Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Interview with VVS P-39 pilot - life, operations, colors&marking etc.
Sovietwarplanes
March 19, 2024, 12:07:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Interview with VVS P-39 pilot - life, operations, colors&marking etc.  (Read 3996 times)
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« on: January 29, 2013, 04:11:49 PM »

Hi,
I found interesting interview with Porfiriy Borisovich Ovsyannikov at http://lend-lease.airforce.ru/english/articles/ovsyannikov/index.htm ho flew P-39. He quite openly discuss everyday life during VV2, flying P-39, fighting and a lot of other stuff.

Here are his answers regarding P-39 painting and marking:

"We are interested in how your Cobras were painted.
Ours were green in color. Perhaps we did not over-paint ours. They painted only specific portions of the surface?the regimental markings. In our regiment we had white spinners, and I think the rudders were also white. In the 72nd Regiment, they were red, and in the 68th Regiment?sky blue.

What kind of art did they paint on your airplanes?
We decorated them. Stars [denoting victories] were painted on the nose. In our regiment we had Alexey Semenovich Smirnov, who later became a Twice Hero of the Soviet Union.7 When I arrived in the regiment, he was a squadron commander and Hero of the Soviet Union. The young generation arrived and among them was a pilot who drew well. He drew a ?joker,? like on playing cards, on the rudder of his plane. There weren?t any other such art cases or attraction to drawing.
Our aircraft were not repainted in the winter. We flew them in green. The stars on the wings? I don?t even remember where they were, but I think they were only on the bottom. The serial numbers remained on the fins, but I don?t remember their color.

Do you remember your tactical number?
I remember one?42. This was already after they had shot me down and I had changed aircraft."

Enjoy it.
     66misos

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: