Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Airacobra Mk.I, Ivan Gaidaenko
Sovietwarplanes
March 19, 2024, 05:46:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Airacobra Mk.I, Ivan Gaidaenko  (Read 44521 times)
Pascal

« on: June 13, 2012, 12:40:04 AM »

Hi everybody,

My new project is an American plane with a RAF camo and red stars...

I choose Gaidaenko's aircraft because I've recently read his chapter in this book:

and I liked it!

I've found a profile...

...and this pic:

Could you help me to find some other pics and data about this plane (serial AH 636)?

Thank you in advance,

Pascal

Troy Smith

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 05:44:52 AM »

HI Pascal

can't help with this  plane specifically, but am posting some links to info on RAF Airacobras and their camo.  [and I don'r really see any RAF camo features in the above photo though] 

Also I'm now very cautious about trusting a profile drawing, for example this shows the remains of the RAF roundel, where it seems that standard British practice was to overpaint RAF markings and apply red stars before delivery.

There are photo in Red Stars vol.4 of Spitfire VB's in Iran having the roundels oversprayed and stars applied.
eg after stars applied, note stars on wing and just visible new paint/overpainted roundels.

Supermarin Spitfire Vb being prepared for delivery to the Soviet Union at Abadan, Iran in 1943.

There are some articles on this blogspot by Nick Millman, which should be of use, one specifically about ex-RAF Airacobra's in the VVS

http://amair4raf.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=airacobra

finally, links to a pdf of this

old, published in about 1970,he  and unavailable since then but very good.

various download links here

http://ebookee.org/Camouflage-amp-Markings-Number-12-Tomahawk-Airacobra-amp-Mohawk-RAF-Northern-Europe-1936-45_343846.html
Let me know if you are not sure how to download and un-rar files.

there were 12 on the RAF in this series and 10 on the USAAF, all well worth a read, a LOT of useful info in them, like camoflage diagrams and stencilling  and all are available for download!!

As many of these types ended up in VVS service and were rarely repainted they are of great use to the VVS modeller too.

HTH
T
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 09:46:43 AM »

Hi Pascal, hi Troy

[and I don'r really see any RAF camo features in the above photo though] 

I see a camouflage on the photo

it resembles to this.

Just the trapezoidal plate with the stars looks different than on the profile.

Regards
Massimo
Pascal

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 03:11:06 PM »

Thank you, Troy!

So many new questions... Undecided

Were the RAF markings overpainted?
What camo: Day Fighter Scheme or Temperate Land Scheme?

I have an authentic copy of

...and I agree with your words: "old, published in about 1970,he  and unavailable since then but very good."

Massimo, I see a camouflage too!

Regards,

Pascal

KL

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 10:39:15 PM »

Hi Pascal,
first question is:  "green/brown" or "gray/green"?

M.Bikov in Russian edition of Drabkin's book provides following profile:

Nick Millman explains:  "The nose stencils on rectangles of the original factory undersurface colour, indicating an early production aircraft with the high demarcation applied by Bell. The stencils were masked off when the RAF MU applied the DFS and filled in the Sky areas on nose and tail with the upper surface colours (also the reason why the camouflage demarcation in these areas on some aircraft is different from the standard scheme)."

Gaidaenko's Airacobra was repainted in Britain in green/gray scheme; it was similar to

profile you posted better represents colours!!!

Cheers,
KL
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:41:50 PM by KL » Logged
xan

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 11:42:40 PM »

I know someone who will be happy with your answer!
Pascal was quite sure he had to paint it in template scheme and was a little disapointed!
Mister K, your intervention are always essentials!

Xan

Pascal

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 11:52:57 PM »

Thank you, KL!

Gaidaenko's Airacobra was repainted in Britain in green/gray scheme

How I like these words! Because these colours are pleasing me very much. But I've another question yet: has Bikov's scheme representation been applied on any Airacobra, or not?

Regards,

Pascal

PS: Xan knows me... Grin

KL

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 12:54:40 AM »

Page 281 is missing in my pdf download!  Angry

I would apprecaite it if someone scans (300dpi) and posts (or email me) this page.

Thanks in advance,  Smiley
KL
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 09:18:00 AM »

Hi,
it's missing on my download too.
Regards
Massimo
Troy Smith

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 03:49:56 PM »

I think there is note of a missing page...darn, that's annoying.

But I have a paper copy, will scan when I get chance, will be a few days though as book and scanner are in different places....

Apart from the photo above, is there any other evidence for the profile drawing, eg records of the aircraft serial and bort number?

cheers
T
KL

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 05:45:14 AM »

A couple of colour photos:

In original factory camouflage

Re-painted in Briatain in gray-green camouflage scheme
KL

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 06:09:28 AM »

15 high rez photos at http://www.flightglobal.com/airspace/media/historical1939-1945/default.aspx?mq=601+Squadron

Pascal

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 03:30:13 PM »

Hi!

It's me with a new question about "my" Airacobra...

Gaidaenko says that he has removed the four wing guns on his plane. So, how then could seem the wing edge , after the removal of  weapons? A new fairing, without holes, couldn't replace the original one? Or just a piece of fabric, maybe?

Do you have an idea? Thanks to you.

Regards,

Pascal

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 08:47:34 PM »

Hi Pascal,
I suppose that they closed the holes with a piece of adhesive tape then repainted over it. It should be nearly unvisible on the model.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 10:59:30 AM »

Hi Pascal,

Here are pictures from http://lend-lease.airforce.ru/english/articles/romanenko/p-39
This is Capt. I. V. Bochkov also from the 19th GIAP in front of his P-400 Aircobra I number "16" in East Carelia in 1942:

The color around the fuselage red star seems to be different from camouflage color - looks like overpainted RAF roundel. Not sure whether red star has white outline or not (common since 1943, not in 1941/42).
Another Airacobra I aircraft of 19 GIAP (photo from Artem Drabkin collection) :

This is Airacobra I BX168 "White15" of Guards Capt. Bochkov, 19 GIAP:

This profile supports green/grey camo and visible overpainting of the RAF roundels. But no. "15" instead of "16" and no red tail tip. Red stars with thin black outline.

Another profile of the Bochkov's plane from 19GIAP, but green/brown now and red stars with white oultline. But on the other side it shows no. "16" (yellow or white?) and the red tail tip as on the b&w photo and also overpainted RAF roundel.

The b&w picture posted by KL on June 13, 2012:

shows red star with thin white outline plus repainting aound the star is clearly visible - very sharp demacration line and color different from original camo color.

Note the long thin barrel of the 20mm cannon in the propeller spinner.

If I have to make a decission as a modeller now, I would probably go for:
- grey/green camo,
- RAF roundels visibly overpainted,
- red stars with white outline,
- white "16"
- red tail tip.

Regards,
     66misos

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: