Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
How to fix the Trumpeter 1/48 MiG-3 (Early) exhausts?
Sovietwarplanes
April 25, 2024, 08:45:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to fix the Trumpeter 1/48 MiG-3 (Early) exhausts?  (Read 4066 times)
Seawinder

« on: May 29, 2012, 04:20:44 AM »

What needs to be done to correct this area? I assume one needs to cut away the fairings at the forward ends, but what goes in their place? Also, should the protruding strips above and below the exhaust stacks be cut down?

TIA

Pip Moss
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 12:58:47 PM »

Hi Pip,
I've not built the kit, but I can say that for a superficial correction one should remove the fairings and the strips, and close the gap forward.
However, I've the impression that all the exhaust pipes should be moved forward of a pair of mm both on the early and on the late type.
On the late type, the gap should be visible behind the stacks.
On the early type, the gap behind should be closed, and the vertical panel line behind it should be moved forward 2 mm. A rather difficult work, I would avoid to do it.
Regards
Massimo
Seawinder

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 12:45:55 AM »

Hi Pip,
I've not built the kit, but I can say that for a superficial correction one should remove the fairings and the strips, and close the gap forward.
However, I've the impression that all the exhaust pipes should be moved forward of a pair of mm both on the early and on the late type.
On the late type, the gap should be visible behind the stacks.
On the early type, the gap behind should be closed, and the vertical panel line behind it should be moved forward 2 mm. A rather difficult work, I would avoid to do it.
Regards
Massimo

Hi Massimo.
Thanks for the reply. It's a bit hard to tell from photographs, but it appears that the gap forward of the exhausts was covered with a curved surface rather than simply flat metal -- sort of the same contour as the incorrectly placed fairing on the Trumpeter kit, but protruding less. Is that in fact correct?

Thanks again.
Pip
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 09:08:06 AM »

Hi Pip,
it was a sort of lip, well visible on photos.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: