Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Erik Pilawskii Strikes Again!
Sovietwarplanes
April 19, 2024, 11:22:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Erik Pilawskii Strikes Again!  (Read 52353 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2016, 05:51:52 AM »

Hi Konstantin,
his nickname could let to expect something better.
Regards
Massimo
JP
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2016, 09:52:19 PM »

... or Googled "И-16 Техническое описание"

But for that, one would need to have a working ability in Russian.

I don't really feel the need to jump in on this.  I remain convinced that he has some kind of personality disorder, having watched one in action for many years.  Basic humanity urges us to take pity on such people, but their offensive behavior precludes it.

All we can do is make the effort to correct bad information where we see it.  I'm a member of a FB group and I've already had to break bad news to people who built before checking their info that they'd committed hours of work to a fantasy.

Dark Green Man

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2016, 02:22:38 AM »

you can copy/paste the URL into http://www.online-translator.com  or some other translator program.

sample :

http://www.online-translator.com/siteTranslation/autolink/?direction=re&template=general&sourceURL=http://www.airpages.ru/po/i16_00.shtml

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
KL

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2016, 11:32:40 PM »

... he has some kind of personality disorder, having watched one in action for many years.  Basic humanity urges us to take pity on such people, but their offensive behavior precludes it.

Cheesy

some of the symptoms:

-  he doesn't participate in forums specialized in Soviet aviation history, VVS models or in Russian forums.
-  he never asks questions, he provides "expert" answers
-  he doesn't rely on books published in Russia in last 10 years, he ignores information from Russian forums (or this forum), he doesn't use period literature available on the web (like I-16 manual)

It looks that his only sources are his own book and photos from the internet...

Regards,
KL
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2016, 07:02:27 AM »

Hi,
It looks that his only sources are his own book and photos from the internet...
yes, and he always misses to mention their sources. A lot of them seem to be from a 'fantasy site', as he defined it. Of course there is not a problem of copyright, but this looks fully intentional and often intended to suggest that he has a wide archive of his own.
Regards
Massimo
dancho

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2016, 05:03:19 PM »

I think the most frustrating thing about pseudo-scholars like Mr. Pilawskii is that if they can manage to get a book published they become de-facto "experts" no matter what. No other credential is required for, say, Wikipedia. The idea that publication automatically grants credibility is logically absurd but how is one to dispute it? A book could be a complete fantasy, but if it looks good and has flashy graphics it will be accepted by a certain group of people.

Surely in the future, with electronic media replacing paper, this type of fakery will be more difficult. Right now, I'd recommend to an ambitious young person (if publication were their only goal) that they work hard on developing a "revisionist" theory regarding something near and dear to the hearts of model builders--i.e. color. Then, without the need for research, write a book explaining how all previous works regarding say, USAAF colors from World War II are faulty and this "new" book corrects all the old misconceptions. Fill the book with plausible guesswork and outrageous, unverifiable claims. Then use "guerilla marketing" to promote the book on forums and perhaps a blog. Then publish the book. If a critic shows up, attack them ferociously and personally--but remember, all publicity is good publicity is all you want to do is sell a book (or a several books).

The goal is to become the "sole authority" on the subject. Then you "have it made." This strategy has worked for a number of authors--but Mr. Pilawskii made the fatal error so common throughout history--he underestimated the Russians.
JP
Administrator

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2016, 11:03:26 PM »

Unfortunately, his own book enjoys lavishly good reviews on Amazon by people who accept whatever is put in front of them if it looks nice.  There are a few good critical reviews, but most are sycophantic.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2016, 08:54:28 AM »

The book looks nice if one can't see the errors and the fame of the author. I use it only for photos.
It is a pity, because it could be a base for a wide correction, but the author isn't prone to hear at criticisms.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2016, 04:48:30 AM »

Someone needs to do a well-researched book in English on VVS colours, especially of the GPW. I'd love to do it, but my plate is a little full right now writing other (hopefully well-researched) books.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2016, 12:21:19 PM »

Hi,
I've proposed it to the address you gave and they looked interested, but they made questions as the number of pages, of drawings, photos etc to which I can't answer without having already done it. Let's see... for now I continue to develop the site to have drawings of other important types as Yaks and I-16s.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2016, 07:09:43 AM »

Someone needs to do a well-researched book in English on VVS colours, especially of the GPW. I'd love to do it, but my plate is a little full right now writing other (hopefully well-researched) books.

I did some research, I have very good understanding of camouflage development in Soviet Union between 1920 and 1945 and I also have some writing aspirations.  Smiley

The book (or books!) I am planning will be quite different from the book Pilawskii made or from books about Luftwaffe/RAF/USAF WWII colours.  I hope to explain camouflage principles, its origins, development, and role camouflage had in Red Army operations.  There is a lot o information available, I just have to put it together...  Wink

Just wondering, is there any interest for such a book??

Regards,
KL
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2016, 02:56:07 PM »

Hi Konstantin,
interest to buy it, you mean? I suppose that the interest of many is depending on the illustrations.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2016, 07:12:45 PM »

interest to buy it, you mean? I suppose that the interest of many is depending on the illustrations.

Hi Massimo,
of course, if there is no interested readers/buyers there will not be publishers for the book.
You are right, and I am aware of it - the book has to be heavy on graphic side...  are you are interested to participate in this project?

Regards,
KL
Apex1701

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2016, 09:04:11 PM »

Hi Konstantin,

Count me in to buy it.

Good luck.

Jean
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2016, 11:03:28 PM »

Hi Konstantin,
well, I have the high resolution versions of the drawings for Sovietwarplanes. I suppose that Tapani and Misos would be interested in the same way.
Some important types as Yaks and pe-2 are still missing, but I think that could be made in a year or two.
An important thing would be to find the photos. I suppose that copyrights on historical photos are expired, but the resolution required for printing is higher than for web use.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: