Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
I-16 type 10 of ICM
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 02:12:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I-16 type 10 of ICM  (Read 7923 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« on: May 28, 2012, 07:46:20 AM »

Hi,
I've seen the publicity of an Il-16 type 10 of ICM here.
http://www.hobby.dn.ua/product_info.php?cPath=374_79_80&products_id=64011
At a first glance, it looks the sprue of the usual type 24. Am I wrong?
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 05:43:24 PM »

That sprue shot looks like a later I-16 - look at the blunt spinner (and it looks like there's a tailwheel also, although there may also be a tailskid).  Maybe that's just a stock photograph.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 07:54:51 PM »

Hi Jason,
ICM is not new to some superficial works, as the Yak-9M with Korean insignas. I would be marvelled if they had modified the mould. The spinner in the photo looks the later type.
Regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 01:33:10 AM »

Hi,
I've seen the publicity of an Il-16 type 10 of ICM here.
http://www.hobby.dn.ua/product_info.php?cPath=374_79_80&products_id=64011
At a first glance, it looks the sprue of the usual type 24. Am I wrong?
Regards
Massimo

Sadly, it's just a reboxing of the type 18/24/28 kit with type 10 decals, not a "real" type 10. There is a significant difference in the arrangement of the exhaust stack outlets in the underside of the cowling between the types 5 and 10 and the later types. This drawing shows what I mean:

I'm really disappointed that ICM would do something like this. It doesn't offer much hope for the long-promised I-153 kit.

John
marluc

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 01:38:17 PM »

It shows a SCW Type 10 in the cover and paint plans,but the decal sheet is for a soviet machine.It would be wise to wait for a review to see what this kit is really like.The moulds should have been modified by ICM to represent an accurate Type 10,or an sprue with the new parts added.Greetings.

Martin
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 04:38:24 PM »

It shows a SCW Type 10 in the cover and paint plans,but the decal sheet is for a soviet machine.It would be wise to wait for a review to see what this kit is really like.The moulds should have been modified by ICM to represent an accurate Type 10,or an sprue with the new parts added.Greetings.

Martin

I sure hope you're right about a separate sprue of type 10 parts, but I'm not optimistic. There are some real differences between a type 10 and a type 18 (or 24 or 28). The main one (shown in the drawing I posted) could be addressed by replacing the underside centre section (the part with the wheel wells), although that might also require a bit of a change to the two wing panels where they join to this part. If I remember correctly, the shape of the exhaust outlets in the two cowling side panels should also be altered to a more tear-drop shape, but this one is not too obvious, I guess. A new spinner would be needed, too. If there was a separate sprue of parts, I would have expected to see an image of it, but who knows what might have happened - since the image of the decals (which are for the type 18 kit) doesn't match the box art, then maybe someone also screwed up posting the image of the extra sprue.

I can always use another ICM I-16 - I'll probably buy this supposed type 10 whenever it shows up at Modelimex or Hobbyterra just to get a good look at it. I just hope it doesn't have sink marks on the wings and tailplanes - the last one I bought was so bad I had to beg ICM to send me replacement parts. They sent them with no problem, but it shouldn't have been necessary.

ICM - we're still waiting for that 1/72 I-153...  Angry

John

(By the way - I haven't been able to find any mention of an I-16 type 10 on ICM's web site...  Huh )
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 07:08:21 PM by John Thompson » Logged
marluc

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 12:53:23 PM »

Hi John:

If there is no mention of the Type 10 in the ICM?s website,I think that they are showing the sprues of the Type 24 in the link.

If I remember correctly, the shape of the exhaust outlets in the two cowling side panels should also be altered to a more tear-drop shape...
As far as I know,only the Type 5 (an early UTI-4) had the side outlets in a tear drop shape.
Greetings.

Martin
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 06:59:13 PM »

Hi John:

If there is no mention of the Type 10 in the ICM?s website,I think that they are showing the sprues of the Type 24 in the link.

If I remember correctly, the shape of the exhaust outlets in the two cowling side panels should also be altered to a more tear-drop shape...
As far as I know,only the Type 5 (an early UTI-4) had the side outlets in a tear drop shape.
Greetings.

Martin

Thanks for the reply, Martin. I posted a question about this kit on Scalemodels.ru yesterday; so far, only one answer:
http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_39757.html

Unfortunately, he doesn't say how he knows that it's only a reboxed version of the type 18/24/28 - it could be that he's just looking at the sprue image from the hobby.dn.ua site and confirming that this shows only the parts from the original kit. Maybe on Monday I'll see if I can get any response from the people at ICM.

I remain hopeful... Wink

John
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 05:53:14 PM »

The only answer I've had, so far, on Scalemodels.ru, is that it's just a reboxed type 18/24/28 kit, not a real type10.  Sad

No reply yet from ICM...

John
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: