or years in the sun and rain (I personally saw an industrial equipment changing from yellow to pink!). But, when I developed the photos, the camouflage was gray/green, no traces of brown. Who was right? My eye or the camera?
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2018, 07:24:06 PM »

Hi,
I have seen a strange joke of these colors on a G-91Y stored near Gemona del Friuli. The plane was painted with a layer of gloss trasparent protective over the camouflage. Where there was the gloss paint, the camouflage looked dark olive green and dark grey, more or less as when it was new. Then the trasparent paint started to peel off, and the colors under it had the worn look, dark brown and medium bluish grey. But they didn't change slowly after the peeling off: it seems that the trasparent layer changed their look. I am still wondering how this layer can have changed the hue of these paints, not only the darkness, in so evident way.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: